IGNORED

07 RT-Intermittent Heated Grips??--Canbus?

bobbybob

New 07 R1200RT--300 miles--suddenly heated grips stop working. Then a few hours later, after bike's been resting, they work again. If its a fault in a switch, would it generate a Canbus code? Anyone else have "off & on" grips? Known issue with BMW grips?

I haven't heard of any issues with the grips. Mine have always worked. It sounds like you are going to need to take it to the dealer for diagnosis.

Any chance the battery is low?

The computer will turn off some accessories if the battery is running low.

Nope--brand new, charging fine, happened while riding.

Treat it like you blew a fuse. The only difference is the bike "resets" when you turn it off/on, no different than putting a new fuse in when you stop.

Check the heated grips wiring, switch, and the like for any signs of shorts, exposed wiring, chafing...

Also, if you know what else runs off that circut take a look there too.

Treat it like you blew a fuse. The only difference is the bike "resets" when you turn it off/on, no different than putting a new fuse in when you stop.

Check the heated grips wiring, switch, and the like for any signs of shorts, exposed wiring, chafing...

Also, if you know what else runs off that circut take a look there too.

Steve, thats what I thought--that it would re-set itself. However, I did stop and try that right after it happened and it still did not work. But after sitting in the garage for a couple hours it worked again...go figure!! So maybe is a bad connection but doesn't generate a Canbus fault code.

Canbus or no canbus, you're still looking at:

- A current limiting device (like a fuse or the BMW solid state "CANBUS" stuff)

- A switch

- Some wires

- The grips

IF there is a short, and you stopped and turned the bike on/off, and the short was still there, it would have tripped the "fuse" again.

It's under warranty, so no real need to worry about it. But if you wanted to dig in a bit, I'd look at the basic stuff first.

Canbus or no canbus, you're still looking at:

- A current limiting device (like a fuse or the BMW solid state "CANBUS" stuff)

- A switch

- Some wires

- The grips

IF there is a short, and you stopped and turned the bike on/off, and the short was still there, it would have tripped the "fuse" again.

It's under warranty, so no real need to worry about it. But if you wanted to dig in a bit, I'd look at the basic stuff first.

Steve, I agree with all that you say. I am just wondering if, whatever the cause may be, will it trigger a code that identifies it within the canbus system...or does it just require some detective work to fix? Or, put another way, just HOW deeply is good ole Merle at the dealer gonna have to DIG into my brand new pristine machine to find the offending piece, and how many OTHER wires will now be loose after he gets through??

HOW deeply is good ole Merle at the dealer gonna have to DIG into my brand new pristine machine to find the offending piece, and how many OTHER wires will now be loose after he gets through??
Well now that just depends upon how good, 'good ole Merle' is, now doesn't it? If a tech is competent, everything, including the grips works perfect when you get the bike back.

But as mentioned, this problem really has nothing to do with the CAN-BUS connected controllers specifically. The ZFE module is just recording the fact that there is a problem somewhere in the heated grips, and shutting them down. In effect the same thing a fuse does.

Where the problem is requires plain old electrical tracing and troubleshooting just like always.

this problem really has nothing to do with the CAN-BUS connected controllers specifically.

I'd add "probably has nothing to do.." There is an issue somewhere. I doubt it's the ZFE, but ya never know.

Also if someone with that GS911 tool where to live nearby, it might give you some good clues.

<Also if someone with that GS911 tool where to live nearby, it might give you some good clues.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that little gizmo. I've got one for autos, kinda nice to know whats up BEFORE you turn it over to "Merle".

I haven't seen any big yellow triangular shapes flashing on my panel--does that happen whenever a fault code is generated in the ZFE?

I haven't seen any big yellow triangular shapes flashing on my panel--does that happen whenever a fault code is generated in the ZFE?
No it doesn't. I don't think faults recorded in the ZFE module light the indicator at all. For example the common horn failure one in the earlier ZFE software versions doesn't. I think only faults recorded in the BMS-K or ABS3-CAN modules light the indicator. But don't hold me to that.

Just a suggestion......

I would check the switch first... Does the switch have a less than positive feel to it?? Usually when the switch is defective, it will feel kinda "weak" when you operate it.

I have replaced a few switches on the RTs, so start there first. You will need some small torx screwdrivers to get the switch assembly off your bars. If you get it apart you really can't fix it, but at least you will know what it wrong before the dealer works on it.

Good Luck!

Ken:

As an example, burned out or intermittent light bulbs will set a fault and also light the warning indicator on the instrument cluster. You can try this easily with your bike and the computer gadget you have. Take out the headlight bulb start the bike, shut it off and then scan for codes. You should see a code even if the fault has cleared, it will say "not currently present"

Ken:

As an example, burned out or intermittent light bulbs will set a fault and also light the warning indicator on the instrument cluster. You can try this easily with your bike and the computer gadget you have. Take out the headlight bulb start the bike, shut it off and then scan for codes. You should see a code even if the fault has cleared, it will say "not currently present"

Ah yes, that's true. I forgot about the bulb monitoring being done by the ZFE.

Archived