IGNORED

Another Seat Option

BucksTherapy

BucksTherapy

I had tried the stock seat and I have tried a Corbin. I concluded I wanted something different.

There is a company in Newfoundland Canada that rebuilds the stock seat as you see in the attached pics below. I have this seat and it is unconventional in that the leather surface is not glued to foam but rides on sheepskin which lays on gel.

Newfoundland saddlery gave me the option of having sheepskin down the sides and I did but if I was to do it again I would just have them put sheep skin under the seating area. This would keep the seat narrower near the front.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the overall seat height ½” less then stock and no slope to the front. This seat is the nicest I have spend a day on in 30 years of riding. The combination of gel, sheepskin and soft leather works like nothing else I have experienced.

839742-12RTSeat.JPG.c339448126090342fcd1f2331a58a96e.JPG

That's an interesting seat construction. It certainly looks like it would be confortable. What's been your longest day (miles and time) so far?

I'm becoming more interested in upgrading seats. The stock seat is fine for normal knocking around, but it's tough for me to do more than 500 miles a day without encountering significant discomfort.

Please forgive the next string of questions. Just trying to understand as much as possible.

- How much did the makeover cost?

- How long did it take?

- Do they guarantee their work and materials?

- How can they be contacted?

Hope you get lots of comfortable miles with the new seat!

BucksTherapy

I have included answers to your questions below.

That's an interesting seat construction. It certainly looks like it would be confortable. What's been your longest day (miles and time) so far? 12 hours - 900 km

Please forgive the next string of questions. Just trying to understand as much as possible.

- How much did the makeover cost?

Answer: $400Cdn ~ $330USD for front seat.

- How long did it take?

Answer: Mine took a couple of weeks but if you schedule ahead he requires your seat for three days but prefers a week.

- Do they guarantee their work and materials?

Answer - He will correct any issues but you should tall with him to clarify.

- How can they be contacted?

Answer:

Newfoundland Saddlery and Leather

383 Duckworth Street

P.O.Box 2006; St. John's

NF. A1C 5R6

(709) 753-3661

Hope you get lots of comfortable miles with the new seat! Answer: It is like a firm pillow, I've never sat on a seat as comfortable. I know seats are a matter of personal preference but for me I will use one of his seats on any bike in the future.

• 4 months later...

839742-12RTSeat.JPG

Interesting take on the Russel design. It appears to use a wide plastic shelf to spread the load, though it is a bit unclear how it is attached to the seat pan, is that riveting? How sturdy is it, and what foam does he use?

Jim cool.gif

Archived