IGNORED

Anyone try to re-do their custom seat?

STL RT Rider

STL RT Rider

I'm seriously thinking of saving myself $250 and repositioning the foam under my Bill Mayer seat myself. It should be easy enough to remove the staples underneath that hold the leather in place and trim the foam back. However, I'm concerned about trying to tack the seat cover back on again.

Do you suppose I can just tack the staples back in? That's a hard plastic seat pan and I'm unsure how Mayer does it at their shop, by hand or machine.

If anyone has experience with trying this on any seat I'd like to hear about it. Thanks!

I had the stock seat cover off several times before finally sending the seat off. No Problem to remove and replace if you make minor adjustments to the foam. However, you are going to have to buy at least a good quality hand staple gun and purchase some stainless steel staples. 1/4" long worked fine for me.

GoGo Gadget
I'm seriously thinking of saving myself $250 and repositioning the foam under my Bill Mayer seat myself.

I have done it on several seats. My wife is vertically challenged and I shaved her seat down for her. After successfully doing that, a friend in a similar situation asked me to do hers as well. Mark the leather and seat pan, so you can lined everything back up as close as possible to the original set up. If you are only trimming a portion of the foam, leave the other portion stapled in place and peel back what you need to gain access.

By an electric stapler and take a few practice shots into the bottom of the seat pan where the foam is thickest. That way you know how much pressure you need to get the staple fully inserted.

All that being said, it was on a stock seat and if I screwed it up, we were p[repared to buy a custom seat anyway. Doesn't Bill Mayer gurantee the seats and offer to fix any problems?

STL RT Rider

I was afraid my hand staple gun might not work. Trouble is, I can't even find it to give it a try. I think I'll just try and find an upholstery shop to see if they can do it for me.

Thanks for the replies.

STL RT Rider

Doesn't Bill Mayer gurantee the seats and offer to fix any problems?

Yes they do, but I bought this bike used with the seat already on it, (and made for a guy smaller than I), so it doesn't fit well at all.

Sorry thought it was a Rick Mayer seat, might want to see if Bill has the same warranty.

please see Mr Mayer's website, he will fix a seat that was purchased on a bike for a small charge, not a full 250.

And if you have purchased a bike with one of my saddles on it, and it doesn't fit you quite right, as long as I don't have to alter the cover I will rebuild it to suit you for $25.00 plus frt. If a new cover is needed, it will cost you $135.00 in vinyl and $250.00 in leather.

Somethig that has worked well for me is ... after you are certain of the final fit ... put in a couple of pop rivets to hold the cover in place; sometimes the "owner-installed" staples do not hold as well if not "shot" into the pan with an air stapler. In fact, some of the custom seat builders now use rivets.

Archived