IGNORED

I NEED YOU EXPERIENCED BMW OWNERS TO LEVEL WITH ME...

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

I'm new to BMW ownership, but not motorcycles, and I've been learning a lot about how to farkle and fiddle here on this site. I've realized it's a lot more complex and demanding than owning a Honda or a Yamaha or a track bike, but I'm trying, and I think, I THINK, I'm getting the hang of it. I've read the posts about gas gauges being off, for instance, and how to carry some gas and run the bike to empty so I can know to the tenth of a mile how far I can go before I hit REAL empty, and, oh, another example might be, well, CRS has struck for the moment and I can't think of one, but I hope you get the idea. I also have remembered that my neighbor two houses down used to have a BMW sedan, and he would pressure wash it each week, including the undercarriage, and I figure that sort of attention to detail prolly carries over to the BMW bikes, too?

So, I've got everything I wanted on the bike now, the GPS, the Valentine, the Roady, the Autocom, etc, but I'm not exactly sure I'm doing the whole thing correctly, so I need you guys who've been on the BMW scene for more than a little while to level with me and tell me if I am doing the RAM mount adjustment correctly:

th_IMG_0842.jpg

CLICKABLE

I mean, it's about a 23rd of a bubble off, and I din't bother to put the torpedo on the other axis. Is that close enough?

wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

I mean, it's about a 23rd of a bubble off, and I din't bother to put the torpedo on the other axis. Is that close enough?
Mark, I think that you're going to be a perfect BMW owner... grin.gif

lmao.gif Good one!

If you ever have the bubble in the middle you're riding in the wrong place!

Forgive me if this isn't a joke. My advice is sit on the bike in your typical riding position and adjust your devices so you can see them best.

Bubble...sorry...you're killing me. lmao.gif

mean, it's about a 23rd of a bubble off, and I din't bother to put the torpedo on the other axis. Is that close enough?

I guess if you think that's good enough, OK. Personaly, if I do something, I like to do it right, but hey, your bike. smirk.gif

I'm new to BMW ownership, but not motorcycles, and I've been learning a lot about how to farkle and fiddle here on this site. I've realized it's a lot more complex and demanding than owning a Honda or a Yamaha or a track bike, but I'm trying, and I think, I THINK, I'm getting the hang of it. I've read the posts about gas gauges being off, for instance, and how to carry some gas and run the bike to empty so I can know to the tenth of a mile how far I can go before I hit REAL empty, and, oh, another example might be, well, CRS has struck for the moment and I can't think of one, but I hope you get the idea. I also have remembered that my neighbor two houses down used to have a BMW sedan, and he would pressure wash it each week, including the undercarriage, and I figure that sort of attention to detail prolly carries over to the BMW bikes, too?

So, I've got everything I wanted on the bike now, the GPS, the Valentine, the Roady, the Autocom, etc, but I'm not exactly sure I'm doing the whole thing correctly, so I need you guys who've been on the BMW scene for more than a little while to level with me and tell me if I am doing the RAM mount adjustment correctly:

th_IMG_0842.jpg

CLICKABLE

wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

You are doing it all wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

Everyone here knows if you are going to be a BMW rider you must be at least.....

One full bubble off. lmao.gif

I'm new to BMW ownership, but not motorcycles, and I've been learning a lot about how to farkle and fiddle here on this site. I've realized it's a lot more complex and demanding than owning a Honda or a Yamaha or a track bike, but I'm trying, and I think, I THINK, I'm getting the hang of it. ... ...So, I've got everything I wanted on the bike now, the GPS, the Valentine, the Roady, the Autocom, etc, but I'm not exactly sure I'm doing the whole thing correctly, so I need you guys who've been on the BMW scene for more than a little while to level with me and tell me if I am doing the RAM mount adjustment correctly:

th_IMG_0842.jpg

CLICKABLE

Most likely the floor in your garage isn't level. The builder prolly wasn't your neighbor who pressure washes his beemer.

Now, go ride the durn thing for a few thousand miles. wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

markgoodrich
Been doing two and four-wheeled BMWs for 35 years, and still don't understand your post. Happy Trolling.

Hey, I was just joking around, making fun of myself, sorry if I offended your sensibilities, tender or otherwise.

markgoodrich
I'm new to BMW ownership, but not motorcycles, and I've been learning a lot about how to farkle and fiddle here on this site. I've realized it's a lot more complex and demanding than owning a Honda or a Yamaha or a track bike, but I'm trying, and I think, I THINK, I'm getting the hang of it. ... ...So, I've got everything I wanted on the bike now, the GPS, the Valentine, the Roady, the Autocom, etc, but I'm not exactly sure I'm doing the whole thing correctly, so I need you guys who've been on the BMW scene for more than a little while to level with me and tell me if I am doing the RAM mount adjustment correctly:

th_IMG_0842.jpg

CLICKABLE

Most likely the floor in your garage isn't level. The builder prolly wasn't your neighbor who pressure washes his beemer.

Now, go ride the durn thing for a few thousand miles. wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

I did that part already, the riding a few thousand miles. Am off tomorrow to the Igoatarod in beautiful Eldorado, Texas...might as well ride it, I'll be darned if I can figure out how to make the mapping software work to make a route. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

The neighbor? He's a fairly small guy, got rid of the BMW sedan and bought one of those gigantic 4WD Dodge pickups, set wayyyyy up off the ground. Now he can pressure wash the underside on Sundays with greater ease, but he (I swear) has to climb up on the front bumper to pressure wash the engine compartment...every week.

And THANKS for the tip about the garage floor!!

So tomorrow if you see a two-up BMW out in the hinters of Texas, with the pillion (SWMBO) holding a map upside down and the rider squinting at an indecipherable GPS screen, you'll know who it is. Guess I'll just keep turning left when she says "right," until the software is figured out.

markgoodrich
Your tachometer indicator is off a smidge.

(That'll keep him busy for a while)

Thanks, I wiped the smidge off, it's correct now.

markgoodrich
If the bubbles not vibrating, the engine's not running. Uh, go ride, will ya?! wave.gif

Should I zip tie or epoxy the level?

If zip, what color?

beemer_me_up
lmao.gifJust finished reading my addtion of On the Level, a forum for the serious BMW rider,(BMWRA),and not one article of bubbles.

Mark,

It is virtually impossible to constantly correct for varfiation caused by tire wear.

The change in tread depth will vary from front tire to rear.

I suggest stopping every 100 miles, at the most, and resetting.

wave.gif

Eckhard Grohe

How dare you use a made in ?????? bubble. It must be a made in Germany bubble or at least a good old USA Starrett model 199 bubble. This 10 lb device has an accuracy of .00005" per foot and will require you install SuperFarkler model "EXTREME" support while leveling the device. Check out EBAY for the level and I have a second hand EXTREME at $499, shipping to Con US not included. The 349 page instruction manual is $50 extra and is licensed for one use only.

I don't mean to alarm you, and I only bring this up due to the extreme danger involved if it is gone unchecked, but there is an inconsistent illumination between your speedo and the tach. This serious problem has been known to cause riders to lean prematurely and should be corrected with the proper optical and light sensing gauges immediately! blush.gif

That beemer is a reject, needs to be returned right away.

With Valentine so high up he may take to air and just give lofty readings. And make sure to use super glue for the level, so you can keep the bike upright until you surrender it at the dealership.

Judging form the gauges you are just a few miles form destruction.

April 1st has its privileges.......... grin.gif

Not to be an alarmist, but I am somewhat of an expert in the science of "bubbles". Since your bubble is well within the tolerance of "non-automated bubble indicating devices", I would worry more about the storm bearing down on you.... The 376C shows you have but minutes to get to safety and you shouldn't waste time worried about a bubble.... tongue.giflmao.giflmao.gif oh, and check that brake failure, it might mean you need additional farkles.... LOLOL

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

The dash looks great by the way...

markgoodrich
Not to be an alarmist, but I am somewhat of an expert in the science of "bubbles". Since your bubble is well within the tolerance of "non-automated bubble indicating devices", I would worry more about the storm bearing down on you.... The 376C shows you have but minutes to get to safety and you shouldn't waste time worried about a bubble.... tongue.giflmao.giflmao.gif oh, and check that brake failure, it might mean you need additional farkles.... LOLOL

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

The dash looks great by the way...

I'll level with you about the GPS image, it's the 'simulator'. It's the only thing I've figured out to do with the thing. That same storm was with me all day today, 300-odd miles, east, west, north, south, made no difference. I don't see what good the GPS deal is; nothing ever changes on the screen. It looks good, which is important.

markgoodrich
Wait till he realizes its on the side stand? lmao.gif

No, no, I took that into account. I used sines and cosines.

How dare you use a made in ?????? bubble. It must be a made in Germany bubble or at least a good old USA Starrett model 199 bubble. This 10 lb device has an accuracy of .00005" per foot and will require you install SuperFarkler model "EXTREME" support while leveling the device. Check out EBAY for the level and I have a second hand EXTREME at $499, shipping to Con US not included. The 349 page instruction manual is $50 extra and is licensed for one use only.

I guess us BMW guys are Old Skool. Harley guys are using laser levels, have been for years.

markgoodrich

I guess us BMW guys are Old Skool. Harley guys are using laser levels, have been for years.

Okay, look, that torpedo level I used is made right here in the United States, so let's not be casting aspersions too quickly, please. And the laser level is a brilliant solution, especially since I found one made by BOSCH , which offers numerous functions, including "accurate to 0 +/- .005 degrees, and also functions as a protractor, although I'm thinking this level thing has pretty much run its course, and it may be time to move on, soon.

It's only $129.95, and best of all, the kit comes with its own farkles already added!! This is no joke, I'm on the level, here:

http://tinyurl.com/2tmodq

Archived