IGNORED

Garmin 2720 - should I buy?

Emoto

Hi guys & gals,

I currently use a Garmin GPSMap60C and like it a lot, but on long trips, I have to be careful or I run out of maps. This has me thinking about getting a GPS that holds the whole country at one time.

If I find a 2720 brand new for $350-400.00, is it worth getting? I don't care about MP3 players, cell phones, XM radio or weather reports, and I don't care about using it off the bike.

There are other models that also hold all of North America, but they all seem more expensive.

What say you?

AdventurePoser

I say it is a great idea, because I am probably gonna do the exact same thing....

Steve in So Cal

Slyder_Steve

Emoto,

I was thinking the same thing. Checked out the 2720, then checked out the 2730 with XM. For 80 more bucks, I figured the 2730 was worth it. Even if the XM antenna sits on the shelf, I have that capability whenever I want it.

my 2 cents... wave.gif

The other Steve in SoCal

AdventurePoser
Emoto,

I was thinking the same thing. Checked out the 2720, then checked out the 2730 with XM. For 80 more bucks, I figured the 2730 was worth it. Even if the XM antenna sits on the shelf, I have that capability whenever I want it.

my 2 cents... wave.gif

The other Steve in SoCal

If I didn't already have an XM, I'd think of this route. Only thing is, some folks have had compatibility issues between the GPS/XM and their AutoComs...

STeve

O.K. kids, if you don't want XM go here:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.asp...p=C&topnav=

If you think you want XM go here:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000BWRK2S/...;pf_rd_i=507846

Now at $479, if you choose, you could sell the XM antenna for say $150. Your cost on the 2730 drops to an unheard of $329. If you dont want to bother then just buy the 2720 for $349 from costco.

The getfeetwet price is OK, but the same price at Amazon INCLUDES the XM receiver!!

They are pretty much the same unit. I bought the 2730 because I wanted XM.

GoGo Gadget

The 2720 is a good unit. I went with the 2730 because I wanted the music, I since subscribed to the "traffic" feature which comes in handy. It is nice to have the traffic alerts pop up and reroute around the back ups before I get into the middle of them. Living on the East Coast, that is handy. If you live in the boonies, it would never be used.

Download a POI loader, and then go here to get a POI list of the BMW dealers. http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56474 Then can pull up your "Custom POI" list and it will automatically list the dealers in order of distance from you.

If I find a 2720 brand new for $350-400.00, is it worth getting? I don't care about MP3 players, cell phones, XM radio or weather reports, and I don't care about using it off the bike.

What say you?

- I bought a 2720 when they first came out for strictly on-the-bike use. I also don't give a stuff about radio or weather so I skipped the 2730.

- I paid ah, considerably more than todays price point, but am still happy with my choice. It does everything I need in a bike GPS.

- ebill <- more GPS systems than vehicles

Thanks to everyone who has responded! clap.gif

One lingering question is how do I get the audio out of the 2720? I see no mention of an "audio out" jack on it in the owners manual posted on the Garmin site. I want to be able to grab the audio (mostly for the "turn here" stuff) and pipe it in with my music, GMRS radio, and radar detector.

You will need more than the cable to mount it to the bike. The cable end plugs into a cradle, not directly into the GPS unit.

See the link I posted above. You can find the kit cheaper via a froogal search

I've just received the Costco unit (2720) and have it mounted between the shield and the gauges, but haven't got any power running to it yet (still working on that part). I did test it in the cage though. It is a real nice unit I think. I like the 3D mode (default viewing). I have the electrical stuff mentioned above (from CycleGadets.com (awesome people to work with by the way!!) and there is an additional plug for a remote antenna. No idea what might be the audio connections but I don't plan on doing any GPS listening yet.

I can't tell you whether this is what you want but coming from an SPIII (which will now be relegated to permanent cage duty), this appears to be a far superior unit.

You need the motorcycle kit...

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10495%2D00

Now you have me looking into buying a new GPS

I ordered the motorcycle kit on Monday from Amazon.com for $31. Still waiting on it. The power cord connector slides into the back of the 2720/30 directly. The motorcyle "mount" is just that, only a means to mount the GPS.

Here is the motorcycle mount at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Motorcycle-...05&sr=1-179

The power cord connector slides into the back of the 2720/30 directly. The motorcyle "mount" is just that, only a means to mount the GPS.

I didn't think the power cord plugged directly into the 2730 due to the contact pins on the back of the unit.

Thanks for correcting me and sorry to post bad info.

2730.jpg

No worries E30, I believe the Zumo power cord plugs directly into the cradle, not sure though.

As soon as I receive the motorcycle mount, I will install everything on the new BMR Products shelf I purchased and post some pictures. I've mounted the shelf on my 04 RT and think I'm going to like it, just waiting on the rest of the parts.

Emoto, just be aware that the audio jack in that cord provides "mono" sound not "stereo". No big deal really as you can just plug into the audio out jack on the side of the GPS.

My Garmin Quest has the contact pins (with no power jack or audio jack) so you need the cradle. After looking at the pic, I thought it was the same.

I just listed my quest in the classifieds. I have someone interested in buying it already. Once it is sold, I'm buying the 2730.

I need a different hobby (or stop reading these posts that make me want new toys grin.gif)

Shipping estimate for these items: April 12, 2007 - April 13, 2007

Delivery estimate: April 15, 2007 - April 20, 2007 1 "Garmin StreetPilot 2730 Vehicle Navigation System"

Electronics; $479.99

Shipping estimate for these items: April 9, 2007 - April 10, 2007

Delivery estimate: April 12, 2007 - April 17, 2007 1 "Garmin Motorcycle Mount for StreetPilot 2610 and 2620 (010-10495-00)"

Electronics; $31.20

wave.gif

Emoto, just be aware that the audio jack in that cord provides "mono" sound not "stereo". No big deal really as you can just plug into the audio out jack on the side of the GPS.

Wait, the 2720 has a jack on the side? eek.gif The manual makes no mention of this.

Wait, the 2720 has a jack on the side? eek.gif The manual makes no mention of this.

Emoto, sorry for the confusion. The 2730 has an "audio out" plug on the side. I plug a cable into it and the other end I plug into the auxillary input jack on my car stereo and I hear XM and voice directions over the car system in "stereo". Works great.

Just went to the Garmin sight and compared the 2720 and 2730 side by side. The 2720 does NOT have the audio out jack. It also does not have Mp3 player, XM capability or e-book capability. Just makes the choice that much more difficult!

Shipping estimate for these items: April 12, 2007 - April 13, 2007

Delivery estimate: April 15, 2007 - April 20, 2007 1 "Garmin StreetPilot 2730 Vehicle Navigation System"

Electronics; $479.99

Shipping estimate for these items: April 9, 2007 - April 10, 2007

Delivery estimate: April 12, 2007 - April 17, 2007 1 "Garmin Motorcycle Mount for StreetPilot 2610 and 2620 (010-10495-00)"

Electronics; $31.20

wave.gif

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Emoto, sorry for the confusion. The 2730 has an "audio out" plug on the side. I plug a cable into it and the other end I plug into the auxillary input jack on my car stereo and I hear XM and voice directions over the car system in "stereo". Works great.

Just went to the Garmin sight and compared the 2720 and 2730 side by side. The 2720 does NOT have the audio out jack. It also does not have Mp3 player, XM capability or e-book capability. Just makes the choice that much more difficult!

Cool. Thanks for clarifying. At this point, XM would mean yet another monthly bill, and I would prefer fewer of them than I have now, so I'll skip it, and I have a 60GB iPod full of tunes that I already use on the bike, so don't need the MP3 capability either. I think I may be good with the 2720...

Ok, after much thought and thrashing around on several forums, I pulled the trigger on the 2720. clap.gif

Should have it by the weekend. It is supposed to snow. dopeslap.gif

i received my 2720 a few days ago and have been using it in the truck and on my bike. I have a RAM mount and the garmin power cord. It works great in the truck however im disappointed with using it on the bike. I had a quest previous to the 2720 and when your out in the sun the 2720 is almost unreadable. It gets washed out so much because of the touchscreen material, on top of that my sunglasses are polarized which makes it worse. Also, i have noticed that the mapping software is off by about 50ft or more no matter when im at, i did not have this problem with my quest. Im still contemplating sending it back. frown.gif I know there is the shade that can be mounted to it, but its so big already and I think it would be goofy and awkward to have it on there.

I know there is the shade that can be mounted to it, but its so big already and I think it would be goofy and awkward to have it on there.

Goofy and awkward maybe.....but makes a large difference out in the sun.

Though it wont help the positioning problem... confused.gif

Archived