IGNORED

Mesh Jacket

Rotor

Looking for a good mesh jacket that also has a zip in/out rain liner. I live in Florida (hot and humid), so its gotta breath very well!!! It's hard to select the right garmet from the web when you can't actually hold it. Any recommendations??????

AdventurePoser

I'm partial to my Joe Rocket 4.0 Phoenix. In the summer, the zip out liner is just enough on those cool mornings!

Steve in So Cal

John,

Living in NW Florida, I to have tried many mesh jackets. My favorite is Cortech Air. There sizes run a little big, so fit is easier to achieve. Some of the makes fit very poorly around the neck and shoulders. The Cortech fits perfect. They make other colors, not just black. The air really flows. I always shop on ebay for like new. The last 2 I purchased were in the mid-40's before shipping. If you have a dealer close that has a big inventory, stop by and try. Good luck.

I would like to thank each of you for your input. I was confident I'd get some good suggestions. Now, it's time to start shopping and comparing.

John

AdventurePoser

I really liked this jacket, but I could never find a good fit in it...glad it fits you!

Fit is pretty important to me, and the JR comes in Tall sizes, which helped me out a lot! grin.gif

Steve

PhysicsWinz

I have the RevIt mesh--it is as you describe. I live in New Orleans so I feel your pain. As long as you are moving you will be comfortable. On the hottest days I will soak my T shirt and put on the RevIt and am very cool for quite a while.

The liner breathes and can be used to extend the jackets seasons to almost 4 seasons where I am.

Check out the Rev'It usa website.

John

John,

I'm looking for a cool jacket also and think the "Tour Master" Flex Jacket looks interesting....Has anyone out there tried one???

Steve

A point of info. Tour Master and Cortech are the same company. I was just browsing Ebay and the jackets new are going for $50.00 and New Enough has the liners starting at 1 dollar. thumbsup.gif Steve, I have not tried the flex but every Cortech product I have owned is first rate for a very fair price. Good Luck

I have the Tourmaster Draft Air mesh jacket and I find it quite effective in the heat. I bought it last year in anticipation of the Ride Smart class in Tennessee where temps were predicted in the high 90's (and delivered).

Fit is reasonably good and air flow is outstanding. When I bought the jacket the optional Aquatherm liner was out of stock so all I had was the jacket. The jacket flows too much air to be viable much below 65 F which was fine in the heat of summer. I've since obtained the liner which is actually 2 liners. There's a waterproof shell that zips into the mesh jacket which, obviously, makes it waterproof, and then an insulated liner that zips in too (they can be used separately). With both liners in I've ridden to work in the high 40s with no problem. The armour seems aequate and with the optional liners it's quite a flexible jacket. Got mine from Newenough who I have always had great service from.

Take a look at Olympia Airglide Mesh Tech II Jacket...

+1

$200 was a hard pill to swallow on my first real piece of riding gear, but 2 months later I can't find a thing that I don't like about it. Awesome, high-quality product.

Another +1 for the Motoport mesh kevlar here. I like that all Motoport's materials aren't poly coated like most other brand gear out there. Therefore, Motoport's material will not melt into your skin in a getoff.

I use my Air Mesh Kevlar jacket year round. I do have the waterproof, windproof, breathable liner for it and on the RT it is good from the mid 40's up to the low to mid 80's as long as you are moving. Below the mid 40's, I take the liner out and switch to the Gerbing heated liner instead. Motoport cuts the neck opening large enough to accomodate the Gerbing liner turtleneck portion very comfortably. In the warmer weather, the larger neck opening is nice because it contributes nicely for ventilation around my neck.

If you decide to go the Motoport route, they make jackets tailored to your measurements. I have about $430 bucks in my jacket and liner and I am well pleased with the quality, fit, and function. It is nice to have just one riding jacket system for all 4 seasons. This saves money in the long run.

Motoport's kevlar is the only way to go. Forget the liners though. Order the Aerotex rain jacket and pants to wear over the mesh, it's much better for cold weather and quicker to slip on if you get caught in the rain. In cold weather add Under Armour cold gear, use good long johns over that. Add a thin jacket under the mesh if you're still chilly and watch out for glare ice.

CruisinCruzan

My .02 I have the motoport air kevlar mesh jacket and pants. IMO they provide the highest level of protection of any mesh garment. The kevlar mesh is substantial and flows air well. If that is what you get order early as ETA means very little and sending it back for adjustment is not an unusual thing. I removed the chest armor and it made quite a difference in air flow to the chest. The con to this jacket is that the kevlar fabric will never be as soft and comfortable as nylon (cordura). I also have the motoport cordura pants and when comparing the 2 side by side the softness of the cordura is immediately apparent. Despite the shortcomings it is the suit I wear when it is really hot. I would second the recommendation to get a standard rainsuit. I have been in the trying to get liners put in when you are stopped on the road and it suddenly starts pouring, not pretty, but excellent comic relief. My wife tolerates heat much less than I (my being born in St. Croix and she being born in Stuttgart may have something to do with that) did not like my jacket and decided she liked the Rukka air power. It's made from a specially woven Cordura called AFT that air passes through like nothing is in the way. The armor is more comfortable than the motoport armor and she loves how comfortable it is (and she must be happy). The problem is that they are ridiculously expensive but if my motoport had to be replaced that is what I would get because of how comfortable they feel. Get whatever feels best for you.

Rotor: Vanson has out a Ventmax 3 mesh jacket made out of 1000 denier cordura (Dupont), leather covered shoulders and elbows, and CE armor. Couple that with a rainsuit (1 or 2 piece), and some BMW Gore-Tex summer rain gloves and you would be all set for the lovely Florida summers. Of course, if you order know, the Motoport kevlar air mesh would be the way to go if it's in your budget. The Vanson is under $150 for quality abrasion-resistance and cooling.

Archived