IGNORED

Singing the Praise of Works Performance Shocks

OlGeezer

I have been consistently overwhelmed by the outstanding customer service I've received from Works since I bought my rear shock nearly 50k miles ago. When I first bought it, through Irv Seaver's in Orange, I quickly realized the spring rate wasn't as stiff as I had hoped. After all, I had no intentions of slowing down just because I was riding two-up and carrying five days of gear. Even though I had the shock more than the specified 30 days, after a brief telephone conversation with Pierre, he agreed it was never right and agreed to swap the spring at no charge.

Somewhat later, I had my bike at Seaver's to have them check my final drive bearing and needle bearings. While there, the service manager at the time noticed that there was more play between the shock bolt and bushings than there should be. Another conversation with Pierre led to custom machined bushings, again at no charge.

If you've been following my sheared shock bolt saga, you know that I sent my rear shock to Works and it arrived last Thursday. I was dreading that it was already too close to riding season (at least here in sunny Southern California) for me to the shock back in a "reasonable" amount of time (my time frame). I took my best shot and included the best "whine and beg" letter I could compose and sent my shock off.

Amazingly, I got a call today. Monday. The gentlemen on the phone said that the shock would be sent out today and I should receive it via UPS Ground tomorrow. I asked if he knew that the nitrogen valve had broken. He said, yes; that would be replaced. I asked if he was aware that an oil seal was gone. He said that all seals and O-Rings would be replaced. He reminded me that I had mentioned that I needed my bike back together by this weekend. I said, "right".

This kind of treatment has happened far too often to be a mere coincidence.

Yes, we see them on occassion. Usually it isn't a sheared bolt, but someone comes in complaining of a "clicking" sound in the suspension. It is usually either a worn lower shock bushing in the BMW swingarm or a worn shock bolt.

Specifically as it relates to aftermarket shocks, we see this even more often when owner-installed shocks are involved (brand makes no difference). This is often traced back to the bolt not being retightened to the correct torque specs.

Specifically as it relates to aftermarket shocks, we see this even more often when owner-installed shocks are involved (brand makes no difference). This is often traced back to the bolt not being retightened to the correct torque specs.

I plead guilty to not putting a torque wrench on the bolt the last time I installed it. But, it's only torqued to 58NM which is about 40 ft.-lbs. You can bet I'll put a torque wrench on it this time.

The service manager at Seaver's called the bushing a "consumable" and it is a soft material. It's got an oblong hole in it and I suspect that this bushing (it's the original with 94k miles on it BTW) wore oblong allowing the bolt to flex back and forth causing a fatigue failure at the threaded end and when that failed, the shank sheared off. Just a guess.

Sooo...when you replace those bolts, replace that bushing, will ya?

Regards,

Bill

Archived