IGNORED

Zumo is mounted!

Volfan615

Thanks to the great custom mount from forum member Jakfrost I have the Zumo mounted up. And thanks to other members here I have it powered up from the factory GPS harness. This forum is great! thumbsup.gif

zumo1.jpg

zumo2.jpg

Very nice set-up - I want to copy you exactly.

I just ordered a zumo 450 (don't need all the goodies of the 550), the BMW wire harness that plugs into the connector by the front fork, and the mount from jakfrost. What else do I need to get everything installed and mounted?

I assume I have to connect the BMW wire harness to the zumo power cord and order an arm to attach to the ball on the base mount and the ball on the GPS cradle. Does the GPS mount that comes in the kit have a ball attachment to the cradle? - if not, I guess I'll need to get one of those too.

Help appreciated.

Every thing else you will need should come in the box with your Zumo. You will just solder or crimp the wires from the BMW connector onto the Zumo power lead and then plug into the factory harness.

Crazy_Canuck
Every thing else you will need should come in the box with your Zumo. You will just solder or crimp the wires from the BMW connector onto the Zumo power lead and then plug into the factory harness.

What factory harness are you talking about?

The one between the forks that was supplied for the Navigator III.

Crazy_Canuck

The one between the forks that was supplied for the Navigator III.

Dang! I didnt know about that. I will have to look into rigging my Iway500c to that harness. I assume that there is 12v pair of wires in the harness? How do use the existing harness to fit other GPS units.

Thanks

You can get BMW part number 83300413585 pictured below and splice onto your GPS power lead. The yellow wires are labeled 1 - 2 - 3. Wire 1 should go to the neg. wire on your power lead and wire 3 should go to positive. You can clip wire number 2 as it is used as a speed sensor with the Navigator III. Then you can plug the white connector in to the factory harness. FYI... the factory harness (connector) has a black cap plugged into it. Just pull that out.

gps-harness.jpg

I am just about to order a Zumo 550 for my R12RT . How does your mount work with a tank bag ?

Mike

Well this is how Jakfrost replied to me when I asked that question. I don't have a tank bag yet so I haven't tried it.

Glad you are happy with it Rick...when I use the tank bag, which is almost never, I change the 'double 1" socket arm' from the 1.75" to the 3" arm. Brings the 376 up to just below the guages and unless I really stuff the tank bag I can see the GPS just fine. I can always lean ahead a little and then its in full view.

You can get BMW part number 83300413585 pictured below and splice onto your GPS power lead. The yellow wires are labeled 1 - 2 - 3. Wire 1 should go to the neg. wire on your power lead and wire 3 should go to positive. You can clip wire number 2 as it is used as a speed sensor with the Navigator III. Then you can plug the white connector in to the factory harness. FYI... the factory harness (connector) has a black cap plugged into it. Just pull that out.

Does anyone know the equivalent part number for the R1150RT?

Crazy_Canuck

Thanks for the info Volfan615. thumbsup.gif

You can get BMW part number 83300413585 pictured below and splice onto your GPS power lead....

Hi. I've attempted to find this harness on a couple of dealer sites and haven't had any luck (none recognize the part number.) Did you happen to purchase this online and if so, can you please advise which site?

Thanks thumbsup.gif

That is a very cool mount indeed...much nicer looking than what I did (Touratech solution with extended bolt in the handlebar). How does it work?

The Jakfrost mount looks great. Will this mount on an 02 1150RT? If so, where do I learn more about the Jakfrost mount. Thanks and ride on

You'll love it even more once you hook up the XM Radio. Just got a GXM30 on ebay for $179 and it's incredible.

I just ordered one off of Ebay also. It should be here tomorrow. Where did you mount it?

thanks! I've been waffling on a GPS for a while and was thinking zumo or streetpilot. Once I made that major decision I needed to figure out the mount and wiring and you've solved both problems.

Sitting on my bike with the BMW bag I can see where you'll have to mount low and look over the bag or go high and block the display a bit - no way around it.

Anyone have a favorite place to buy garmin?

I just bought the zumo 450 from Amazon ($620) and an SD Card. I called MAX BMW in NH and they have 5 more of the adapters($25) in stock. That will be a nice ride on Saturday. Now I just need a mount (already PM'ed jakfrost) and I might have a project for the techday..

If anyone is riding to MAX NH on Saturday there, let me know.

On an 1150 RT, if the radio is being used, can you still use the factory part number(plug in) and accomplish the same by tying into the blue hot on the fork legs? Thank You

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the information and have picked up the connector at my local MI dealer for about $26 incl tax. My question is what you did with all the extra Garmin power cable, approx. 6' in length. Thank you.

I initially zip tied it also, but didn't like all that extra cable hanging from the mount. So I took a collection of butt splices, a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing in various diameters, and reworked the cable. I moved the fuse closer to the mount and put a disconnect on the end with the whole cable about 18" (45 cm) in length. It should actually be about 6" shorter but I wanted to allow for some flexibility in where it is mounted in case I changed my mind.

(Note: I have an R11RT and configured my connection point by bringing the radio power connector up to the right handlebar. So comments on cable length don't apply to R12s.)

confused.gif Anyone knows where the "Navigator Factory Harness" is located on a R1200ST ?? I have found another connector up front but not this one.....

Thanks smile.gif

Does anyone know if the R1100RT has this "extra" lead for the BMW GPS? I would look, but my bike is in the shop getting two new tires and wheels. I hit a #$%^ing pot hole on I-76 outside of Denver on a road trip, $2,300, didn't go down, but bend both wheels.

And I thought the only 'killer' potholes were here in Canada...more precisely in Quebec where they have the 'mere of all potholes' tongue.gifbncry.gifgrin.gif

Jim

Very ignorant question.... how do I find this factory harness? How much of the bike has to come apart to access it?

F9BMW:

The R1100RT does not have an "extra lead" for the navigator. You should have a radio wire bundle just forward of the radio box on the LHS. This bundle will have 5 (or 6) wires in it. The ground wire is brown and a powered wire (on unless steering is locked) is purple.

These leads have ~1/4" spade connectors. You can wire to these connectors to power a GPS. I wired a Zumo 550 to this harness, routed the wires following existing paths for wires/cables to the RHS handlebar. I hanked the remaining wire at the bundle.

This was an easy installation after I took the LHS plastic off.

There is another thread where I learned this Wiring Zumo to '03 RT:(http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/846820/an/0/page/0#Post846820)

Regards,

No need to take anything apart. Just knell down by the front tire and look up under the fairing. You will see it up between the forks by the horn.

Very ignorant question.... how do I find this factory harness? How much of the bike has to come apart to access it?

• 1 month later...

I'm about to order a Zumo 550.

Does anyone have the time and inclination to make a list of everything I'd have to buy, other than what comes in the Zumo kit, to:

1. install on my '06 R1200RT,

2. be able to see over the larger Touratech tank bag,

3. get XM satellite up and running,

4. Bluetooth the whole setup to my Shoei Mutitech helmet?

If anyone is willing to make such a list I would really be in your debt. Thanks.

I'm about to order a Zumo 550.

Does anyone have the time and inclination to make a list of everything I'd have to buy, other than what comes in the Zumo kit, to:

1. install on my '06 R1200RT,

2. be able to see over the larger Touratech tank bag,

I have a 450 on my 07RT. The kit comes with a dual threaded u-bolt for attachment to the handlebars. I mounted mine near the left hand grip. It is not as elegant as other systems, but it is visible with the BMW tank bag, does not block the instrument panel, and the mount does not interfere with the bag even when turned full lock during parking. I expect the same might hold true for the TT bag.

The BMW tank bag is a beast, so if you can see over it w/o a problem than the same is probably true for the TT.

Was the wiring straight-forward? Everything included in the kit?

Doesn't sound like you got involved w/XM and Bluetooth.

Thanks for your reply.

I am not trying to hijack the thread, but I was thinking of buying a Zumo and was wondering what the largest SD that will work with it is (hopefully 4gb). I would like to use it both as a GPS and a replacement for my iPod.

Archived