IGNORED

Replacement windshield for R1200RT

mlambo

Hello all. I am new to this forum. Nice to be aboard.

After a year of riding the new RT under my belt, I am going to replace the original windshield. I have discovered 3 possible alternatives:

1) AeroFlow AeroScreen System ($359.00) This shield is the most expensive, but sounds pretty good. It comes in three sizes, Standard, medium and tall;

2) Cee Bailey's Custom Touring Windshield ($225.00) Also sounds good, indicating "Significant improvement" over the OEM shield and establishing a "comfort pocket" for the rider;

3) Z Technik VStream ($179.00) The least expensive but looks really good. States it "pushes [the] wake 4" from side of rider's helmet" and also improves passenger environment as well.

Does anyone have any experience with the above shields? Do you like them; dislike them? Is installation much of a challenge? It looks pretty basic.

Thanks in advance guys (gals) - Mike cool.gif

Like you, I have a year-old RT, and just installed the ZTechnik screen on Friday. Very easy to do. Six screws (T-25).

I bought it based on comments I read here, and elsewhere, along with seeing it "in the flesh" on an RT recently. The owner liked his. I also chose it because of all the posts from people complaining about broken windscreen support arms, all appeared to have installed aftermarket screens, but none was a ZTechnik as best I could recall.

I've only ridden with it for three hours, so these are preliminary impressions.

It's well made, and looks good in my view (I saw a post from at least one person who thought it was ugly, but I think it complements the look of the bike well). It does not shake like the BMW screen. It's not much higher, but certainly is wider up top.

My subjective impression is that it gives better protection from the wind, and it's somewhat quieter behind the screen. Bear in mind that I had not ridden my bike since mid-November (we have this thing called winter), and I was also wearing a brand new helmet for the first time too.

Your height will matter too. I'm 5'8". Your results may differ. grin.gif

Mike,

I purchased the Aeroflow. You're right, it's a bit pricey and should include the additional airflow management kit which provides some more protection from backflow. Everything is easy to install and I've been extremely impressed with the performance of the screen. No air turbulance at all. I'm 5'11" and I ordered the medium screen.

I've noticed no bubbles in the manufacturing of the screen or poor quality craftsmanship. Ordering is easy and shipped right out. I'm sold on it after 5,000 miles of trouble free riding.

Mike,

I've had the Z-Technik on my R12RT for 9K now. If you wish to see one mounted I'll be at Rich's Custom Seats on Aurora Ave getting a new saddle made this Tuesday, 4/3. My appointment is at 9:30 am and will take probably 4+ hours. It has performed as advertised and I've been very happy with it.

Oh, welcome to the board!

I had an Aeroflow on my R1100RT and I have a Cee Bailey on my R1200RT. I like the Cee Bailey better because the top of the windshield seems to kick the air up over my head a bit better and I don't have to put the windshield up very high for effective wind control. I am 6'3" tall and I have my seat on the highest position available. Hope this helps in your decision.

TG

I had a CeeBailey, 2over wide, 2 over high. Did great, but one hot days wanted some air while in town. Went to a stock height, 2 over width. Love it. The little kickup on the sheild really works. I am 5-11 and this sheild in the down position lets wind hit from neck up in town, and about nose high on road. Very little UP on the button, and smooth sailing. Great quality shield.

bakerzdosen
If you wish to see one mounted I'll be at Rich's Custom Seats on Aurora Ave getting a new saddle made this Tuesday, 4/3. My appointment is at 9:30 am and will take probably 4+ hours.
No, that's not a good idea. Then you'll need a custom seat AND a new windscreen. tongue.gif

Good luck with the new seat Kitsap. RIch is good people.

fourteenfour

I just installed the Z-Tech vstream shield the other week and could not be happier.

My local dealer ordered it and even assisted installing it (actually the mechanic did it while we were talking about how to do it)

AdventurePoser

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the board! Some people change windscreens like they change underwear. Daily it seems... clap.gif

I've had an Aeroflow, a Cee Bailey, and am currently using the stocker. The Aeroflow was on my R1150RT and it was a fine screen, especially in the winter.

The Cee Bailey was OEM on my RT since it had 1K miles on it when I purchased. Optically excellent, the screen was extremely well made. The only problem was that it was too big for me. I'm not exactly what it's size it, but 4" high and 3" wider come to mind. It is a barn door!

Now, I threw on an original screen and am quite happy. I'm not sure what the fuss is about them. Mine seems quite fine, plus I get nearly 50 mpg with it, compared to 42 on the CB...

I think most of the aftermarket screens are fine, and it all comes down to individual preference. Try to ride some different ones before you buy if you can.

Good luck,

Steve in So Cal

I purchased the Ztechnik and I have to say, it's awesome compared to the stock screen. My passenger even noticed the difference. I researched this topic like crazy, and the Ztechnik appealed to me based on the reviews compared to the other screens. IMO, it also looks better. I know most of us like things that function well, but we also like them to look good in the process. The Ztechnik screen has got me covered on all levels.

thumbsup.gif

You should be aware that there appears to be a problem with the BMW windshield support arms and after market sheilds. There have been a number of reports of broken support arms and they all appear to have happened with after market shields. If you check the archives you will see reports of this (in fact I there is currently a thread on this very subject).

You should be aware that there appears to be a problem with the BMW windshield support arms and after market sheilds. There have been a number of reports of broken support arms and they all appear to have happened with after market shields. If you check the archives you will see reports of this (in fact I there is currently a thread on this very subject).

Although none seems to be associated with the ZTechnik VStream, as far as I can tell.

I installed the aeroflow on my bike 2 months ago & love it.

It is the quiestest of the bunch.

Don't trust the sizing.

I got the standard size, & I am 5' 9".

If I would have went with their recommendation, I would have ordered the medium.

With the standard size, I can still get it low enough on the hot days.

thumbsup.gif

Thank you all for great input. I am glad to be part of the fam. Kitsap, sorry I missed you. I actually had Rich do a custom seat for me last year. He was a kick. He kept me entertained the whole time I was there waiting for the RT. The seat is great for rider and passenger. cool.gif

Archived