IGNORED

?? Direct comparison of Z6 to new Avon ST tires????

Couchrocket

Couchrocket

We've had our usual spate of tire threads w/ some good observations -- BUT -- I was wondering if there are those of us out there who have gone from Z6's directly to the new Avon Storm ST's (w/ enough miles on the Storms for good analysis)????

If so, what I'd be interested to know is how "just those two" tires compare in ride quality, turn-in, overall handling in the twisties, "on the slab at speed" comfort / stability. That kind of stuff. It is decision time for me for some new shoes before Torrey, and I like my Z6's just fine except for the inability to judge the rear tire wear accurately.

Thanks in advance for any insight from you folk who have gone directly from Z6 to Storm ST's.

Well that is just what I have done. The bike came with Z6's and I put a new rear on rather unexpectatedly, (love those wear bars...not), and since I was having the same handling issues, as soon as I got home I peeled it off and replaced both with Avon Storms.

I only have about 350 miles on them so far but the worst I can say is no suprises. This is a good thing.

Subjective opinion...the handling issue is reduced to the point of being a 'non-issue'.

They feel much more 'planted' than the Z6's at speed and the 'turn in' is lovely.

No wet runs yet...

Jim

If so, what I'd be interested to know is how "just those two" tires compare in ride quality, turn-in, overall handling in the twisties, "on the slab at speed" comfort / stability. That kind of stuff. It is decision time for me for some new shoes before Torrey, and I like my Z6's just fine except for the inability to judge the rear tire wear accurately.
In these tire comparo threads I've always wondered about the fact that the reviewer generally goes from a worn out set of tires to a new set ... how does anyone really remember what that old tire felt like 1000's of miles ago ?? eek.gif

I wish I could help you more, but I only have about 500 miles on my new Avon Storms. I have gone through 3 sets of the Z6s and I, too, am not pleased with the lack of wear indication down the middle on the rear tire. Also, my rear Z6s have all cupped pretty bad on either side of center, to the point of hearing a hum when cornering. I have even watched tire pressures religiously and still had the cupping.

I have even had Michellins on a previous Blackbird and the front tire was the one that cupped a lot instead of the rear like the Z6s.

So far with limited mileage on the new Avons, turn in is completely neutral and handling is great. Time will tell with the Avons. One of my deciding factors to to with the Avons was that the tread pattern didn't look as if they would be as sensitive to cupping like the Michellins and Z6s.

I recently replaced my Z6s with STs and have around 900 miles on them-- nearly 600 of that is in the rain. The ST is a very good rain tire--about on par with the Pilot Road, but much better than the old Avon sport touring tire.

The Storm handles more like a Z6 than a Pilot Road, in fact the turn-in is faster than the Z6 and for me maybe too fast. They seem to fall into the corner abruptly. The Z6 has a nice linear transition, much like the pilot road, except a click faster.

The Z6s squared off within 1K miles, the ST looks fine.

I am getting some scalloping on the rear ST, much like I did on the older Avon tires and with the scalloping comes a little noise, just like the Pilot Roads.

At this point I'm not sure if I am satisfied with the ST's. I really haven't had a chance to push them to their limits. I do like them better than the Z's but I'd say they are a tie with the Pilot Roads--we'll just have to see how well they handle as the miles pile up.

Couchrocket

Thanks for the info. I found the Pilot Roads "sluggish" re turn-in, and the Z6 very neutral and quick. Pilot roads were "hard" in ride quality, and extremely noisy.

So, I guess I'll give the ST's a go for one set at least. Some of the roads to and around Torrey should tell the tale! Thanks again for the input. thumbsup.gif

• 2 months later...

I have run both, on the Storms atm. About 6000 on them now. My Storms will need replacement soon.

Overall I can ride harder and have more confidence in the Storms. That's saying alot as the Z6's were great too.

One difference that I notice is that the Storms are not cupping like the Z6's did towards the end of their life. The Storms are going to outlast the Z6's by a considerable margin. Probably another 1000-2000 miles left (just a guess). I only got 5k out of my Z6's.

My vote is for the Storms. IMO they are a step up from the Z6's.

In the end, either tire is a good choice.

Archived