IGNORED

Running low on Oil

Armando

So I decided to check the oil level after a relatively short winter and to my surprise, I had to add just about 2 quarts to get the oil line to the middle of the site glass whith the bike on the side stand.

So my question is what are the consequences of running with less than 2 quarts of oil?

Peter_Doege

Hey Armando -

I did this once. They are tough engines and I have not had any troubles.

With any luck there is 1/2 a quart in the oil cooler and you'll soon be kicking your butt for overfilling it.

Regards,

Peter

ShovelStrokeEd

Not much, really. The system had enough oil in it to retain pressure or you would have gotten a warning light. You were not far from the edge though as generally, there is about a quart running around in the engine and the oil cooler, maybe a little more. Biggest thing you would have encountered is that the oil would have gotten hotter than usual on short rides and maybe a little warmer on long ones.

Before the days of dry sumps and deep oil pans with extended, floating pickups, we almost always ran our drag race motors down a quart or so on that same sump capacity. Helped gain a little free HP since the crank wasn't spinning near so much oil (windage, its called).

You might want to check just a bit more often and, while the side stand is fine for a quick check to see if the oil level is OK, the centerstand is still the correct method, replete with bowing to the Gods, some mild dancing and a lot of peeriing around with a flsshlight in hand.

Thanks both for the reply. I figured there could not have been much damage but somehow, it is always re-assuring to hear from others. I am usually pretty good abot checking the oil level but this time around, i did some work on the bike towards the fall and I must have done more riding than I thought thumbsup.gif I am adding a flashlight to my tankbag and will make it a habit to check it more often. I am shooting to hit the 20K mile mark by summer and then will really be curious to see if my bike stops burning oil, as others have experienced.

Thanks again

thumbsup.gif

I one time took my bike to a dealer I won't name, and they did not put any oil in the bike. I ran it for about 1 min. before I noticed. I had the bike for a couple more years, and put about 40k on it without any problems. It was an 1100RT. (I quit going to the dealer for a while, but have since given them another chance. It was just 1 mistake, though major, crap happens. But that was why I decided to do all of my maint. unless I am really in a bind for time.) My experiance say's you did not harm it in any way.

HRminneapolis

Here's something to remember about how good motor oil is today; some race engine builders need to seat the rings in a hurry, so they apply one drop of oil to the rings and then run the engine full throttle for about 30-60 seconds. Two or three drops is too much, too slippery and the rings won't seat.

If the oil in your engine didn't smell burnt, I'd stop worrying about it and watch instead for deer and left-turners.

Have you tried running the engine for 10 seconds or so, then checkign hte oil level again in a few minutes. I recently changed my oil. After adding the correct amount, the oil level was not showing on the sight glass. So I added another 1/2 quart. WHen I started the motor, it was well above the sight glass. I was worried that it was overfull. I ended up draining about a 1/2 quart back out. Right now it's still near the top of the sight glass.

It sounds like you're OK this time, but the thing about the oilheads is that there isn't a dipstick (in the engine) so once that level falls below the bottom of the sight glass, you don't have any way to know just how low it is.

If you run an engine long enough without enough oil it will eventually seize. That is a Bad Thing.

And this coming from a guy who made fun at a juggler, a space man, and someone who likes dirt on his wheels for breaking a flimsy tool tongue.gif

Remember karma?

wave.gif

"the centerstand is still the correct method, replete with bowing to the Gods, some mild dancing and a lot of peeriing around with a flsshlight in hand."

Sure.......now you tell us!! lmao.giflmao.gif

Pat

And this coming from a guy who made fun at a juggler, a space man, and someone who likes dirt on his wheels for breaking a flimsy tool tongue.gif

Remember karma?

wave.gif

I was wondering how long it would take you to find my post!! smirk.gif

Yes, I added the 2 quarts but not all at once. I wanted to avoid overfilling and I think I did. I should be good for now.

Thanks

Archived