IGNORED

Bend in rim...

E30TECH

I got the new tires mounted and balanced. I was rotating the front rim and noticed a very slight bend. it is bent slightly outward right on on the bead area. It would almost seem like I bent it in the HF tire changer, but I did not put that much pressure on the rim AND that was not the side I had in the jaws.

The tire is holding air. The area that is bent is about 1" long. At the worst part of the bend, it might come out about 1/8". It is more of a gradual bend.

There is no cracked metal or paint - no other damage at all. The only way I noticed it was from spinning it and seeing the slight wobble.

Should I get this fixed, replace, or leave it?

George Brown

I've had a very noticeable debt in my front rim since July '01 when I hit a turtle size rock in Oregon. Tire doesn't leak and I can still balance the wheel so it's still there. I've had several new tires on this rim since I bent it.

Jerry Johnston

Lay a piece of wood over it and wack it with a hammer - you won't even see it afterward. The board will not only protect the finish but help keep you from hitting so hard you bend it inward. Be sure and let the air out of the tire first. I did this to my own and it still looks fine after about six years.

I've had a very noticeable debt in my front rim since July '01 when I hit a turtle size rock in Oregon.

So you hit a rock and the rim had to pay for it? That doesn't seem fair. Weird. tongue.gif

Lineareagle
I've had a very noticeable debt in my front rim since July '01 when I hit a turtle size rock in Oregon.

Thats a little ambiguous, George, could you be more specific as to exactly what species of turtle we are talking about here? disambiguation is a key here in understanding the scenario you are presenting.

Thanks.

grin.gifTurtles

I had a bend in the rear wheel -- out about 3/16" in 3". It never leaked, so I rode on it for two or three years. It did bother me though, and I recently straightened it with a shop press and some encouragement from a forum member. I can't even tell where it was now! clap.gif

A 'Dead Blow' hammer also works well. Rubber hammer with lead shot inside that increases the impact to much more than can be achieved with a regular hammer. I used a 3 pound dead blow to take a very noticeable 3" long pothole induced bend out of my RT wheel with amazing results. These rims are quite soft. As mentioned earlier, be careful not to bend it too far the oppisite direction.

"I recently straightened it with a shop press "

I was considering bringing it to work and trying the 20 ton hydraulic press, then I figured just the arbor press would work.

I have a small mallet with a lead face and a plastic face. I smacked the rim a few times with the plastic side and it didn't work. So before I got more worked up over it, I left it.

I think I will try the edge of a 2x4 (as Jerry Johnston suggested) and smack it with a small sledge. I dont have any other mallet to use....but maybe my father in law has one...I'll check.

I suppose I want to put the rim on on 2 blocks of wood (I have 2 4x4 pieces), with one of the blocks below the impact spot. I was afraid that I'd F the rim up more.

This bothered me all day yesterday as I have spent $265 on tire changing equipment only to find I may have bent the rim myself.

I'll post the results later.

I doubt that you bent it in the changer, more likely you struck a pothole or something and just didn't notice it until your tire change effort afforded a close inspection. If it's just a small bend I'd just ignore it, I'd bet that most BMW front rims eventually collect a small ding or two over time.

I doubt that you bent it in the changer, more likely you struck a pothole or something and just didn't notice it until your tire change effort afforded a close inspection. If it's just a small bend I'd just ignore it, I'd bet that most BMW front rims eventually collect a small ding or two over time.

I was going to reply and say "I never hit a pothole", but I recall hitting one and damn near losing some dental work.

There is no damage in the paint though...Very strange.

I'll try to bang it back as the wheel is still sitting on the balance anyway.

What I was OCDing over yesterday was - how could I have bent the rim if I didn't tighten the rim clamp that much (and again, I don't think I had that side in the clamps).

Then the OCD would shift to tire failure at highway speed.

The good news is I got most of the bend out of the rim, the bad news is I slipped with the hammer and bent the sh!t out of the rotor.

I took it out for a short ride and can already tell a difference. Much smoother ride now.

I was just kidding about the rotor, but it is my luck.

Jerry Johnston

Good for you Perry, I hit mine with a 3# sledge to straighten it. Since I protected it with a 1x4 board it didn't even show.

Archived