IGNORED

Helmet brand for long/oval head shape ?

MattP

Ok, need some direction here. I have an HJC Sy-Max that has been a great companion, but is WORN OUT. Read a lot of reviews, tried a Scorpion EXO-700 (large- have a 7 3/8 noggin). Well, after wearing it around the house all evening it just didn't feel right (but maybe it was...read on). Took it back, wore a Nolan N-100E around the store, felt great. Also seemed familiar with the modular feature (coming from the Sy-Max). So I thought I had this *&^$# situation solved, but after wearing the Nolan all day, I thought someone had put my forehead in a vice. AUGH! This is getting annoying. I have a long-oval shaped head. Suggestions? Should I have given the Scorpion more of a chance? Trying to spend $250 or less, although I will say that I tried on a Large Shoei RF-1000 and that thing fit like it was custom-made for my head. I just didn't want to fork over the $380 for it. HELP!!! confused.gif

Long oval heads were made for Arai. Their lids are made with your head in mind. Yes, you will pay for it too! But the fit is mahvalis, dahling! thumbsup.gif

Shoei is for round or square heads, however, if you get one big enough, you can make yourself believe that it is a good fit. tongue.gif

Steve_Witmer

I looked a long time for a replacement for my Shoei RF800, because I have the same problem. One of the Arai (I think the Corsair) fit well, but it was about $700. I was surprised at how well the Scorpion fit me, and bought it. I'm mostly happy, but it has more noise than the old Shoei (of course it has more ventilation also).

The Arai Profile (a new model that replaces the Signet) is designed to fit long oval heads and is a very nice premium quality helmet. List prices are around $500 (solid color) but some shopping around should net a price about $100 less than that.

I'm more of a long oval fit when it comes to helmets. I get the best fit with the Arai Signet or my current helmet the Shoei RF1000. The ventilation on the RF1000 is outstanding.

Nolan N102 is what I ended up with. Fits my oval much better than the Nolan 100 that I tried on. There is a big difference in the shape of these 2 models. I was in a Shoei RF 900 previously.

Kurt Snyder

Aria Profile or Shoei X11 are long oval. I had been using Aria for years but bought a Shoei X11 last year. The Shoei shield system is much easier to use than Aria's. I never found a Shoei that fit me until the X11 came out. Ventilation is better with the X11 than the Aria. Try everthing before you buy. Good luck.

Kurt

I have an oval head also. My Arai Signet fits great, now it's called "Profile". I also have a Scorpion EXO400 which I really like. It fit slightly better than the 700 model. This is the helmet I have been using for longer rides lately. And the fog free shield is excellent!

Try on a Schuberth S1 - typical fit for the S1 is one size larger than the Shoei. Once you find an S1 which fits, look at the price tag... $380 for the Shoei looks like a bargan now doesn't it! lmao.gif

My bit of advice is to be sure and "try before you buy." I was told that the Profile was the direct replacement to super comfy, but now discontinued Signet GT. Well, at least for my 7 3/8 long oval noggin, it is NOT.... crazy.gif

I did some on-line eBay searching and found some discontinued Arai Signets for sale...bought one and have been quite happy with it. (Happy that is other than dealing their less-than-optimal visor attachment system... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif )

YMMV

Why not buy another HJC SyMax? Your post doesn't indicate if you were unhappy with it? And the price will be about $250 or less. wave.gif

Why not buy another HJC SyMax? Your post doesn't indicate if you were unhappy with it? And the price will be about $250 or less. wave.gif

Well first of all, thanks to ALL for the great info and suggestions. In regards to the SyMax, that's not a bad idea, it just seems a little noisey and after reading all the posts about "quiet" full-face helmets I thought I would seek one out. And as far as price, I am coming to grips with $400 not being all that outrageous if it means comfort/proper fit (did someone do a study that the owners of long-oval shaped heads have a lot of disposable income? THEY'RE WRONG! eek.gif). For now, though, the ol' SyMax is like a comfortable pair of shoes. grin.gif (smelly, beat-up, ugly...)

Trying to spend $250 or less, although I will say that I tried on a Large Shoei RF-1000 and that thing fit like it was custom-made for my head. I just didn't want to fork over the $380 for it. HELP!!! confused.gif
The Shark RSI fits a long oval head (like mine) very well. I've had mine for about two months now and love it. It's light, flows a good amount of air and has an anti-fog shield. The only drawback is the ear pockets are kinda shallow so it's not the best choice it you want to mount speakers in there. WebBike world gave it a good review here: Link . The price is in your range also.
I thought someone had put my forehead in a vice. AUGH!
My husband had that problem for years until he discovered ARAI in the early 80's....no problem since. He's in a Quantum F now but the Astral X (discontinued) and the Vector fit the same. Maybe you can find a Quantum F or Astral X on sale now that they are discontinued.

Arai and BMW (import from England). Note BMW sizing is by cm measurement around crown, just above eyebrows. Arai by general size, and you should probablay move up a notch L in others equals Arai XL).

Wear it for at least 20-plus minutes before buying!

Ray

Archived