IGNORED

The Desert in Bloom

azkaisr

Had yesterday off and just picked up a new camera

141664712-L.jpg

The new Pentax K10D is really a nice camera.

141667313-L.jpg

Having really wanted a SLR for a while, getting one allowed me to remount the Nikon 5600 back on the bike for Video shoots and on board stills. The new tripod works good, but needs to sit tighter to eliminate the shake that appears at speed.

141682857-L.jpg

Took some pictures in the back yard. My Grapes are coming in great and I should have a banner crop this June.

141682878-L.jpg

My roses are blooming too

141666870-L.jpg

The fish in the tank have totally become pets. The almost beg for food whenever I come outside.

141667260-L.jpg

Especially the big one!

141667044-L.jpg

Wanting to test it out some more, I decided to take the RT to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum near Superior. We ride by the place at least twice a month on our rides, but never stop.

Well today I paid the man my $7.50 and wandered on in. What a great place to visit!

141686036-L.jpg

The buildings are all made of local stone

141685264-L.jpg

The desert is far from just a few Saguaros and a bunch of Sand Dunes

141685482-L.jpg

141666332-L.jpg

I love the macro feature of this camera

141667804-L.jpg

A forest of Barrel Cacti

141667778-L.jpg

The trail drops down into the Riparian area around Queen Creek. No Richard, I did not just make that word up.

141667584-L.jpg

They have a really cool suspension bridge

141667605-L.jpg

It was such a nice day. High in the upper 80's

141667800-L.jpg Everything is lush and green

141674607-L.jpg

Some really cool colors

141677263-L.jpg

These flowers dwarfed the parent plant

141677596-L.jpg

Ok Junior Botanists...what plant is this?

141677567-L.jpg

Man these were worthy and they had this really distinct aroma.

141667660-L.jpg

I could get this sick if somebody doesn't stop me.....soon

141667310-L.jpg

So I leave the park and decide to head back to Phoenix to get home in time to do some work around the house. I get about 4 miles out of Superior and everything comes to a halt. Sat there for about an hour. Two MedEvac Helicopters later they let us through. All I saw was a Harley on the back of a flatbed tow truck and a mangled Honda on another one. The Harley didn't look all that beat up.

141679337-L.jpg

Traffic the other way was backed up for about 10 miles. This picture is from the shelf mounted Nikon.

141679579-L.jpg

Stopped to look at a house in Apache Junction that a friend is interested in. The street ain't much

141677099-L.jpg

But the view up hill sure is nice

141672818-L.jpg

Mr Perez welcomed me back to the house himself. Of course he was more concerned with the bike then with me. Oh well.

Great day out there as usual. Might have to go somewhere new tomorrow!

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Really great shots Tom. I guess I'll have to take a run up there and look around. It seems to be hidden treasure.

john

Paul_Burkett

Cool pics, it makes me want to get my SLR out, but I don't like film. Perhaps it is time to get a digital SLR, I like the point and shoot aspect but being able to focus in and make the picture is so much more rewarding. Keep sending us pictures.

Hey Tom,

Great shots. That is a really interesting place and looks like it is well worth the entry fee. Keep sending the pics.

Couchrocket

Tom,

The exposure accuracy and dynamic range of that new K10D is really GOOD! I'm impressed. Terrific photos! Thanks for sharing. thumbsup.gif

Tom,

The exposure accuracy and dynamic range of that new K10D is really GOOD! I'm impressed. Terrific photos! Thanks for sharing. thumbsup.gif

Thanks Scott, I appreciate the feedback a lot.

This camera is great. I played with Whip's Nikon in Texas and knew I needed an SLR (I have to keep up with him you know). My first camera was a K1000 from Pentax which I bought back in 1980. I still have it and a few of the lenses. As I was looking for what SLR to buy, I saw that the K10D was getting really good reviews and had the ability to take those older lenses. Not cheap, but if it is like my other Pentax, the cost of ownership over 27 years will be bearable grin.gif141666352-L.jpg

141759430-L.jpg

141667774-L.jpg141672579-L.jpg

Tom:

Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing your ride. I am very envious of you guys in Arizona. It truly is motorcycle heaven. thumbsup.gif

Lets_Play_Two
Thanks Scott, I appreciate the feedback a lot.

This camera is great. I played with Whip's Nikon in Texas and knew I needed an SLR (I have to keep up with him you know). My first camera was a K1000 from Pentax which I bought back in 1980. I still have it and a few of the lenses. As I was looking for what SLR to buy, I saw that the K10D was getting really good reviews and had the ability to take those older lenses. Not cheap, but if it is like my other Pentax, the cost of ownership over 27 years will be bearable grin.gif

It's not the camera body that will get you....it's those lenses and the carbon fiber tripod grin.gif

Les is more
141677596-L.jpg

Ok Junior Botanists...what plant is this?

This, my talented friend, is a Boojum. The name was given by the botanist Godfrey Sykes, who found it in Baja California in 1922 and said "It must be a Boojum!". He named it after the mythical creature called a Boojum from "The Hunting of the Snark authored by Lewis Carroll. The Spanish common name for the plant is Cirio, because of its candle-like appearance.

It's one of the few relatives of our Ocotillo.

oco1384.jpg

The family is Fouquieriaciae and all 13 members of that family belong to the genus Fouquieria.

I'm glad you got your camera. It's going to add a lot of beauty to my life!

It's either really impressive that you know this Les, or just sick! eek.gif

Tom ... Great pics and thanks for sharin'! thumbsup.gif

141664712-L.jpg

Coolest feature of your new camera is that it can take a picture of itself lmao.gif. Very nice!

As I was looking for what SLR to buy, I saw that the K10D was getting really good reviews and had the ability to take those older lenses. Not cheap, but if it is like my other Pentax, the cost of ownership over 27 years will be bearable grin.gif

Great photos!

Being able to use the lenses he has accumulated over the years is what made Mark stick with Pentax when he went digital a few years ago-and it is why he got the K10d over the winter. It does make a big difference if you can keep using the kit you have, rather than having to get a new one.

Interesting use of the Gorilla Pod-I never thought of mounting my point & shoot like that-but I may have to try it out.

The new Pentax K10D is really a nice camera.

141667313-L.jpg

Hey Tom, I finally picked up a shelf system to mount my GPS on, now I gotta check into that contraption you got the camera mounted on. Somebody in an earlier post referred to it as a "Gorilla Pod" is that its real name?

By the way brother Tom, those pictures are awesome. I guess I gotta get out to the desert more often around this time of year, the colors are incredible!

Hey Tom, I finally picked up a shelf system to mount my GPS on, now I gotta check into that contraption you got the camera mounted on. Somebody in an earlier post referred to it as a "Gorilla Pod" is that its real name?

Yep-it really is the Gorilla Pod.

http://www.joby.com/

(It is snowing here in Denver again-which has left me with too much time on the web today).

141667660-L.jpg

So how long till you get one of these & put it on the shelf of your RT grin.gif

Some nice images there Tom thumbsup.gif

141667660-L.jpg

Too late for me...all I lack is that camo cover for the lens.... blush.gif

Crazy_Canuck

Those are great Pics Tom!

Now whos bike dash did you take a picture of because this sure cant be yours... lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

141667313-L.jpg

I have seen your bike dash and it doesnt look anyting like the this pic!!! eek.gif

Bravo! BTA is one of my favorite AZ places...should have called me! We could of had a photo contest!! Truly a remarkable set of pics. Keep them coming!!

Tom; once you get the GS an absolute "must do" is the run down from Mt. Lemmon to either Oracle or San Manuel. It is a spectacular ride up on the newly paved road to the top, then the dirt road with many switchbacks drops 8K feet down the the valley floor. spectacular views. If you want to do it, give me a call and I'll meet you at the foot of the mountain. Cheers,

john

Hi Tom Great photos! How did you actualy get them into your post? I have a few photos from a trip I just returned from in New Zealand that I'd like to share.Keep up the good work. thumbsup.gif

gorgeous. thanks!

never seen the desert in spring - now i know what i need to do before i go (yea...May Torrey isn't quite like that)

Hi Tom Great photos! How did you actualy get them into your post? I have a few photos from a trip I just returned from in New Zealand that I'd like to share.Keep up the good work. thumbsup.gif

Sent you a PM

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Archived