IGNORED

Cutting the Speaker Wires on an Autocom Headset

Sierra Smokey

Sierra Smokey

I just got my brand spankin' new Autocom Super Pro Avi today. I have it all "rough installed" and it works just as advertised. One question. I use custom molded earplug headphones and bought the special headset extension lead (part# 1188) which allows me to use the earplugs. The sound quality is great and I really don't want to install the included speakers in the helmet. Can I just cut the wires to the speakers of the headset and only install the microphone and ambient noise mic? Is there anything special I would have to do once the wires are cut, other than heat-shrink the exposed wires?

Much Thanks smile.gif

Agreed,ear plugs quiet the long ride as well but I just un-pluged mine, cutting wasn't nessasary.

I would have preferred that too but, I didn't have that option on the Super Avi. No speaker disconnects on my headset. What model do you have?

I did forget to mention that when I made my cut it was mid-way on the wires so that I would have the option of installing disconnects at a later time. Just haven't done it yet.

I just got my brand spankin' new Autocom Super Pro Avi today. I have it all "rough installed" and it works just as advertised. One question. I use custom molded earplug headphones and bought the special headset extension lead (part# 1188) which allows me to use the earplugs. The sound quality is great and I really don't want to install the included speakers in the helmet. Can I just cut the wires to the speakers of the headset and only install the microphone and ambient noise mic? Is there anything special I would have to do once the wires are cut, other than heat-shrink the exposed wires?

Much Thanks smile.gif

Go ahead and cut the wires. Then split the wires back about 1/4". Fold back one side, THEN heat shrink. This ensures that the exposed ends of the cut wires won't ever possibly touch. Just a little safety trick I learned.

WirelessRider

great point effbee, you took the keys off my board!! separation

I do headsets with removable speakers, you replace with your choice of earbuds.

spike

Sierra Smokey

Yeah... they (autocom) raised the prices on everything effective April 1. Luckily my BMW shop still had it priced at the old price (about $40 cheaper). clap.gif

I use custom molded earplug headphones and bought the special headset extension lead

Question: What brand earplugs?

Sierra Smokey

They're called Challenger M's from customearpiece.com. They work very well and sound is great - no wind noise.

Yeah... they (autocom) raised the prices on everything effective April 1. Luckily my BMW shop still had it priced at the old price (about $40 cheaper). clap.gif

Some of us still are holding to the old prices until we finish selling the remaining kits we bought before the prices went up. But supplies are limited.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Some of us still are holding to the old prices until we finish selling the remaining kits we bought before the prices went up. But supplies are limited.

Yep. I just picked up an 1188 from the dealer yesterday. $39.

I use custom molded earplug headphones and bought the special headset extension lead

Another option... I bought the Etymotic er6i's and has custom plugs made. I can show them to you at the Tech Daze later this month.

Another option... I bought the Etymotic er6i's and has custom plugs made. I can show them to you at the Tech Daze later this month.

Do you meam that someone took your ER6is, and incorporated them into custom molded earplugs? If so, how'd they work out>

Archived