IGNORED

Alternator Belt Replacement R1100RT

Ghostdad

Does someone know where to find a walkthrough on the alternator belt replacement. I've tried the search function with no results..

I thought I'd take advantage of this cold and snowy weekend and do the annual service on my bike. I want to check and probably replace the belt. This way I know when it was done for proper future service intervals.

Thanks in advance for any and all help..

Dave

Thanks for the info. This is one item I will keep an eye on, cause I don't want to have to change a belt on the side of the road... But I will keep a spare on the bike just in case, and the proper allen wrench in the tool kit.

Is there an easier way of removing the alternator cover without removing the shark fin?

Just curious for future reference...

Thanks again for your help.. thumbsup.gif

Dave clap.gif

The fin comes off so easy that after you have done it once it will be a after thought.

You did download the PDF correct? Keep that around as all the most common items are there for quick reference.

Is there an easier way of removing the alternator cover without removing the shark fin?
Well, not the first time, but I just re-tensioned mine after changing at Phil's and cutting my cover in half. This time it took me all of 10 minutes from start to finish and I never touched a tupperware screw. I would really recommend one of those 13mm ratcheting box end wrenches--especially if you have an Ohlins front shock as the clearance to that top bolt is a PITA.

Yes I did download the "PDF" and thanks again...

I thought I remembered someone saying they cut the cover in half. If it makes it so you can do it with out removing the tupperware, I think I'll pull the cover again and cut for future access.. Any specific spot to cut it to make the job easier?

Thanks Dave thumbsup.gif

Any specific spot to cut it to make the job easier?

I cut it across the middle right directly behind the telelever so that it doesn't pick up too much more sand/grit than the side vents already allow. This leaves two screws for the top half and two for the bottom. thumbsup.gif

Any specific spot to cut it to make the job easier?

I cut it across the middle right directly behind the telelever so that it doesn't pick up too much more sand/grit than the side vents already allow. This leaves two screws for the top half and two for the bottom. thumbsup.gif

Thanks Jamie.. That was one thing I was concerned about when I first read of cutting it in half, was dirt and debri getting in there. But after pulling the cover and seeing all the junk in there to begin with I don't think cutting it is going to make much difference anyway...LOL

Thanks everyone for the great info. This place is great. clap.gif

Since my wife has to work today, I have all day to finish the bike.

1) pull cover and cut it.

2) do the TBS

3) flush brake fluid

Thanks again for the help.

Happy Easter!!

Dave thumbsup.gif

Archived