IGNORED

Should I change the oil....?

Modie

I have had by 1200RT for almost a year (10 months). I have about 2500 miles. I got my 600 miles service within a few weeks of bringing it home but I obviously have not been riding enough. Should I change my oil before I get to my 6K service? Or am I okay waiting till then. Which may be another year???

Well oil is a bit like religion, everyone has their beliefs, and few people are going to be dissuaded by the views of others.

But for my .02, I'd vote no.

Like a religion indeed. I would change yearly if the miles weren't covered for a scheduled change. There are parallels to this thinking like the gearbox. It requires changing every 24000 miles or two years according to factory schedules.

Your choice,there is no factory annual engine oil change requirement I know of, but their cars call for annual oil changes if the miles are not covered in that time for a regular change. The BMW Auto included service does cover yearly changes for the owner.

Stan Walker

Well oil is a bit like religion, everyone has their beliefs, and few people are going to be dissuaded by the views of others.

But for my .02, I'd vote no.

I have the opposite belief. My two 650's get changed every year, even if I don't ride them more than a couple hundred miles. Brake fluids too. Actually I pretty much do a full 6000 mile service just to be safe.

But like you point out, it's based on faith, no evidence that it will prevent any problems or make the bike last longer.

Stan

Personally I would change it. Its not hard (even I can do it!), its relatively cheap and changing the oil won't hurt anything while leaving it too long might.

I have had by 1200RT for almost a year (10 months). I have about 2500 miles. I got my 600 miles service within a few weeks of bringing it home but I obviously have not been riding enough. Should I change my oil before I get to my 6K service? Or am I okay waiting till then. Which may be another year???

I would change the oil/filter at least once a year regardless of the mileage, and I'm one of those guys who does it by the book, and not any earlier, like many people. That said, I have no scientific basis for saying this; it just feels right. smile.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Your oil gets contaminated over time, and guessing from the minimal milage you put on, and by short trips. Some of those contaminants are byproducts of combustion and tend to form acids in the crankcase which will etch bearings. Some of it is also condensation from not getting the oil up to full temperature. Actually, the oil doesn't cause the condensation, cool air in the crankcase does that, but, if your don't get the temperature of the oil up very high, it won't evaporate. Water, and particularly acidic water, will cause rust.

Change it once a year, even if the milage doesn't indicate a change. Your bike will thank you.

Your oil gets contaminated over time, and guessing from the minimal milage you put on, and by short trips. Some of those contaminants are byproducts of combustion and tend to form acids in the crankcase which will etch bearings. Some of it is also condensation from not getting the oil up to full temperature. Actually, the oil doesn't cause the condensation, cool air in the crankcase does that, but, if your don't get the temperature of the oil up very high, it won't evaporate. Water, and particularly acidic water, will cause rust.

Change it once a year, even if the milage doesn't indicate a change. Your bike will thank you.

ShovelStrokeEd is right. It's not a case of the oil itself that's bad, it's the contaminants that are bad just sitting around in the crankcase.

Archived