IGNORED

K12RS to 1100RT???

rcd12

hi all new to the board here so this is my first post. i have been reading the posts in here on riding comfort on an rt and rs, hears my delima. i sold my k12rs a few months back, due to some neck problems (pinched nerve to be exact) i was having and it was causing discomfort to ride even short rides. i am wanting my rs back real bad, but thought i would try the 1100rt or 1150rt. will i end up with same issues on the rt that i had on my rs? i had tryed many different things on the rs before i gave in and let it go. i really liked that bike, i hope there is an option that will work to get me back on the bike. any suggestions out there will help before i buy another one. i have riddin a few rt's but not for any longer than a 15 or 20 minute test ride. and it seemed ok but it just isnt the k12rs that i had.

John Bentall

It is likely that the only BMW's that will keep you happy -bike and body-wise - are the R1200RT and the new K1200GT, possibly even a well-set-up twin-spark 1150RT.

Other bikes to consider would be the Honda ST1100 & ST1300 and possibly the Yamaha FJR.

Paul Mihalka

Welcome to the asylum! smile.gif See if you can find a RT, any model, that you can take out for a extended test ride. May be a dealer has a used RT that he does not mind putting 50/60 miles on so you can test your "pain in the neck".

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, if a more upright riding position will help your neck, you might have found it with the RT. That said, a K12RS is a wonderfully comfortable long distance bike once you learn how to sit on it and ride it.

Since you are new here, you may never have heard of the Master Yoda riding position. It really serves to eliminate nearly all of the (probable) issues you had with the RS.

I cannot speak to your neck problems specifically, as I am not a doctor. I do, however, know that maintaining the shoulders, neck and head in their proper alignment goes a big way toward alleviating the problems you describe. The MYRP allows you to do just that.

Even if you decide to go with the RT, and still encounter some degree of discomfort, adapt that riding position and you will find things are much better.

hey thanks for the imput i read thruogh the master yoda stuff and it makes sense, i have just looked at two different rt's a 98 1100rt-p and a 04 1150 rt. any thoughts on the 03 or 04 K1200gt? i dont want to spend the cash on a new one so i will go with a uesd one. any other imput is greatly apprecaited. i hope to buy something within the next week or so.

ShovelStrokeEd

To me, the GT version represents a compromise to the ergonomics of the K12RS and not for the better. Remember, I ride a Honda Blackbird, and find it to be comparable to the KRS in seating position and ergos in general. It also responds in the same fashion to MYRP and the techniques that evolve from it.

When I got my bike, I was a bit disappointed with its handling and general level of comfort. It was equipped with a Corbin gunfighter and lady seat, a taller double bubble windscreen and Helibars, in other words, almost exactly the KGT ergos. Over the 15 months I have had it, the screen went, as did the bars and the seat and the bike is back to, for me, near perfection in riding position. The only thing I kept were the Gilles Tooling rearsets, moving them back and up from the stock Blackbird position to the equivalent of the KRS high peg position.

Now, about me and how I fit on the bike. I'm 64 and change years old, 5'10" tall, 30" inseam, 33" sleeve length and about 197 lbs. No knee pain, no neck pain, no problems whatever and I consider a 600-750 mile day pretty average. The reach to the bars is a little long for around town but gets perfect at 80 mph. I also like it for the twisties, such as they are down here. Slight modification to seating position allows my butt to go back a bit, a little more bend at the hips and there I am, with my upper torso down and forward, my elbows about level with my hands and in position to shift weight, using my legs and peg pressure, as needed.

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

Just like "Shovel" says.. I am near his age and find riding my K12RS to be extremely satisfying using correct ergos and making some pretty long cruises on it are no problem. Each individual has certain things that they prefer when riding so you may find something else that suits your style perfectly so go with it. JMHO thumbsup.gif

DaveTheAffable
any thoughts on the 03 or 04 K1200gt?

'03 and '04 K1200GT and K1200RS are "the same bike" ergonomically. Differences are only in features and cosmetics.

any thoughts on the 03 or 04 K1200gt?

'03 and '04 K1200GT and K1200RS are "the same bike" ergonomically. Differences are only in features and cosmetics.

Not really, there are ergo diffs, but you can convert a KRS into almost a GT.

The handlebars and grips are different.

The seat is different.

The RS has thinner grips and less padded seat without heat option for seat.

The side rubber wind deflectors and the fairing side pieces (hand protectors) can be added to a KRS and they do make a difference.

The stock windscreens are different.

Some models had different rear shocks and wheel sizes.

Not a lot of stuff, but if you ride them back to back it's noticeable.

i had almost made my mind up to buy an rt when i went and rode a 05 r1200gs very nice bike easy to ride, comfortable and meets my riding position issues, took a nice thirty minute ride and no neck problems, not what i expected at all. i was just hoping for a bit more weather protection for daily commuting, the rt i found is a very nice bike and most likely will be the way i go. i really appreciate all the advice i have gotten here so far. tough call though. if i went with the gs it would have to be the gs adventure if for nothing else i really like the rugged look of it. but then again the rt is a nice bike as well.

• 2 weeks later...

well i finally decided, i found an immaculate 02 1150rt here on the board and bought it, so far so good. its got the cee bailey windshield as well as stock. bike looks like new. lets hope it wrks for me. thanks agan to all who contributed there thoughts. smile.gif

well i finally decided, i found an immaculate 02 1150rt here on the board and bought it, so far so good. its got the cee bailey windshield as well as stock. bike looks like new. lets hope it wrks for me. thanks agan to all who contributed there thoughts. smile.gif

Congratulations! Hope you will enjoy your new ride. thumbsup.gif

Archived