IGNORED

Small Side Sections of Rear Fairing

gloveguy

I had one of those "I can't believe my luck" moments today when just as I headed down an on ramp for the freeway, the right black "D" shaped fairing piece that covers the rear shock preload device on my '98 RT, blew off...and after a circuitous route back to retrieve it, I found it intact! But the plastic twist fastener doesn't seem to be fastening to anything. The retainer piece on the bike seems to be there but the piece that you turn on the fairing piece itself, seems to not lock into any kind of detent position. Has anyone else had this problem and more importantly...is there a fix?

Thanks.

Dennis

That cover really shouldn't just blow off. The half turn key is just a arrow shaped male end that just pulls the piece closer. Most of the fastening should be done by the rubber grommet in your body work that the male prong on the leading edge of the "D" goes into. Do you still have that or was that broken off at some point in the past?

Congrats on getting the piece back intact!

Stan Walker

Most of the fastening should be done by the rubber grommet in your body work that the male prong on the leading edge of the "D" goes into

If his is an early R1100RT it may never have had that prong at all!

Stan

Stephen_Chase

Mine blew off the other day as well ('96 RT). Not for the first time either. I made a tether in anticipation of the next such event.

From all the advice on this site there are many ways to achieve the tether, all quite inexpensively. You can make a cable connector. You can use wire ties. You can use 10-15 lb test fishing leader.

My suggestion is you will need to drill a small hole in an inconspicuous place on the black piece to run the tether through. You can connect the other end in several places.

Stephen

Has anyone else had this problem and more importantly...is there a fix?

Thanks.

Dennis

I had to zip-tie mine in place. Dealer had a very clever way to do it without it being seen, so I just lived with it being secured thumbsup.gif

Archived