IGNORED

Odyessy Battery Voltage Measurements

Steve_Reinig

Steve_Reinig

My ABS has been faulting quite a bit lately even after resetting. I would like to rule out one potential possiblity that being a dying batter. After riding today about 75 hwy miles I measured the voltage with the bike off (13.2 volts) and running at idle (13.76). Is this within acceptable ranges. Thanks

If you are trying to determine battery condition by its resting voltage you need to fully charge the battery, let it for several hours with no load, and then take the reading. You should see 12.6-12.8 volts. But that's not really a conclusive test in itself, voltage under load is also important. Since you probably don't have a load tester you can check the voltage while cranking, should be no less than 10.5 volts.

As you may know the ABS system on the 1100 bikes is excessively sensitive to low battery voltage during the start cycle and ABS faults are common even when the battery is in relatively good shape, meaning that the battery can have plenty of power to start the engine yet still trigger an ABS fault (so if you're replacing the battery just to make the ABS happy then you may be replacing it too soon.) If the problem is very troublesome there is a mod you can perform to delay the ABS self-test until after engine start, which completely solves the problem.

You need to know the voltage while you were cranking.

Testing my memory but I believe the ABS doesn't like voltage falling below 11.2 or so.

The posted voltages for what you checked are fine.

Seth? How'd you type all that while I did three lines? blush.gif

Archived