IGNORED

Brake warning '02 R1150RT

alistair

Gidday

I have a 2002 R1150RT and during a ride yesterday the brake failure light started flashing!

Brake fluid is ok, if I stop and then ride again it doesn't flash for about 10km, then goes on again.

Has anyone experienced this and should I be worried?

Brakes still work.

Any help appreciated

Regards

Al

Stan Walker

There are two lights. Different flash rates and patterns mean different things. See your manual or check the tag under the seat. Or give a better description here.

Brake fluid is ok

There are four brake fluid reservoirs, two within the ABS/Servo unit, did you check them all?

Stan

Have a look at the brake light Bulb, it is connected directly to the ABS system, if it blows you'll get a warning .

Either tail light or stop light failure will cause a steady lower light. Which lamp is flashing and how fast? Your riders manual has a troubleshooting list for ABS lights (Page 71 in mine)

Andy

Thanks for the advice guys!

I checked the globes, all normal.

I have checked fluid levels at handlebar and also RHS, is there another resivour?

The bottom warning light stays on while the top (brake failure) flashes rapidly.

I do not have an owners manual, only a repair manual, so I cannot figure out what the flashing is warning about.

Thanks for all the help and if anyone has any more suggestion, much appreciated!

Regards

Al

Stan Walker

Thanks for the advice guys!

I would like to politely suggest that you should re-read my earlier post where I mention that there are four (4) brake fluid reservoirs on your bike. I also mention that there is a list of what the flashing lights mean glued to the top of the rear fender under your seat.

Stan

Thanks for the reply Stan.

Could you please tell me where the 4 brake fluid reservoirs are located?

There is no list of what the flashing lights mean glued to the top of the rear fender under my seat, I am the 3rd owner of the bike.

Originally it was a police bike, previous owner converted to double seat.

Thanks again and apologies for being a "pain"!!

Al

Stan Walker

Could you please tell me where the 4 brake fluid reservoirs are located?

Front control circuit reservoir is on the right handlebar by the brake lever.

Rear control circuit reservoir is on the right hand side near the rear wheel.

Front wheel circuit reservoir is inside the ABS/Servo control unit (under the gas tank)

Rear wheel circuit reservoir is also inside the ABS/Servo control unit.

Thanks again and apologies for being a "pain"!!

Not a pain, I was just being my normal snitty self after a bad day at the rock quarry (work place).

The flashing pattern that you have is serious. It indicates that at least one of your servo assisted brake systems is not operational. I would suggest seeing a dealer who can download error codes from the unit and maybe tell what is wrong.

How long have you owned the bike? Do you know when the brake fluids were last replaced (flushed)? This is considered to be an annual maintenance item on your year bike.

How long have you owned the bike? Do you know when the brake fluids were last replaced (flushed)? This is considered to be an annual maintenance item on your year bike.

Take what he said to heart. I did not do this, and the VERY expensive brake module under the tank had to be replaced. I was lucky, it was under waranty. If you are unsure of it's last bleed, I would do it right away. If it just started to alarm, and you find out it is due to contaminated brake fluid, I think a complete bleed would clear the problem without replacement of the module. But I would do the brake bleed ASAP if it were me. Good luck

Gidday

I have a 2002 R1150RT and during a ride yesterday the brake failure light started flashing!

Brake fluid is ok, if I stop and then ride again it doesn't flash for about 10km, then goes on again.

Has anyone experienced this and should I be worried?

Brakes still work.

Any help appreciated

Regards

Al

I had the same issue the other day. I had just purchased a used 03 r1150rt. Mine was solved by putting my battery on an overnight charge using a trickle charger.

I haven't had this issue again.

not so far.. clap.gif

Archived