IGNORED

Oil overfilled because of bad reading

BucksTherapy

BucksTherapy

On the 1150s I recall that you had to make sure your bike was at operating temp before shutting it off or alternatively wait an extended period of time before checking the oil level in the sight window.

I recall the reason was oil could be trapped in the oil cooler. I assumed there must be a temp controlled valve that allowed oil to flow to the cooler.

I experienced the same issue with my 06 RT. I started the bike for a couple of minutes then shut off. I let stand for 20 minutes then checked the oil level which was not in the window. I added oil to take it to the midpoint of the window and went for a drive. After parking it overnight I checked the oil level and it is over top of the window.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What you have experienced is standard results of not having the engine warm enough - you just pushed the oil up into the cooler and it stayed there. You have to get the engine hot enough for oil to be circulating through the cooler. 2 minutes of idle won't do it and extended idle will overheat your engine. Just ride it.

You could have checked your oil before you started the bike if your previous ride got the engine hot enough, since overnight it has plenty of time to drain down.

Check your air box now as your engine will be puking up oil through the breather. There should be a drain screw (at least there was on my R11S)

ProductUser

Here's what I do:

When the bike is hot, I perform the oil check as described above. If the oil level is okay, I'll check oil level again, the following day, when the bike is cold. This is my cold oil level reading. I now have two reference points when it comes to checking oil.

The cold oil level reference is an adendum to the original oil checking dance lmao.gif

ProductUser

Archived