IGNORED

Top Box RT vs RS

becmat

I have a 2004 RT and my wife has a 2004 RS. I have an extra top box that came off my 04RT. I will not work on my wifes 04RS. I thought the BMW top boxes were interchangable. The rear rack on the RS is too narrow to fit the box. Is it possible to just get an RT rack and change them out? Is there a solution to this problem? I don't want to have to buy a special top box for her bike.

Any reasonable advise?

Mat.

Hummm... Originally I was going to post, "no way", but studying the parts list a bit, I believe that if you changed out all three parts, it would work.

SAAB93driver

If she has an '04RS with factory rack you need only change the "grid" piece to the one for the RT and the top box will ft. The replacement should have a kickup at the back and bolt in place of original RS one which is flat.

Hey guys,

Thanks a ton. I knew that if there was a chance it was possible to make it work you tech wizards would know how. I guess I owe a debt of liquid refreshment, when next we meet.

Mat

tom collins

before you get too excited. unless they changed the design, i added one to my 97 rs and it required purchasing a separate sub-frame assembly that you hooked into the rear top frame. you also had to cut holes in the rear plastic above the tail light for the rear supports to exit. then, you used a new rack assembly. at the time around 2000, i think it all cost about $250.

i hope they changed them so you don't have to do all that, but is not hard if you take your time on cutting the plastic.

good luck

tom collins

Look for a used deck portion of the rear frame / rack from an RT (eSpay / Boneyard) and just simply bolt (we made ours removeable) it to the RS existing frame / rack area ...

SAAB93driver
before you get too excited. unless they changed the design, i added one to my 97 rs and it required purchasing a separate sub-frame assembly that you hooked into the rear top frame. you also had to cut holes in the rear plastic above the tail light for the rear supports to exit. then, you used a new rack assembly. at the time around 2000, i think it all cost about $250.

i hope they changed them so you don't have to do all that, but is not hard if you take your time on cutting the plastic.

good luck

tom collins

Older RS's that did not have the rack installed from the factory need all the subframe pieces that are available in a kit from BMW as 71602317609 and costs about $135.

The rack installed at the factory on the later RS's (I think '03 and '04) already includes the subframe 46 547 662 047 and the cutout tail piece. The only difference is the grid or what BMW calls the luggage port. To make the easy conversion.you only need part number from the RT 46 54 2 313 951 which lists for $76 or about $61.00 from Chicago BMW, it will bolt on and does not require cutting the already cut tail piece on the later bike.

Archived