IGNORED

Just got done replacing the head gaskets, but its leaking like crazy

cali_beemer

cali_beemer

Well, just replaced both head gaskets and used new gaskets. I cleaned the surfaces on both sides and torqued to spec. Its now leaking at the bottom on both sides. Any ideas?

Stan Walker

Are you talking head gaskets or valve cover gaskets?

In this case it could be either, he did have the heads off.

More information will be needed if we are to provide any help.

Stan

Ryan, your bio says you are in Folsom. I am in Folsom too, and just did the head gasket on my 96 last weekend, so if you'd like, I can stop by and have a look?

I tightened all head bolts (4) to the initial 20 Nm torque then 90 degrees each and then another 90 degrees (180 total) in a cross pattern. There is a fifth M10 that gets torqued to 40 Nm as well as several M6s that get 9 Nm.

There was a change to the gaskets after 8/97. I assume you were the older leakier gaskets. Did you replace them with the "up to 8/97" parts?

11 12 1342 869 (left side) ?

If they are leaking at the head gasket, I think you have to replace them again, or maybe you just left the round spark plug hole gasket out on both sides and it's a simple fix!

Feel free to PM or email!

cali_beemer

Yes, I was changing the head gaskets. I did the torque to 15 ft-lbs on the nead nuts and turned 90 degrees twice like the torque sheet calls. The M10 bolt I did after that to the 40NM. I then did the 3 smaller allens to the 80 inch lbs. I am using the new gasket, same part number RGL said. I went and checked the packaging. The gasket is the same for both sides, correct? I was sold 2 identical gaskets and it didnt look like there was any importance on the direction the gasket went on. The pattern of the gasket matched. There is no oil leaking from the valave covers. The oil is leaking from the bottom og the head gasket on both sides right by the 2 smaller allen bolts. I have tried tightening and loosening those but no success. I did put the spark plug gasket in on both sides but even if it werent, I dont see how it would cause a leak at the bottom of the head gasket. I have been thinking about this last night and I am just going to take the bike in to the local beemer shop. I have had too many things go wrong on this project, I am running out of time. I really just want to ride. When I started the project, I had more time to wrench and the weather wasnt completely settled. Right now its 70 degrees and sunny, but I cant ride. If this were the winter time, I would take more time to figure this out. I did this on my own because I wanted to prove that I could and also tried to save a few bucks. So far I am out the cost of new tools, gaskets, I had EDM work done to get a valve cover bolt I broke out. That didnt work so I just bought a complete new head for 300 bucks. I am now out over 600 bucks and it leaks oil worse than when I started. I am too frustrated to continue this. I can say now that I did it, just not correct appearantly. I did learn alot more about how my bike works and I am happy for that knowledge but right now my only imprtance is getting back to riding. I appreciate everyones help her not only on this topic but the others I have posted on. Thank you. Now I think its time to surrender the bike to the pro's. I will have to stick to designing mechanical systems and not working on them. Ther is no mechanic in mechanical engineer.

The offer to help still stands, it would be nice to know why it is leaking before you take it in!

You don't say how much it is leaking?

Steve_Witmer

Did you replace the bolts? I don't know if it's true for the RT, but for many motors the head bolts are intended to be torqued enough to stretch and the torque needed to stress the bolts in that way is calculated in the torque figure given -- such bolts should not be re-used. In such motors, re-using the bolts can result in incorrect pressure holding the head on because the bolts have already had the designed strain taken out of them once.

Someone on the board should know whether these bolts are re-usable. If not, that might be your problem.

Don_Eilenberger
Did you replace the bolts? I don't know if it's true for the RT, but for many motors the head bolts are intended to be torqued enough to stretch and the torque needed to stress the bolts in that way is calculated in the torque figure given -- such bolts should not be re-used. In such motors, re-using the bolts can result in incorrect pressure holding the head on because the bolts have already had the designed strain taken out of them once.

Someone on the board should know whether these bolts are re-usable. If not, that might be your problem.

They're reusable.. in fact at the 600 mile service - they're all supposed to be loosened and re-torqued.

Archived