IGNORED

ignition power source

HandsomeDarwin

HandsomeDarwin

'97 R11RT. I'm looking for a good ignition based power source to hook up a centech fuse panel. I don't want to go off the battery for power as I've been known to leave gadgets on, and I dont want to drain the battery (again) frown.gif. Heated seats, Gerbings, Autocomm and the like are running off the fuse panel. Any suggestions?

Lineareagle

You could install a solenoid activated by a switched circuit and run from the battery through the solenid to your centech.

There is no circuit in the bike that will handle the kind of loads you are talking about directly. The wiring's just not built for it.

Rather, as Bruce mentioned, the better approach is to power your new fuse panel directly from the battery. If you want everything that will be powered from the new fuse panel to go on/off with the bike, put a relay between the battery and the fuse panel. Then trigger the relay from a switched source in the bike. The little 'parking light' in the headlamp ass'y is often used. Or piggy-back on any switched fuse in the factory fuse box.

If you only want some of the items to go off with the bike, connect the fuse panel from the battery directly, then individually relay the items you want. For example heated clothing doesn't need to be switched on/off with the bike because the "auto-off" feature works when you walk away from the bike with your heated jack still connected. wink.gif

Archived