IGNORED

Garmin 2730 - audio out = Mono or Stereo?

E30TECH

I ordered the 2730 on Saturday. The mounting kit came with the power/audio leads.

I'd like to get started with the installation of the cable, but I'm not sure if I need to use the stereo or mono cable.

The description says

Send audio to the car stereo through the integrated FM wireless transmitter or 3.5 mm stereo headphone/line-out plug

But I wont be using the line out plug - I'll be using the cable from the mounting kit.

Rocket_Cowboy

Using the power cable from the mounting kit, that's a mono out. For stereo, you'll want to use the output on the right side of the unit.

Using the power cable from the mounting kit, that's a mono out. For stereo, you'll want to use the output on the right side of the unit.

The sound will come out of both speakers even though it is mono - right? It just combines the 2 channels/speakers (?)

Thanks for the reply

Rocket_Cowboy

Yes, with the correct cable, you should get audio in both speakers. With the wrong cable, you'll get audio in one speaker only.

But I wont be using the line out plug - I'll be using the cable from the mounting kit.

I don't have a 2730 but I read up on them and the audio connections when I was shopping for a GPS. This is what I read in a couple of places about audio output. I may have gotten this from an email inquiry to either Garmin or Autocom but I didn't keep the message so I'm not sure of the source.

The Garmin power/audio cable was designed for the 2610, which had no audio jack. The only audio output was the voice prompts, which were mono. The power connector routed the audio output from the plug connector on the back of the unit to the 2.5mm "mini plug" on the cable.

The 2730 was, I think, the first unit that needed stereo music output for XM radio, etc. Garmin put a 3.5mm headphone jack (stereo) on the side of the unit.

Now this is the part that I was told. Although the existing Garmin power/audio cable will power the 2730, the audio does not route though the plug. If that is true, you could connect a plug to the jack on the cable but there won't be any signal. I'd see if I could test it before I purchased a special cable (my Autocom came with a cellular phone patch cable with a 2.5mm plug on one end and a 3.5mm plug on the other. You could probably use something like that to test your output.

I think Garmin now offers a Streetpilot power cable that does not include the audio jack.

I ended up buying a Zumo which has a power-only cable and a 3.5mm stereo output jack on the cradle.

Although the existing Garmin power/audio cable will power the 2730, the audio does not route though the plug. If that is true, you could connect a plug to the jack on the cable but there won't be any signal

Boy do I hope you are wrong eek.gif

It does make sense that it was used for the 2610, but I can't see how they can sell an adaptor and claim it would work for a 2730 if it doesn't.

I'd still need the cable as it is molded in with the power cable.

I should be getting the GPS by next week. i didn't realize the place I ordered it from was closed until tomorrow. I need this thing wired up before SAMSAR's tech day as I already removed and sold my Quest.

Rocket_Cowboy

I'll test mine with the 2730 tonight and let you know whether I get any audio at all out of the power cable jack, or if I can even get a mono signal.

I have a 2730 and you will get a signal out of the plug on the cable. It's mono and if you use a stereo plug it will be spotty at best as contact is made to only one part of the plug, either the left or right speaker will work, if you jiggle it you can get both but it won't stay that way.

For stereo, you have to use the plug on the left side of the unit or the FM transmitter.

Boy do I hope you are wrong eek.gif

It does make sense that it was used for the 2610, but I can't see how they can sell an adaptor and claim it would work for a 2730 if it doesn't.

I'd still need the cable as it is molded in with the power cable.

I should be getting the GPS by next week. i didn't realize the place I ordered it from was closed until tomorrow. I need this thing wired up before SAMSAR's tech day as I already removed and sold my Quest.

E30, I'll take a stab at this. Think of the audio jack attached to the power cord as the feed to the speaker that is molded into the cig lighter adapter.

O.K. That speaker is not present on the motorcycle mount wiring harness. Garmin has provided the jack attached to the wiring harness to feed the speaker/speakers of your choice, be they headphones or whatever. Now, since the speaker attached to the cigarette lighter is a single, small 2" speaker it's output can only be mono, and so it is.

If you want stereo sound you will need the audio out on the side of the unit.

I really hope this clears things up for ya! grin.gifgrin.gif

You're gonna love it. Have you decided how to mount it yet?

This is what I'm experimenting with:

BMR Products

Rocket_Cowboy

Yup, what Bryant and Marco said ... the jack on the power cable from the motorcycle mount is mono, and is a size smaller than typical headphones (2.5mm instead of 3.5mm). It's identical to the mono output on my V1 remote audio lead.

Since the 2730's car power adapter has the same speaker in the power plug, that's what's driving it. It definitely works, I use the 2730 in rental cars frequently when I fly rather than drive between customer visits.

Hope that helps.

I stand corrected in my statement that the plug on the cable does not work. I'm glad someone with first hand knowledge spoke up. Good point about the car adaptor; I didn't think about that.

Even so, I would also use the jack on the side of the unit to get my audio in stereo.

You may want to tape the plug on the cable to keep water out.

Thanks for all the replies...

"It's mono and if you use a stereo plug it will be spotty at best as contact is made to only one part of the plug"

"Think of the audio jack attached to the power cord as the feed to the speaker that is molded into the cig lighter adapter. "

"You may want to tape the plug on the cable to keep water out"

"Have you decided how to mount it yet?"

I have both, a mono and a stereo cable mounted on the RT right now. Thanks for letting me know how a stereo cable will work on a mono jack (before I found out the hard way).

I didn't think about the cig lighter adaptor with the 1 speaker....Good point.

I probably will tape the mono lead off and use the stereo jack.

I have 2 ways I am going to mount it. Once complete, i will take some pics and post them.

One way is with a custom mount that was made by a friend here. That utilizes a RAM mount method.

The other way is going to be with the RAM ball mounted on one of the handle bar bolts. Both are currently on the bike, so I will see wich way I prefer.

Thanks agian for all the help thumbsup.gif

Archived