IGNORED

Rear Shock Mount Saga

OlGeezer

First of all, thanks to all the advice I've received, particularly about removing the muffler. The "twist and pull" technique worked perfectly!

I went to Irv Seaver's today to pick up a replacement bolt. I showed my double sheared bolt to the parts manager. When he didn't exhibit a remarkable reaction, I asked him if this happens very often. He responded "I've got a drawer full of these". I was shocked (sorry for the pun)! He said that he tried hard not to let customers reuse their shock bolts because of this.

P3310085s.jpg

After I had removed the muffler and side plate, I noticed the bushing in the other side of the sock fitting (the non-threaded side). The hole looked definitely out of center. I put the new bolt it it and there was certainly an excessive amount space between the bolt and bushing. I called the parts manager and ordered a new bushing. By the time I got off the phone, Jim had arrived and we were ready for the exciting part.

P3310086s.jpg

I tapped on my centerpunch and set a point for the 5/32" drill bit. I bought a new, hard steel bit just for this reason and it cut right into the bolt even with the drill operating at a slow speed.

P3310087s.jpg

Jim then demonstrated the use of the thread extractor. The problem we had was getting the thread extractor in and getting a good grip on it. We solved the problem by using a tap wrench. Also, Jim used his industrial strength blow drier to get the temperature up so that the thread lock would get a little fluid.

Now I wait for the news on the shock rebuild. It arrived at the Works office Thursday.

I'm disappointed that this is such a weak point. IMO, this should be a 10mm bolt. Also, the sleeve feels like aluminum. I'm thinking this should be a stronger material.

Anyway, with all of this, I'm recommending that one should consider replacin their shock bolts and bushings. I'm going to make it part of my regular (36k) service.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill! Great pictorial on how you fixed a broken bolt and checked and replaced the bushing. Good info on new bolt and bushing when replacing, fixing or upgrading the shock! clap.gif

Archived