IGNORED

RT-P oil cooler fan is automatically activiates at what temp?

chrisz

Hi,

To those with Rt-P bikes that come with the the factory installed oil cooler fan, do you know at what oil temperature does the fan come on? I'm assuming that the fan is thermostatically controlled. If the temp is not known, what does the RID indicate when the fan comes on?

Baba_ORiley
Don't know the answer, but according to mine, it's got to be VERY hot. Looking forward to what others know...

Don't know either, but I agree it must be quite hot.

i'll agree .i've been out in 100 degree temps setting and running and see maybe 5-6 bars and no fan so must be quite high.

Doppelganger

Mine came on once last summer (Florida) on the way to work.

If there are 10 bars in that RID, there were 9 bars showing.

I wonder what method/technique/parts would be required to lower the temperature that the fan turns on at? Maybe I should look into that....

I wonder what method/technique/parts would be required to lower the temperature that the fan turns on at? Maybe I should look into that....

On the R1100RT/P the fan is controlled by a thermostat. I am not sure of the location of the thermostat but if it is only used for the fan I see no reason why a lower temperature thermostat couldn't be substituted.

On the R1150RT/P the fan is controlled by the Motronic controller. I believe that the you would either have to be able to reprogram the Motronics or do away with it being controlled by that and use some other kind of thermostat in the oil line on the oil cooler.

I can purchase a few temperature switches (sensors at $5 each) that close contacts at various temps., like 80C, 90C, etc. I'm thinking that normal oil temperature should be at around 110C. I could wet mount using (conductive epoxy), the switch (sensor) to the engine. As there would be temperature difference of say 20C or so between the oil temp to the external engine case, a sensor of 90C might do the trick. This way the the fan comes on only during extreme temps, as if stuck in traffic in July and not during normal riding conditions. Unfortunately I don't have a reliable method of measuring the surface temperature to get an accurate temperature reading of the engine at, say 7 bars of the RID.

Back in 96 when I bought the fan kit for my RT, I also ordered the temperature switch. On the early authority oilheads the temperature switch replaced the drain plug in the oilpan. These were often damaged by riding over curbs and other items. On the later oilheads the temperature switch was moved to the side of the block, near the bottom. Back when I did the first fan, I had talked to a lot of officers who told me they wished the fan would activate sooner. I did not use the temperature switch, instead hooking the fan to an on/off switch. This manual set-up serves me well. As a recent example, I rode 2 miles in 2 hours, in 90+ temps last August and the bike never got to 8 bars. Since I was barely moving, with virtually no air passing through the bike, I turned the fan on at 7 and it stayed between 4-7 for the duration. It was cool watching the temp gauge go down when sitting still in traffic. I still have the unused temperature switch! I call it a temperature switch because that's what BMW calls it. Part #0 17 21 1 342 174

Don't know the answer, but according to mine, it's got to be VERY hot. Looking forward to what others know...

Don't know either, but I agree it must be quite hot.

My fan never came on either on my old '99 RT-P.

Of course if it ever did, I would never now how bars it took to come on, because my temp guage became black after 4 or 5 bars ooo.gif

If the fan operation is controlled by the Motronic on a 1150, I wonder if the temp sensor (wherever it is) does not sense correctly, or if they just selected a very high temp to turn it on?

Does anybody have a translation of RID bars versus temperature (at some known location)? This would obviously help in the selection of an external thermostat.

Having been caught in summer traffic on several occasions it sure seems like a good idea to change when the fan comes on. Manual is OK, automatic is better. What the heck, it might even be possible to do a TBS without melting plastic (again)!....... dopeslap.gif

I've mounted switches two different ways in the radio/glove box. I ran the wiring in from the top to a rocker switch. This requires opening the box door to access the switch. I've also mounted a couple switches for people routing the wire into the box and located the rocker switch outward side of the box, near the top, just forward of the gas tank. They just reach down in front of the tankbag.

Archived