IGNORED

r1100s drainplug

SANTA

i pulled the drain plug to change the gearbox and there was no crush washer...

interesting note; the pictures shows the r1100s drain plug in black, and the other plug is of m 99 passat, thread is the same size and the aluminum crush washer fits the r1100s...

can anyone confirm that i need a crush washer?

839651-IMG_0257_3.jpg.20f7406306f5cc8ac3a1b7fb6613b899.jpg

its a 2003 dual spark model, the underside of the plug has circumferential ridges (2) but they are not soft, so is that the same as yours just954rr?

Eckhard Grohe

That sounds like mine... Have you looked at the parts fiche at Max BMW? Image is below..

B0002970.png

Is this the layout? Look at item 13.

On my RT the drain is on the side bexause the Cat. Con. is underneath.

Fill the oil at 11 & 12.

ShovelStrokeEd

Belt and suspenders if you installed that copper one. That particular drain plug doesn't require a crush washer. I was surprised when I pulled mine and there wasn't one on there. I crawled all over the garage floor looking for the darn thing. blush.gif

Fun having to pull the right side exhaust to get a wrench on it as well.

looks like all of us with r1100s didn't have crush washer, so it went back on without one,

i found the max fiche too and then realized no washer

Ed i made a drain plug tool from a 3/8" coupling nut, cut it off to fit and filed it down from 9/16" across the flats so it would slide nicely into the plug... didn't pull the right exhaust.

ericfoerster

Ed i made a drain plug tool from a 3/8" coupling nut, cut it off to fit and filed it down from 9/16" across the flats so it would slide nicely into the plug... didn't pull the right exhaust.

Can you get me a picture of this new tool thumbsup.gif Sounds like I need one for my S

its a 2003 dual spark model, the underside of the plug has circumferential ridges (2) but they are not soft, so is that the same as yours just954rr?

..i did my gearbox last week......while wiping off the plug i noticed the seal...just 1 (one) "soft"..very thin o-ring, jused some synthetic grease for o-rings and torqued to specs....Good-to-go..

ShovelStrokeEd

4 bolts and the exhaust is off. It really is no big deal on an S. I never even replaced the gaskets. Use anti-sieze on the head studs.

Can you get me a picture of this new tool thumbsup.gif Sounds like I need one for my S

see attached picture. on the right is normal 3/8" nut, beside it is the cplg nut piece that fits into the tranny drain plug, a 3/8" cplg nut is 1.75" long, but i cut it down to 1"

839955-cplgnut_2.jpg.85ac831f5bbd05f79ec704c6a5f5df99.jpg

ShovelStrokeEd

You could also use a cut down hex wrench and a racheting box wrench. My little 1/4" drive air rachet has those 4 bolts out for the exhaust in about 2 minutes. It would be faster but I can't drag my old butt from the middle to the front of the motorcycle while laying on my side any quicker.

Ed; i live in saskatchewan, i'm trying my darndest to drag this province into the 20th century...grin.gif air wrenchs.... please explain, once your cross the border into Sask a dark curtain decends and technology goes into a timewarp... i understand some time soon we will get telephone without windup cranks, and they say they won't have wires on them either... lmao.gif

i never examined the pipes, its finally getting warm up here (garage is unheated) and i just want to go riding . the temp dropped back into the -10c range so we are hoping for something warm enough so ican bleed the brakes and finally ride by next weekend..

have a blessed easter

c.l.

Archived