IGNORED

michelin road tires

acacia

I own a 2004 1150rt. I use it mostly for touring with some canyon riding here in So Cal. I'm shopping for tires and I need some help. I'm on my first set of tires and I'm not sure what to buy as replacements. I would like to get some feedback (good, bad, ugly) on the Michelin Road tires for which I'm very close to purchasing. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'm a dedicated Pilot Road user for my R1100RT. I really like the way that the front and rear wear at the same rate. Not my experience with MEZ-4's 6's or 880's, I will go through about 1 1/2 rear tires to every front. The Pilot Roads tend to be noisy but they stick well and have never let me down. Every time I mount a set of MEZ 6's on the bike I will pick up an early nail or screw. Not a design issue of the tire, just my particular luck.

Yeeha! Stephen

I like the Mich Pilot Roads. They aren't as quick to turn in as say the Avons, which I like.

I don't get much wear out of them, but I think it's the rough roads we ride on here. We don't have very much smooth asphalt, it's mostly rough chip sealed roadways. Could possibly squeeze 7k out of them but why wait... I change them every service, I change them while I'm changing everything else. tongue.gif

Bruce Barrow

Pilot Roads have given me the best mileage on my 99RT. I have a new set in the garage ready to go for this spring. I should get about 9500 mi. on the present set. That is 2-3,000 miles more than the Metzlers and Bridgestones. I'll continue to run the Michelins until the bike is junked.

Bruce

Yeah Michelin Pilot Roads are JUNK!

All I got was a measley 10k out of them. Yuck. tongue.gif

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. lmao.gifgrin.gif

I would be happy to get 10000miles (16000km) out of the Pilot Roads. After all I only got 11000km out of BT020's. bncry.gif

RussInParis

The new Pilot Road 2 tire is a dual-rubber (bi-gomme in French) design with softer rubber on the sides and harder in the center. I put a set of them on but haven't done enough serious riding to comment intelligently. ...still enjoying that "new tire" feel. My initial impression is that they feel even more planted than the first generation PilotRoad.

Russ

Bruce Barrow

Hey, those of us getting higher mileage are not doing enough riding in the "twisties". I know that the flat spot on my rear tire could use a little rounding off. Time to go for a spin.

Bruce dopeslap.gif

I also use Pilot Roads on my '02RT. I like them very much. They do tend to get noisier as they wear, but it helps drown out the noisey transmission. I don't push cornering limits much anymore (Old age) but I had occasion to go to limit a few months ago avoiding an old woman in a cadillac that was trying to kill me.......I was properly impressed.

As opposed to the Metzlers, which look like they have 1 or 2k left, and show cord in 200 miles!

russell_bynum

I've been pretty darn impressed with Michelin's tires. The Pilot Sport 2 was the best tire we've had on Lisa's 5-series (dry grip was really good, but wet grip seemed to defy the laws of physics). I've run many sets of Pilot Roads on my RT (now Tony's RT...and I see that he's getting about the same amount of miles out of a set that I did) and Lisa's RS. I've had Pilot Powers on my CBR600RR track bike, and have been VERY impressed. I just spooned on a set of Pilot Race (Dual compound DOT-legal race tire) tires for our track day this weekend, and I'm really looking foward to trying those out.

My only complaint with the Pilot Roads, is what my esteemed brother Yeeha said: They do turn in a bit slowly. They're tremendously stable while leaned, though.

The other tire I'd consider: The Avon Azaro ST44/45. I've got a set of those on the Tuono and have been really impressed with the handing. It's like having power steering on the bike...it really drops into the turns easily now. I can't comment on their wear characteristics yet. I've probably got 3000 miles on this set and they've still got plenty of life left but I haven't run a set all the way down yet, so I can't really say how they compare.

That Avon Azaro has been replaced by the Avon Storm. The company blurb says it handles a little better, is much better in the rain, and wears the same as the Azaro. Because it came out in the winter, there have been few reports. The reports that have surfaced are very positive.

thumbsup.gifPilot Roads.

Good mileage

Balance beautifully (my front needed only 1/2 oz.; back 3/4 oz.)

"Satisfactory" handling characteristics (I'm not a racer and have yet to push them anywhere near their stiction limits)

Very even wear - rear stays round and front-to-back comparable (I run 42 psi back; 36 front)

Yes, the front gets a bit noisy after a while but doesn't bother me.

PhillyFlash

Same opinions as everyone else. I've run about 10 sets of Pilot Roads, with mileage up to 8500 miles (usually change them around 7500, just to be safe). If you wear earplugs, the noise isn't a problem. I've been happy enough to give up trying other tires. This was the first I've heard about Pilot Road 2 tires. Looking forward to trying a set.

Based on my experience, tire preference is a very personal thing. Most of the good tires out there are pretty comparable in their handling and grip characteristics, but there are some variations in mileage. The main thing is to try a few different tires, and figure out which ones you like the feel of. I know some people who will never use Pilot Roads because they don't like the feel, but love Metzlers, but I also know people who hate the Metzlers and will only go with Bridgestone, etc. You'll always find some slight tradeoffs in regards to grip, handling, and mileage, but motorcycle tires have advanced tremendously in the past 10 years, and most are pretty darn good. The key is to ride enough so you can change them frequently to find out what you like. I usually go through at least 2 sets a year, 3 if I'm being ambitious (or if I go to Torrey more than twice, right Russell).

russell_bynum

or if I go to Torrey more than twice, right Russell

Looking for another side-trip to Grand Junction for tires again? thumbsup.gif

Pilot Roads came with my '04 R1150R I bought used. They seem to wear very well. I've put on 4000 miles, and they seem about 50% worn. I grew accustomed to riding sportbikes and only getting 5000 max out of a rear tire. I ride with a passenger 90% of the time.

I had the Avons on my ZX9R which I also used for sport touring. THey had deep tread which helped wear, but it also made them more square when they were well worn. On a higher horsepower bike like that, I only got 5000 out of the rear.

Pilot Roads on both my 1200RT and Kathy's 1150RT....No complaints, really good mileage, a little noisy, don't seem to cup like Bridgestone's did and much better mileage.........Probably all m'cycle tires are in the "good" range, at least from a safety standpoint...Personal preference based on type of riding and maybe wear expectations is basis for brand choice I'd guess...

I'll buy Pilot Roads when tires are needed again.....

Phil.........Redbrick

Archived