IGNORED

Bay Area Pick Up ride check in... and Ride tale

BeniciaRT_GT

BeniciaRT_GT

Please check in here if you went for the ride in Woodside this morning.

I plan on putting together a ride tale here later...

Obviously, I'm home, and had an incredible day!

Thanks so much all of you for coming out and helping me enjoy a great day off.

This whole "Get a Life" thing is really fun!!! thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Thanks for organizing a great ride (and breakfast) Richard. Got home about 2:00. The anti-rain gods were with us.

I am back. Thanks Richard for creating the ride map that nobody used grin.gif

So, what happened to Roburt and the other +20 riders after breakfast?

Richard,

Thanks for the route, the food, and the company.

Arrived home about 5:00 PM after picking up groceries for Easter dinner.

BTW - for those that I told that I lost the twenty bucks on the road at 5:30 AM in Folsom...guess what?...it was still there, clap.gif in the road, folded in half, plastered against the curb, about 20 feet from where I met Tom.

Must have been about a thousand people passed this spot from Sam's, Best Buy, etc for eleven hours, and nobody saw it!! Amazing

Thanks again to everybody!!

Bob

BeniciaRT_GT

Unfortunately, I will have to rely on the possibility that others took some pictures during the ride, because as I was snapping away on the ride, my camera was ignoring my wishes and didn’t take any pictures after breakfast!!! Therefore, this ride tale will be woefully short of pictures of the beautiful country we went though.

The weather was “iffy” at best, but many brave souls (EXCEPT JoeG) showed up for the first annual “Get a Life” ride in the hills south of San Francisco. Everyone was there by 08:00 ( yes, even me) and we stood around the parking lot in Woodside swapping lies about our riding prowess for a few minutes while enjoying the sunny morning.

Woodside_Hoons4.jpg

Woodside_Hoons.jpg

Woodside_Hoons3.jpg

Here you can see Roburt (SideToSide) and Ian (Ian408) plotting to do something shady.

Woodside_Hoons2.jpg

Woodside_Hoons5.jpg

And here, Joe (Coarsegoldkid) is describing his terrible dilemma of not knowing which way he is going after the ride. He doesn’t have to be home soon, so he plans to just go exploring. Poor guy!!!

Woodside_Joe.jpg

Here Kevin and Tom discuss styles of hooning.

Woodside_Kevin_Tom.jpg

As we all started wandering in to sit down, a Deputy Sheriff wandered over and admired the bikes.

Of course, he asked, innocently, “So, where are Y’all riding today?”

Not near young or dumb enough to fall for that one, we told him we hadn’t decided yet.

Nice try Deputy!

Wonderful Breakfast was had by all, and no one left hungry or in want of coffee.

WoodsideBMWSTBreakfast.jpg

WoodsideBMWSTBreakfast2.jpg

I had the Huevos rancheros:

HuevosRancheros.jpg

Now I had planned a tentative route (All thanks go to Kevin however) subject to change as the group went over it and decided where they wanted to go. I had a bunch of printed versions and handed them out to talk about during breakfast. I have only used MS Streets and Trips once before, so I couldn’t figure out how to zoom in on some of the “off the beaten path” parts of the route. On the map it looked like we were taking Highway 1 down the coast. There were several roads that just run inland of 1, that turned out to be beautiful and more importantly, traffic free. This was in the details of the printout, but I didn’t make a point of telling everyone. That led to us getting split up into two groups.

It all worked out great though, and I’m pretty sure everyone had a great time. Incident free which is always a good thing. Well, there was one standard RT “stop and drop”. I’ll let him tell that story. Considering some of the weather/road conditions we rode through, that says a lot about the riding skills of this great little group!

The whole ride was all done on one tank for everyone, even on Tom’s short legged R1.

I wish I had more pictures, but I guess I’ll just have to go ride it again some day soon to make up for it!

I am back. Thanks Richard for creating the ride map that nobody used grin.gif

So, what happened to Roburt and the other +20 riders after breakfast?

Well....you see, some of us are born leaders and others are born followers. The problem is when you get too many followers in a group, then that group tends to go astray. Just a mile or so after leaving Bucks, a few of us stopped to "assist" (more like watch) while our fallen comrad practiced the aformentioned "stop and drop" technique with his RT. After a few minutes we ambled up the road and fully expected to catch the group. After about 20+ miles of HWY 1, and having the Moss Landing power station in sight, someone decided we should make a left somewhere, soooo.... we just turned left on Bonny Doon Rd since that name appears on the directions somewhere, just not necessarilly in the place where we decided to turn. eek.gif After that we just alternated left and right turns at any road that was mentioned on the directions and somehow got lost "amazing". Someone then had the great idea of letting me lead the pack. After directions (and a disturbing grin) from a local, we forged ahead only to make a giant circle around Ice Cream grade and pulled up right at the spot where we asked for directions dopeslap.gif. This time we turned left up Empire Grade and found ourselves back on the route again. The way I figure it, we cut about 1 hour off the planned route. We were drying out up at Roburt's place when Richard called wondering where the %$#& we were. It was a wonderful ride and a fantastic way to spend the day. clap.gif Thank's to Richard for providing the motivation and apologies all around if our unintentional delay caused any stress. thumbsup.gif

Happy Easter!

Nathan

As we all started wandering in to sit down, a Deputy Sheriff wandered over and admired the bikes.

Of course, he asked, innocently, “So, where are Y’all riding today?”

Not near young or dumb enough to fall for that one, we told him we hadn’t decided yet.

Nice try Deputy!

If I didn't know you better, I'd be offended! lmao.gif Looks like a great time was had...I'm still in shock you were on time. Happy Easter to you. wave.gif

Just had time to check the board and saw this posting. Thanks so much for being the catalyst for this ride, Richard. It was nice to see some old BMW friends and meet new ones. I had a blast. The only thing that could have been better was dry weather on Rte 9 climbing from Boulder up to Skyline. We missed out on some great curves that can be taken quite fast. Next time!

K^2

Thank you, Richard, for organizing a great ride. thumbsup.gif It was a treat to meet everyone and then get out for a ride. So what if it rained a bit? It was still fun.

Trey

CoarsegoldKid

Hello folks. It's Monday at 4pm and just got back from my ride out there. I took as many backroads as I could.

I had a good time and hope to see ya all again.

joe

BeniciaRT_GT

One housekeeping item!

For those of you who came to breakfast:

We settled the bill and gave our great waitress and staff a generous tip, however, we had $30 dollars left over. That says much of the honesty and integrity of the folks, but it presents me with an issue.

Roburt and I talked about it quckly and decided we would put it in the kitty at our break/lunch stop before we settled the bill. since we got split up we didn't stop for lunch together, I now have $30 dollars of everyone elses money. I forgot aobut it until I emptied my pockets yesterday.

I'd like to know what Y'all want to do with it. I'm inclined to donate it to the board as a small group donation. What would Y'all like to do? (And NO, I'm not inclined to send everyone a check for $1.75 grin.gif)

Archived