IGNORED

After-market Quick Release Helmet Buckle

Mike05

Any opinions on the Echo Quick Release Buckle or something similar?

Changed from a Caberg flip up visor to a Shoei Multitec. The Shoei seems quieter, lighter and better in the wind, but I do miss the quick release helmet strap buckle.

I got to wondering if these things really are as safe as the o-ring type and why they aren't found on more helmets as OEM (answered my own question?)

I've been using on of these in my RF-900 Shoei for about a year. Works as advertised.

I trimmed the left over strap and heat sealed the nylon with a small butane torch. Cutting the OEM D-Rings is a pain, I used a Dremel tool and a cut off wheel.

Once you remove the D-Rings, there's no going back, so test everthing a bit before you make permanent mods to your favorite lid.

I have also been using the Echo clasp for years with great success.

My suggestion on the D ring is to leave 1 attached for a time so if you want to use a helmet lock like lid-lock you will be able to. To cut off the D ring I used lineman pliers or bolt cutters. clap.gif

szurszewski

My wife and I have used these for years primarily on our snowmachine (snow mobile, I guess, to you southerners) helmets for the past five years or so. They make it much easier to strap the helmet on/off with even very heavy gloves (or mitts), and we've never had a problem. I think Laura even had one on her most recent mc helmet (Symax).

We picked this particular brand because the latch mechanism, though shrouded in plastic, is actually based on a metal to metal connection.

For the D-rings, I don't think we've ever removed them - so I agree that you should leave them on at least until you decide you like the latch...because by then you might not care (or you can always wrap them with a piece of cloth-type tape - mabye the waterproof first-aid sort of stuff).

Any opinions on the Echo Quick Release Buckle or something similar?
I tried this exact item and had a devil of a time latching it. Maybe it's me, but I just couldn't get the buckle lined up to latch without a lot of fiddling around. Meantime, all my riding buddies were long down the road LOL. Thankfully I didn't remove the D rings so was able to go back to the old standby. YMMV
Lone_RT_rider

I used these on my Shoei TZ-1 for 5 years before I purchased my current Shoei X-11. When I putchased the X-11, I made sure I bought another set of quick release buckles for the new lid. After six years of using them, I cannot imagine having a helmet without them. thumbsup.gif

Shawn

Archived