IGNORED

R12RT: What was your brake pad life?

Gkgeiger

I'm interested because I have a friend with less than 10k miles who's rear pads are worn out. I have 29k miles and my rears are close, but not ready. My fronts are good. I would think that the fronts would go first. I know from working in an auto dealership for years that people have different driving styles, but I'm just try to get an average.

I've got about 22,00 kms (13,600 mi), and I've got plenty left on both front, and rear.

Maybe he's resting his right foot on the brake pedal?

I have 20K on my RT, including 3 track days, and have plenty of pad thickness left both front and rear. I weigh only 150 lbs and rarely carry a pillion, which may be extending my pad life.

Jay

...I would think that the fronts would go first. I know from working in an auto dealership for years that people have different driving styles, but I'm just try to get an average.

My experieince with BMW has been that the rear pads go first. I don't know if the thickness is diff from the front or not. I do know that you have at least twice the total swept area on the 2 front discs relative to the single disc rear, and that LBS means that rear pads are used EVERY time you do any braking.

I'm interested because I have a friend with less than 10k miles who's rear pads are worn out. I have 29k miles and my rears are close, but not ready. My fronts are good. I would think that the fronts would go first. I know from working in an auto dealership for years that people have different driving styles, but I'm just try to get an average.

Thanks guys for responding. What I'd really like to hear is when you actually replaced your pads and what indicator you used.

I changed the front pads for the first time at 52,000 miles and the rear pads at 61,000 miles.

Your friend must only use the rear brake to stop. A very dangerous practice.

I changed the front pads for the first time at 52,000 miles and the rear pads at 61,000 miles.

Your friend must only use the rear brake to stop. A very dangerous practice.

WOW!! That seems like a lot. Of course I don't know what kind of riding you do, but if most of your riding is freeway or Interstate I can understand the mileage. A lot of my riding is done in hilly and curvy areas, where you use your brakes more. I try to get to southern Ohio as much as possible and go to W. Va., VA., Pa., N.C., and Tn. when possible. Thanks for your input, Frank.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

I live in an area with lots of hills, for the long down-hills dropping down a gear or two (or three) keeps you from having to brake so much--usually not any braking at all.

I have an 05 RT, when I collected it after the first service, I was told to watch the rear pads as they might wear out before 10k. I've done 22k and they are still fine.

Archived