IGNORED

Tyre Repairs - The Bridgestone View

Survived-til-now

Survived-til-now

I posted on another thread recently (Nail in Tyre) and confidently asserted that it was allowable to repair Z-rated tyres - then I had second thoughts and so I asked Bridgestone - herewith is their reply

Quote:

There is no specific law in the UK that says you cannot repair a tyre, however, there are guidelines. And it is these guidelines which Bridgestone UK follow. They are:

Pre-emptive liquid sealants

The use of ANY liquid sealant will render any warranty invalid. This form of temporary repair can have a detrimental effect on ply material and can hide any secondary damage caused by the penetrating object.

Tyre repairs

Bridgestone motorcycle tyres can be repaired in accordance with the relevant British Standard for tyre repairs – BSAU159f. If a repair is necessary, it must be carried out as soon as possible after the damage occurs. This reduces the possibility of extension of the injury with use, or deterioration due to the ingress of water or road dirt. Early removal of the tyre increases the possibility of a successful repair. In the event of an essential “get-you-home” temporary repair by the use of aerosol sealant or temporary plug kit, the tyre should then be removed and inspected by an expert as soon as possible, as it may not be fit for further service.

REPAIRS PERMITTED:

2 repairs per tyre in tyres up to and including J speed rating (62mph). Repairs on tyres up to and including J speed rating must not exceed 6mm in diameter.

1 repair per tyre in tyres above J speed rating, up to and including V speed rating (150mph). Repairs on tyres above J speed rating and up to V speed rating must not exceed 3mm in diameter.

The repair must be restricted to the centre of the tread area, 25% either side of the tyre’s centre line. Repairs must only be made using a mushroom-type plug.

No repairs are permitted above V speed rating (150mph) in accordance with BSAU159f.

So it is up to you really which option you take.

I trust this answers your question and thank you for your mail.

Kind Regards,

Gary Hartshorne

Motorsport, Sales and Technical

Bridgestone UK Ltd

Unquote

My grateful thanks to Bridgestone for taking the time and trouble to reply to my request. Now to correct my tyre dealer who repaired my 020's.......... which I believe are Z-rated (ZR on the tyre wall?)

Andy

Aluminum_Butt

Now to correct my tyre dealer who repaired my 020's.......... which I believe are Z-rated (ZR on the tyre wall?)

Are there differences in the Z tires versus the others that makes the repair less effective? If not, it seems like the repair should be fine on any tire so long as you're not going to ride it at 150mph. In other words, it seems like the quoted standard is based on what speed a given type of repair will handle. If you can ride 120mph on a repaired tire rated for 120mph, why can't you ride 120mph on a repaired tire rated for 150mph?

Some of this is rather illogical. If one correctly-done repair is considered acceptable and reliable for the remaining life of the tire, why is it that a second repair (say) on the opposite side of the tire, done in the same approved and correct manner, is going to cause some kind of danger? One repair has no way of knowing the other is there, and both are done in a manner which is considered reliable. Adding a second repair is obvioulsy not going to cause one or both of them to be unreliable. This makes no logical sense.

Archived