IGNORED

Blown Brake Line...

smiller

Have been noticing a very slight mushiness to the front brakes lately, so slight that I thought I was maybe just imagining it, but seeing brake fluid leaking out of one of the brake lines (the line from the ABS modulator to the front brake system) today kind of confirmed that it was real. Going to go with braided lines since they are both better and less expensive than stock (as usual.)

Looks like Galfer has a kit for the R1100RT (FK003D173), but the catalog description is kind of ambiguous. It implies that this a complete front/rear kit but doesn't state so explicitly... can anyone who has ordered this part confirm that this is the case? Also would appreciate any tips on finding a stocking (want to get it ASAP) distributor. Looks like Cycle Brakes might have 'em... anyone else..?

TIA,

Although you were asking about Galfer lines, recently my front brake line, from the master cylinder to the junction box at the big bend sprung a leak. I had the same symptoms that you described. I called Spiegler ordered the complete 5 line kit. The lines in general were OK with some modification necessary on the junction block on the front right fork. I had to remove some material in the block to allow it to fit into the mounting bracket. I found that when I called them they were helpful and got the products out the door the same day. Their website description was the product kit I received. Good luck you needed to bleed the brakes anyway. Web page tongue.gif

Thanks for the note Gary, looks like Spiegler is another good option. Price looks to be about the same as Galfer, but Spiegler has a lifetime warranty which seems like an attractive feature when you're dealing with brake lines.

Was the required mod on the mounting bracket pretty straightforward?

On a related note, I had trouble bleeding my brakes a few months ago. I wasn't getting any flow out of my R/F caliper. I also noticed that my front wheel was dragging but attributed that to slightly corroded brake pad hardware (the guide pin). Anyway, I didn't notice the root cause of the problem until my wife helped me with the bleeding (this is on a '99 RT, BTW). When the brake lever was pulled, I spotted a dime-sized bulge in the brake hose...yikes!

Upon removing the defective hose, quite a bit of black, gooey (technical term) debris came out of the caliper and hose, obvious evidence of deteriorating rubber. I have yet to replace the other hoses due to time constraints but I know that these things don't happen by fluke.

russell_bynum

We ordered the Glafer kit from CycleBrakes.com when Lisa's RS had the a brake hose failure (it was the upper hose from the master cylinder to the solid line going to the ABS.) It was indeed a complete system that replaced all of the rubber lines.

We ordered the Glafer kit from CycleBrakes.com when Lisa's RS had the a brake hose failure (it was the upper hose from the master cylinder to the solid line going to the ABS.) It was indeed a complete system that replaced all of the rubber lines.
Were you happy with the quality of the product and ease of installation (i.e. proper lengths, did everything fit properly, etc.)?
russell_bynum
Were you happy with the quality of the product and ease of installation (i.e. proper lengths, did everything fit properly, etc.)?

The hose that goes from the solid lines that come from the ABS to the distribution block on the fork bridge wasn't bent enough, so it wouldn't clear the distribution block. I called Cyclebrakes, and they had a replacement hose on the way that day at no cost.

Other than that, everything fit perfectly and installation was easy.

The junction block on the right fork was about 1/16” too wide. It didn’t fit in the support bracket. There was a lot of extra material on the aluminum block so it was an easy fix. I ground and sanded to the correct size, then polished it so all sides look the same. If you go with any complete kit, offer up the block first to check for fit.

Well, I went with Spiegler since they said that they would make up a kit and overnight it to me today so we'll see whether they have attended to this detail or not. If not, Dremel time I guess...

Got 'em installed. Big improvement over the stock lines. Not so much in maximum braking force (I didn't expect that to change) but much more linear and predictable under heavy braking, and less lever force required to achieve it. A very worthwhile $220 (and an afternoon) upgrade.

Archived