IGNORED

Metzeler Z6s

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

Maybe I'm just being picky but as I look for a replacement Z6 front from the various tire sellers they list one 120/70ZR17 which is of course the required size.

Metzeler lists seven different Z6 tires of that size

120/70ZR17M/CTL (58W)© RODZ6F

120/70ZR17M/CTL (58W)(E) RODZ6F

120/70ZR17M/CTL (58W)(G) RODZ6F

120/70ZR17M/CTL (58W)(K) RODZ6F

120/70ZR17M/CTL (58W)(L) RODZ6F

120/70ZR17M/CTL (58W)(U) RODZ6F

120/70ZR17M/CTL(58W) RODZ6F

Notice the letters in parenthesis C, E, G, K, L, U. Does anyone know what these letters mean. All are ZR rated tires. I can't find information on Metzeler's site about the letters. The specific tire that Metzeler recommends is the last one in the list, no letter in paren.

So I'm just wanting to know what it all means.

thanks

Aluminum_Butt

I don't know for sure it's the same, but on the rear tire there are also a couple of different letter options. I was told by SW Moto Tires that it refers to some slight differences in sidewall stiffness. Like my GT, Metzeler says that your 05RT should use the "C" rear tire. At least in the case of the "C" rear, the sidewall is heavier/stiffer than the standard tire.

If Metzeler recommends the standard front, I'd stick with that. It appears that SW Moto Tires only stocks the standard tire, so my guess is that there aren't too many applications for the other tires.

You want the "C" letter for the R1200RT/ST if you have a choice. The different letters are bike specific.

That's only for the rear on an R12RT, not the front, according to Metzeler's fitment chart on their international website. These are the Z6s recommended, and tire pressures (multiply BAR by 14.5 to get PSI. They're 36F/42R):

Front 120/70ZR17M/CTL(58W) RODZ6F - 2.50 BAR

Rear 180/55ZR17M/CTL(73W)© RODZ6 - 2.90 BAR

http://www.metzelermoto.com/tyres/fitmen...amp;IMAGE1.y=11

CoarsegoldKid

Yes, Metzeler's fitment chart lists as you say. I received an email from another tire retailer back east and he said I need the (K)designation, which is contrary to Metzeler and the SW Moto guys. The email I received from Metzeler did not answer my question at all. They just referred me to a web page that does not exist.

I don't want this to be a big deal but if sidewall stiffness is what makes the letter changes K vs. C and of course all the rest of the letters then it must be important. Can't it be easier to select the proper tire? Guess not!

Yes, Metzeler's fitment chart lists as you say. I received an email from another tire retailer back east and he said I need the (K)designation, which is contrary to Metzeler and the SW Moto guys. The email I received from Metzeler did not answer my question at all. They just referred me to a web page that does not exist.

I don't want this to be a big deal but if sidewall stiffness is what makes the letter changes K vs. C and of course all the rest of the letters then it must be important. Can't it be easier to select the proper tire? Guess not!

I suspect that particular is not sufficiently well informed in this case. Would you trust the retailer over the bike maker, and the tire maker? I wouldn't, and suspect you wouldn't either. Try and find a new RT with Z6s in a dealer's showroom. I think you'll find that the tires are as suggested on the Metzeler website. I did that just last week; the rear was indeed the C spec tire.

CoarsegoldKid

No doubt the rear is a © tire, what that means is a mystery. It was posted earlier that the letters designate sidewall stiffness. Nothing at Metzeler's site can substantiate that. If it's so then is a ©stiffer than a (U) or is it the other way. By the way my worn front is a (K) and for the record I don't have a problem with the tire except that it will only have given me about 4500 miles service. But it does bring up a question. There have been many riders posting on this forum that HATED their Z6s. Others don't complain about them at all. I wonder what the designation was on the hated Z6s. If they were factory originals then...I guess they just did not work for them. If they were replacements they may have been the wrong tire for the application.

John Bentall
But it does bring up a question. There have been many riders posting on this forum that HATED their Z6s. Others don't complain about them at all. I wonder what the designation was on the hated Z6s. If they were factory originals then...I guess they just did not work for them. If they were replacements they may have been the wrong tire for the application.

I have read a couple of reports (I think concerning Conti Road Attacks) where the handling has been improved by fitting the correct spec tire - in this instance "C" spec rear - instead of the base type.

The Z6 is a well regarded tire in the press - but again this may not relate to R1200RT's.

tom collins

i have been a metzler fan since my japanese bike days in the early 80s. i have had a number of z6 on my 04 RT. i love the tire. i did a track day a few sets back and ground clearance was the only issue, not traction. wet weather - excellent. does not follow grooves. does not cup until very late in its wear. doesn't sing until very late. i get about 6,000 per set and i have been told i ride hard but i don't really think so. when the front wears down at around 6k, i replace the set so i really haven't had the belt show through like some have.

just my experience.

tom collins

I am on my second set on Z6's after finally wearing out the Pilot Sports the bike came with. I really didn't care for those tires, very noisy from the first time I picked up the bike. When I got home I checked the tire pressure thinking that the source of the tire noise was possibly related to low pressure. The pressure was correct.

On the replacement I went with the US Metzler web site fitment charts that specified the C rear and standard front size. In doing a little research I found the C rear was indeed a heavier tire that correlated with the stiffer sidewall theory. Tread depth was the same on the C and non C tires.

I am on my second set of Z6's and have been very pleased with their grip and wet weather performance. I am getting about 8000 miles per set with slightly more wear on the rear than the front. No cupping or noise for the life of the tires. These are factory approved tires and they meet my approval as well thumbsup.gif

I will likely get the same set again when the current tires are worn out.

CoarsegoldKid

I finally got to see the Metzeler Brochure and on page 10 it contradicts the fitment web page. Fitment web page apparently calls out an extended mileage spec tire, where as the brochure says spec "K" for the front. Now I'll see what the tire retailers are selling.

thanks for listening to this thread

Page 28 and 29 give some insight into what the other letter spec tires are for.

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/media/metzeler_full_07_lo.pdf

I finally got to see the Metzeler Brochure and on page 10 it contradicts the fitment web page. Fitment web page apparently calls out an extended mileage spec tire, where as the brochure says spec "K" for the front. Now I'll see what the tire retailers are selling.

thanks for listening to this thread

Page 28 and 29 give some insight into what the other letter spec tires are for.

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/media/metzeler_full_07_lo.pdf

I find that interesting because I was in the local dealer's showroom a few hours ago, and looked a brand new '07 R12RT. The bike, just out of the crate last week, is shod with Z6s. It had the "C" spec rear tire, but no letter designation on the front tire that I could see.

Is this brochure what your retailer was using as a guide? The brochure is from Metzeler USA, whereas the fitment chart website I looked at was Metzeler International. Wonder who's right? Never heard of a K spec front.

Archived