IGNORED

Which GPS? Zumo or 2720/30

cali_beemer

cali_beemer

Okay, I am now in a debate as I am truely about to pull the trigger on a new GPS unit. I had my mind made up to buy a Zumo 550 but I am seeing so many people on here buying the 2720 and 30 models. It is making me think I might be overdoing it with the Zumo. I really like the idea of the Sirf technology but is the 2720 and 30 models good enough? I am about to go on a long weekend trip and am preparing. I have never had a GPS but though that this would be the right time to try. My list of features I must have are: MP3 player, XM capable(not sure I will ever use it), text to speach, a huge list of POI, entire map of NA built in, waterproof, easy to use diplay. I dont need bluetooth since I plan on using wires. I am really torn. I have never liked the price of the ZUmo but I want to do it right the first time. I also plan on using this uniot in the car. The zumo has some appealing features to me. Battery run time for off the bike, nice cradle, SD card slot, SIrf technology, left side buttons, nicer package, etc.... Is the Zumo really going to be that much better for me? Let me hear from some people that have been using GPS for a while.

2wheelterry

I've not been using a GPS for a while. But I recently resolved the same dilemma you are having. I wasn't really sure how much I would use or enjoy having a GPS. I choose the 2730 as my first GPS unit ($500) and have no regrets. I couldn't get past the price of the Zumo + the GXM-30 + mounting brackets.

I'd guess you wouldn't have regets either way.

cali_beemer

my biggest concers are with the 2730 losing signal in areas line san fran and heavy tree cover. I have been reading reviews and I am leaning back toward the zumo becasue of this. It seems as if this is a big issue at times. Otherwise the 2730 does everything I need it to do.

ShovelStrokeEd

XM radio will lose signal in heavy tree cover no matter what the receiver unit. It has to do with the antenna and the strength of the signal. You can lay a glove over the antenna and it will do the same.

I have been using GPS and old technology at that for some 8 years now. Used a GPS V for most of the time. I made what I though was an upgrade to a a Magellen Roadmate 2000 earlier this year but it turned out to be a mistake for me.

This time, I decided to see if I could reduce my farkle count without loss of functionality so, when Marty offered me a deal on a 2730 sans antenna, I took him up on it. I'm working out the bracketry/mounts now and should be done by the time my antenna arrives. Down to the V1 and the 2730. Gone are my SkiFi and the iPod that lived in my tank bag. I almost always have my laptop with me on trips so I can load a different mix of MP3s each night for those rare times that XM fails due to terrain. I also like the much smaller bundle of wires leading from my tank bag to the farkle deck.

cali_beemer

so, is loss of the GPS signal a big issue? I wasnt concerned about the xm signal. I am really on the fence post here. The big thing the 2730 lacks is the new sirf technology.

so, is loss of the GPS signal a big issue? I wasnt concerned about the xm signal. I am really on the fence post here. The big thing the 2730 lacks is the new sirf technology.

I was just on the phone with Garmin asking some questions about the 2720 (same as 2730 without bluetooth or xm) because I found one at a really good price.

I currently own a GPSMap 60C and am upgrading to get the spoken directions and a unit that holds the whole continent of maps. Anyway, what I found out was that the 2720 has the same chip as my 60C, and I have had zero problems holding a signal with my 60C, so I think the 27xx will be ok. I am based in New England, so am no stranger to riding with heavy tree cover. Yes, the SiRF chip is faster and more sensitive, but in two years of use with the 60C and its older chip, I have never had a problem, so am not too worried about it.

At some point down the road, when units with the SiRF chip are being blown out at a deep discount, I may try one.

my biggest concers are with the 2730 losing signal in areas line san fran and heavy tree cover.

My 2730 gets GPS reception in the basement of my house, while sitting on a desk six feet from a deep window well with a very limited view of the sky. If it works there, it ought to work on the bike just about anywhere.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

...since I have not had experience with the others. With that disclaimer, I reaaly do like the Zumo550. It has a very user friendly touch screen interface which works surprisingly well with gloved hands. I was initially concenred that this would be a problem, but it works extremely well. The screen is bright and easily readable in mid day sun. The bluetooth interface to my blackberry is superb and will even display and basically operate with all of the functionality of my BB. Another convenient featue is the caller ID. You can even call up a POI and have it dial for you. The MP3 player is nice, however, on the down side most of my latest music collection is from iTunes, the Zumo will only play MP3s whereas songs downloaded form Apple iTunes are MP4s, so I am stuck with music I hacve ripped from CDs or purchased from other sites. This is actually a biggie for me which causes me to carry my iPod as well. Aside from that, the build quality is excellent, the ergos are good, and I am extremely hapy with the unit. If I were to suggest a couple of improvements, I would want a longer battery life and the ability to acces the system audio while not in a mount via headphones.

I was trying to decide between the Zumo, the 2730 and the 2820. I knew I wanted XM and MP3 so that eliminated the 2720 for me. I wasn't sure how important Bluetooth was for me, and the 2730 includes the XM antenna, so I was originally leaning towards the 2730 between the two Streetpilot models. I already had a cradle and power cord installed for a Streetpilot, so in that sense the Streetpilot seemed the better way to go.

I ended up with the Zumo and I think it was the right choice for me. It is my first GPS so I don't have experience with other models. For example, I cannot tell you whether the WAAS/Slrf technology is markedly better. My Zumo does not take long to orient itself, though.

I didn't think I would care much about the internal battery or the removable SD card, but now that I have the unit I have really appreciated these features. That alone would make me buy the Zumo again over the other units.

I have read some posts (here and elsewhere) about 2730 screens going wonky. In some cases Garmin has replaced the units with the 2820. No first hand experience.

I was at my local BMW dealer's open house about a week ago and several folks were looking at my Zumo. The bike was parked in the sunlight and the group (some of whom were experienced GPS users) agreed that the screen had good daylight visibility.

Now that I have the unit mounted, I like the size and shape better than the Streetpilot "brick". I also use the left side buttons more than I thought I would. There is a a button that I use the toggle between the audio settings and the main map screen. I think it would take me twice as many touch screen "pokes" to navigate between those displays. It would be nice if it would display the map and some limited audio information but...

Garmin has released two software updates since I received my Zumo. Some of the complaints that people had about the Zumo have been addressed in the updates. I think this is a good sign. The inability to turn off the automatic recalculation is (I think) the most common complaint with the Zumo. I'm not an advanced enough user to have that complaint.

There is a Zumo user's forum that provides gobs of information. Sort of like buying an RT and finding this site.

That's my two cents.

Don_Eilenberger
My 2730 gets GPS reception in the basement of my house, while sitting on a desk six feet from a deep window well with a very limited view of the sky. If it works there, it ought to work on the bike just about anywhere.
My 2720 REALLY surprised me - it gets reception right through the Lincoln Tunnel going into NYC. How it does that is beyond me.. but it displayed very nicely all the way though, including stopping when we were stopped due to traffic right at the state border.

Go figure - I think it may be WAIS that's doing it, but not sure.. whatever - I was impressed.

Like others here my first GPS was the Zumo 550 and I've been very pleased with it. Good signal reception throughout the canyons of Manhattan. If you live in an impacted urban or suburban area the XM traffic feature is invaluable, I would highly recommend it. Touch screen works well in gloves but not well with rain covers on (I've proved the unit is, indeed, fully waterproof). Selection of voices and languages has been great fun. Downsides are that the Bluetooth connection and sync with my Palm 700 is very unreliable, the requirement for MP3 files is a hassle if you want your own music and, most importantly, that some private roads in New Jersey and Connecticut are missing from the map software (although this would be true for all of the Garmin units you are considering). Having only tried other units while standing in stores (wearing motorcycle gloves..."No, I'm not crazy...") I can't really compare, but I've found the Zumo 550 to meet about 90% of my needs for a GPS.

cali_beemer

Well, I made the descision. I ordered a Zumo 550 and its little XM antenna friend. I have helmet speaker scoming as well. I hope is works well, otherwise you will see it in the classified section soon. I decided that while the price was big between the 2730 and the zumo, the following were deal clinchers:

expandable Sd card slot, sleaker profile and can fit in my jacket pocket, battery back up, sirf technology, glove friendly touch screen (a better screen display in general as I have played with both in a store), and most importanly a better package including both car and bike mounts with all needed hardware. Ther is no looking for a cable for the bike and trying to mount. All in all, I am happy with the descision.

Archived