IGNORED

Do It Yourself Hall Sensor Replacement

superlight93

superlight93

I just ordered a Hall sensor for my 1100RT and plan on doing it myself. Can anyone with experience offer some valuable advice? I also read I will need to adjust the static timing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

There are several posts on this. It is a pretty easy job. You'll need to remove the gas tank and alternator belt and bottom pulley. The HES is behind the pullye. 3 Hex screws to remove the HES. HES wire feeds up under the alternator and connects to the Motronic under the gas tank. Look for a large clear soft plastic cover over the connector. Be sure to mark how the old HES was positioned on the engine. In other words, mark two lines where the lower outside edges of the HES line up with engine housing behind the pulley. If you align the new HES with the two lines you'll likely be fine on the timing and not have to worry about doing the static timing thing.

After I put mine in I took it to the Dealer and put it on his bmw computer. It was off quite a bit from the marks I made from the old one. I'm glad I check it. You can make a tool to do the check. Maybe someone here can give you directions?

superlight93

Thank You So Much! I will post my results when its done. I ordered the Hall sensor from Beemerboneyard

superlight93

I started my 01 RT and it died liked someone hit the kill switch. Now there is no spark when I crank it over. I talked to two different techs and they both said is sounded like the Hall sensor. I was told to test the sensor with an ohm meter where it plugs into the coil. If working properly it will send pulses that the ohm meter will read. Mine was dead but did pulse once when checking it another time. I plugged it back into the coil and the bike started. I then shut the bike off and it would not restart again. Checked the hall sensor and it was dead again.

superlight93

I will have to take a look at the wiring on the used sensor that I ordered. I have read that only the earlier sensors had generic wiring. My RT is a 2001 so I have my wiring to compare to the used one I am waiting for. I hope the used one already has the upgraded wiring. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I've rebuilt quite a few of these and have never seen upgraded wiring. Even the brand new ones from Bosch seem to have the same junk wires between the connector and the hall devices.

The jury is still out on the R1100S and R1150 hall sensor wiring. I've never seen a failed one.

Mick

superlight93

Good News! It's running! The Hall sensor was the culprit.I also made one of those timing devices to adjust the static timing. Now I need to put all the Tupperware back on.

Good job!! thumbsup.gif Just keep in mind that it WILL fail again when the wires deteriorate. frown.gif Cut your old one apart (right under the upper strain relief) and see what the insulation looks like.

Mick

Archived