IGNORED

Installed HID Last Night

KRW

Got the package yesterday. I was a little concerned with the packageing, or lack of it. The install took me about two hours. Mostly trying to find a place to mount the ballast. Otherwise the install was very easy.

I know the pics are not very scientific but they do show the difference.

838387-HIDSmall.jpg.51c5391eea9c7dfdc43e2d27aaa564ba.jpg

Nice. It looks like you got the same light pattern as before.

Two questions:

Where did you stash the ballast on your 1150RT, and did you have radio speakers?

When I took my nosepiece off to check it out, I couldn't find anyplace where I thought a ballast would fit unless I removed my radio speakers, so I haven't bought HIDs.

I do have the bmw stereo and speakers. I removed the horn on the left side and used that bolt to mount the ballast. I will remount the horn later I am leaving early in the morning for a ride so i wanted the light in and i figure one horn will be ok for a while.

Did you notice a significant difference in actual light output? From your pictures, the light output did not seem substantially higher, thought the color changed. Pattern stayed pretty constant- good thing....

??

I'm not sure if there is more light or if the color change just makes it seem like there is. but i do think it makes a BIG difference when riding. everything in the light pattern is clearer and it seems like a can see further ahead. No real proof of this just my opinion.

I'm not sure if there is more light or if the color change just makes it seem like there is. but i do think it makes a BIG difference when riding. everything in the light pattern is clearer and it seems like a can see further ahead. No real proof of this just my opinion.

When I installed an HID on my old RT, I took it out for a ride that night. I noticed a difference, but I'd bought a high-end kit and was sorely disappointed that the improvement wasn't greater. What I'd forgotten was that I live in the 'burbs, with streetlights everywhere, and there was almost a full moon.

Two weeks later, I took off for Spring '05 Torrey. Leaving L.A. at 3PM, I got through Vegas at 7PM and by 8PM I was north of town, clear of the city lights, and there was no moon at all. HOLY COW did I ever have some light! It was hugely brighter and sharper than before. The light was whiter and more pure. Contrasts were much better and I could see with better definition at greater distances. And while the light pattern was the same, the whiter light made the cutoff edge appear sharper.

If you bought a good system, one where the light source within the lamp measures EXACTLY the same distance from the parabolic base as the halogen lamp it replaces, then you will enjoy vastly improved lighting. However, you may have to get yourself out in the middle of total darkness in order to appreciate its full effects.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody want to weigh in on how long it takes from order to receipt of these lights? I bit back on the 11th.....Got a message from them that they shipped Priority Mail back on 23rd. Usually doesnt take more than 2-3 days transit time even from the right coast....Still waiting.... frown.gif

Now that I have posted this, it'll prolly be in tomorrow's mail.... eek.gif

I got the complete German engineered bike single beam HID conversion kit with the 3000K bulb used on my low beam. I asked them @ fashtek what would give me the best lighting, and they said the lower kelvin would be best. If you look at the top of there page under the products section, you will see the different color of the bulbs. I wish I saw this before I might have went with the 5000K. The 3000K seems very yellow, not bad but I just like the look of the 3000K better.

Now on the question I asked above, I got a response from Jim @ Earternbeaver. He said I could use the relay kit as well as the HID thumbsup.gif

Archived