IGNORED

HELP my RT stopped ! No Spark

superlight93

superlight93

I started my bike,ran for a minute and then quit. I thought I ran out of gas but put more in and still will not run. So I then pulled one plug and cranked it over,no spark!

Not much to go on here, but you can start by checking the primary wiring, make sure no loose connections, check the kill switch, make sure it's not grounding out, if that's not it check the Hall Effect Sensor.

One more thing, check the sidestand switch, if the switch is open the bike won't start in gear even with the clutch

disengaged.

thumbsup.gif

Stan Walker

So I then pulled one plug and cranked it over,no spark

Hopefully you grounded the outside of the plug to something metalic and didn't just let it hang there in mid air.

Stan

superlight93

I did touch the plug to the head. Can I bypass the sidestand switch? Everything else is operational on the bike just no spark.

Stan Walker

Can I bypass the sidestand switch?

The answer to your question is yes, you can bypass it.

It would be useful to know what model and year bike you are riding. It's hard to be very helpful without knowing even that.

Stan

superlight93

2001 RT1100 What is the function of the sidestand switch? How can I bypass it to see if that is the culprit?

unplug the switch and make a small jumper harness (maybe one with alligator clips on both ends).

Insert this harness into the switch receptacle (wiring harness) which goes to the rest of the bike. This effectively 'closes' the switch, completing the circuit.

RG

I started my bike,ran for a minute and then quit. I thought I ran out of gas but put more in and still will not run. So I then pulled one plug and cranked it over,no spark!

Not sure I understand why you are being led to the sidestand switch when you say the bike cranked over.

An open sidestand switch will not result in any engine/starter cranking.

superlight93

A BMW tech said it could be the coil. I need to get an ohm meter and check to see if I am getting a pulse signal from the ignition sensor wher it plugs in the coil.

Backing up a bit....

You say everything else is working...So you have...

1)fuel pump initializing when key first turned to "on".

2)RID evident (fuel level etc.)

Fuel pressure has to be present.(no pressure..no spark)

You can pull an injector and check for pulse of sprayed fuel.

If you hear the pump and do not have an injector functioning then look at HES.

I only mention these things as trouble-shooting you can do without a VM up to this point.

Now you'll need the VM if the pump is working and no injector spray. smile.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Small correction, there is no causal relationship between fuel pressure and spark. Nor does a running fuel pump mean you will have fuel pressure.

Do look for a healthy squirt from the injectors while cranking the motor.

No spark could mean coil, HES sensor, plug wires, Motronic. Systematic checking is the only way to go. BTW, if the injectors are squirting at once per rev, your HES is probably all right.

Small correction, there is no causal relationship between fuel pressure and spark. Nor does a running fuel pump mean you will have fuel pressure.

I thought there would not be a spark sequence if the fuel pressure was not sensed/read by the motronic.

Wrong?

I thought there would not be a spark sequence if the fuel pressure was not sensed/read by the motronic.

Wrong?

Most vehicles with FI will shutoff the fuel pump within a second or two,if the computer loses the HES signal.

Thats a safety feature.I don't know if its mandated by the goverment or not,but it stops the fuel pump from spraying fuel from a broken fuel line after a crash.

Most vehicles don't report fuel pressure to the computer,but I am just generalizing all vehicles,there is always exceptions to the rule.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Most vehicles don't report fuel pressure to the computer,but I am just generalizing all vehicles,there is always exceptions to the rule.

R1100RT is no exception; Motronic does not sense fuel pressure. I confirmed this at Cody in '04, when I popped a fuel line loose inside the tank. Could not develop any fuel pressure, but of course it had spark when I cranked the engine.

The fuel pump is triggered to run for a sec or two (like when you turn the key on) whenever the Motronic gets a blip from the HES on the crank; if the blips come fast enough (i.e. the engine is cranking or idling), the pump runs continuously. You can observe this by putting the bike in top gear, key on/neutral/sidestand-up, and spinning the rear wheel by hand; the pump will run periodically (and of course you'll also get spark).

When that fuel line came off in Cody, the telling clue was that the fuel pump didn't sound like it was laboring it all. It ran when I turned the key, but it was quiet and higher-pitched than normal, because it wasn't working against any pressure.

Anyway, Ed's got the list. No spark? Work your way up the chain of command. Tips on diagnosing the HES can be found here.

Archived