IGNORED

Alternator belt replacement

bubblehead

I have about 38K on my 1150RT so I ordered the belt to replace when I do the service this weekend. I noticed that the book calls for a special tool, but I can't get a clear look at it to see what it is. How can you tension the belt with out the tool? I have a torque wrench, so that isn't a big deal, but .... ??? confused.gifconfused.gif

Thanks in Advance!

OK, I found an article on the oilheads site that should work.... It suggests using a long screwdriver to pry, but the torque is 5-6 ft lbs, so not too much. I'l give it a try... dopeslap.gif

OK, I found an article on the oilheads site that should work.... It suggests using a long screwdriver to pry, but the torque is 5-6 ft lbs, so not too much. I'l give it a try... dopeslap.gif

The belt needs to be tightened so you can just twist it through 90 degrees at the centre of the longest run.

Andy

Jim VonBaden

Just be VERY careful that as you are prying up with the screwdriver you are not putting pressure on the Hall Sensor wiring that runs up there.

That would be very bad! bncry.gif

Jim cool.gif

PS I never use the special tool. It is too fussy for me.

Sierra Smokey
Two nuts locked together on the adjustment stud, and you can use your torque wrench.

That's the way I do it! thumbsup.gifBut no torque wrench... I do the 90 degree twist and shout.

Two nuts locked together on the adjustment stud, and you can use your torque wrench.

Would that be an M8 x 30 ?

Let me rephrase my question...

Are the two nuts you're suggesting, a metric size M8 x 30? Thanks, I love cheap and easy solutions...

dang... it tells me the page can't be found..... dopeslap.gifconfused.gif

when I get through, it tells me I'm not authorized to view the page... frown.giffrown.gif oh well

dang... it tells me the page can't be found..... dopeslap.gifconfused.gif

when I get through, it tells me I'm not authorized to view the page... frown.giffrown.gif oh well

Interesting.....I'm not authorized and I can get in.

It's a 03:40 min long video,13.4MB in size.

I just replaced mine a week ago. Using a screwdriver with a large end, you can slip it under the alternator and just twist to tension the belt. No trouble with any wiring under there. You then grasp the belt and twist it. When you can twist it no more than 90 degrees, tighten one of the bolts that holds the alternator and then tighten the rest. Easy and takes only a few minutes. If you can turn the belt 90 degrees but no more, your belt won't be over tensioned or under tensioned. No need for anything fancier.

Jim VonBaden
I just replaced mine a week ago. Using a screwdriver with a large end, you can slip it under the alternator and just twist to tension the belt. No trouble with any wiring under there. You then grasp the belt and twist it. When you can twist it no more than 90 degrees, tighten one of the bolts that holds the alternator and then tighten the rest. Easy and takes only a few minutes. If you can turn the belt 90 degrees but no more, your belt won't be over tensioned or under tensioned. No need for anything fancier.

Don't be fooled, there IS wiring for the Hall Effect Sensor under there.

Jim cool.gif

Is it necessary to go back in after 600 miles and check tension as when the bike was new?

Apparently not on later belts.

You would be able to tell if the belt was too loose due to the battery light staying on above idle, Also when the system was being loaded (lots of lights,ABS etc - you would hear screaming from the belt sliding over the alternator pulley.

Andy

Andy

AAAHHHHHH, worked that way, thanks a bunch!!!! Mine seems to be working fine, the belt showed almost no wear, so I'll keep it on the bike as a spare just in case.... 8-)

Archived