IGNORED

BMW Manifesto

BiggerTwin

We recently had a thread on the Harley Creed and video on their web site. I just got an e-mail from BMW's XPLOR site with the BMW Manifesto. It goes like this:

Every motorcyclist loves to ride.

But some love to ride on a whole other level.

These riders want more than making noise or doing pub crawls.

They want more than just going fast and looking cool.

They want to challenge themselves and be the best rider they can be.

So they ride bikes that allow them to do what others can’t.

They ride in the rain, wind, fog and even snow.

They rejoice at the sight of gravel roads while others turn back.

They push themselves to the limits of their machines and themselves, and they reach places others only dream about.

On this road of challenge there are many whose passion fuels their quest.

And for them there is a new waypoint on their journey to master their machines and themselves.

That place is XPLOR.

Alan

Lone_RT_rider

You know, I love my BMW (Especially my R1100RT) just as much as anyone else around here but I don't buy that statement anymore. 10 even 15 years ago I might have agreed with that statement whole heartedly. I really believe that in just about every category there is another motorcycle manufacturer that has a bike that does the job just as well, and at a lessor cost.

After being on BMW's for the past 8 years and having 3 of them in the stable, I am hard pressed to really think that my next purchase will be from the Bavarian motorcycle maker.

Shawn

Les is more

These "Credos" just crack me up!

I get two pictures. I see, either the big oval table of advertising agents (one or two of whom may even ride) bouncing these ideas around, or some beleaguered, bespectacled, weasley Arnold Stang type, buried in a cubicle, living out his fantasies through words. They come up with this P*&$ing contest of imagery in the hope that enough people will buy into it to make a significant blip in sales figures. Of course, when we read it, we should see a shaft of golden light and hear heavenly music and the rush of angels wings as the clouds are rent by the awesome power of our creed. We then ride off, fortified by the conviction that no other marque or rider has ever been so worthy. We can then stand with fists on hips, our blue, black and white capes undulating in the wind, and throw our heads back with prideful laughter at the pitiful delusions of those other so-called riders and their inferior motorcycles.

dopeslap.giflmao.gifdopeslap.gif

Well, I for one am facing east, toward the faoming waters of the Atlantic with my hand on my heart and a tear in my eye. I have found my density. lmao.giflmao.gifdopeslap.gifcrazy.gif

Of course, when we read it, we should see a shaft of golden light and hear heavenly music and the rush of angels wings as the clouds are rent by the awesome power of our creed. dopeslap.giflmao.gifdopeslap.gif

That is how we feel when we read Mama Hoon's posts! clap.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Aren't Buell's made by descendants of German immigrants?

grin.gif

I know Harley's are. lmao.gif

lurker.gif

Trying to bait Knappy into posting are we? crazy.gif

Shawn

Joe Frickin' Friday
...we should see a shaft of golden light and hear heavenly music and the rush of angels wings as the clouds are rent by the awesome power of our creed. We then ride off, fortified by the conviction that no other marque or rider has ever been so worthy. We can then stand with fists on hips, our blue, black and white capes undulating in the wind, and throw our heads back with prideful laughter at the pitiful delusions of those other so-called riders and their inferior motorcycles.

Maybe this should be our manifesto.

OK You asked for it. I wasn't going to bring this up again but now feel compelled to do so.

The Brotherhood of the Road by Shalom Auslander

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community? a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan.

Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them.

They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys? I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way.

Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? Like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?"

Now as to seeing a shaft of light...........

wave.gif

russell_bynum

You know, I love my BMW (Especially my R1100RT) just as much as anyone else around here but I don't buy that statement anymore. 10 even 15 years ago I might have agreed with that statement whole heartedly. I really believe that in just about every category there is another motorcycle manufacturer that has a bike that does the job just as well, and at a lessor cost.

After being on BMW's for the past 8 years and having 3 of them in the stable, I am hard pressed to really think that my next purchase will be from the Bavarian motorcycle maker.

Shawn

I like BMW a bunch. We've had 3 of their bikes (still have one, and I really really enjoy riding it) and currently have 2 of their cars.

I do think there's some stuff that BMW does better than anyone else. Some of that is intangible stuff that's hard to put to words...but it is like Ducati vs. Honda. On paper, there's nothing Ducati can do that can touch Honda. But you won't see me standing in the Honda showroom with a puddle of drool around me.

But even if I thought BMW were the end-all-be-all (which I don't), I still don't see the need for a "List of reasons why I'm better than you."

On paper, there's nothing Ducati can do that can touch Honda. But you won't see me standing in the Honda showroom with a puddle of drool around me.
I think that's well put (well, except maybe for the imagery grin.gif)

BMW needs to start looking at the fundamentals of the business instead of coming up with marketing slogans. The might start by releasing motorcycles to market that aren't beta-test versions.

grin.gif

lurker.gif

erm, Mr William Harley was the son of another William Harley who came from Littleport in Cambridgeshire. Arthur Davidson was a Scot.

The UK Harley Memorial story

Andy

Lone_RT_rider
.... Mr William Harley was the son of another William Harley who came from Littleport in Cambridgeshire. Arthur Davidson was a Scot.

No wonder my Great Grandfather (from Sheffield) got along with those two....

Shawn

grin.gif

lurker.gif

erm, Mr William Harley was the son of another William Harley who came from Littleport in Cambridgeshire. Arthur Davidson was a Scot.

The UK Harley Memorial story

Andy

Andy I hope you're not trying to turn this into another Harley bashing thread. lmao.giflmao.gifdopeslap.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)
We recently had a thread on the Harley Creed and video on their web site. I just got an e-mail from BMW's XPLOR site with the BMW Manifesto. It goes like this:

Every motorcyclist loves to ride.

But some love to ride on a whole other level.

These riders want more than making noise or doing pub crawls.

They want more than just going fast and looking cool.

They want to challenge themselves and be the best rider they can be.

They ride in the rain, wind, fog and even snow.

They rejoice at the sight of gravel roads while others turn back.

They push themselves to the limits of their machines and themselves, and they reach places others only dream about.

On this road of challenge there are many whose passion fuels their quest.

And for them there is a new waypoint on their journey to master their machines and themselves.

That place is XPLOR.

Alan

Yawn...

Or maybe they just found a great deal and use it to commute.

DaveTheAffable
...we should see a shaft of golden light and hear heavenly music and the rush of angels wings as the clouds are rent by the awesome power of our creed. We then ride off, fortified by the conviction that no other marque or rider has ever been so worthy. We can then stand with fists on hips, our blue, black and white capes undulating in the wind, and throw our heads back with prideful laughter at the pitiful delusions of those other so-called riders and their inferior motorcycles.

I think that shaft is either the thing that we get lubed on a 12k mile service,

...or the thing we get when the marketers dream up this lofty crap so we pay more for the bike. thumbsup.gif

bakerzdosen
We can then stand with fists on hips, our blue, black and white capes undulating in the wind, and throw our heads back with prideful laughter..
Two things:

1) Where are you guys getting these blue, black and white capes? I can't seem to find one anywhere. Also, what length are people getting?

2) Have you folks ever really tried to throw your head back and laugh? Not the most natural thing to do, and yet you always see it written. Try it. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

(Kinda scary how good she is at painting mental pictures isn't it?)

Couchrocket
we should see a shaft of golden light
Yeah, that golden light is reflected off the "shaft" from the rust on the stripped splines, where BMW should have put some moly when they built the damn thing! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif
Of course, when we read it, we should see a shaft of golden light and hear heavenly music and the rush of angels wings as the clouds are rent by the awesome power of our creed. We then ride off, fortified by the conviction that no other marque or rider has ever been so worthy. We can then stand with fists on hips, our blue, black and white capes undulating in the wind, and throw our heads back with prideful laughter at the pitiful delusions of those other so-called riders and their inferior motorcycles.

So glad I'm not the only one who sees the shaft of golden light and and hears the heavenly music. For a minute there I thought I'd need to up my medication but if you're experiencing that too then I must be ok thumbsup.gif

grin.gif

lurker.gif

Trying to bait Knappy into posting are we? crazy.gif

Seems I'm not good enough, not wanting to be all I can be...

They rejoice at the sight of gravel roads while others turn back

That's Jake and Peanut in a nutshell right there, I swear it. smile.gif

Seems I'm not good enough, not wanting to be all I can be...

I'm disappointed in you Steve. I thought you traded up to the Uly just so you could be all that you could be?

You're still my hero! smirk.gif

Jim VonBaden

I get two pictures. I see, either the big oval table of advertising agents (one or two of whom may even ride) bouncing these ideas around, or some beleaguered, bespectacled, weasley Arnold Stang type, buried in a cubicle, living out his fantasies through words. They come up with this P*&$ing contest of imagery in the hope that enough people will buy into it to make a significant blip in sales figures. Of course, when we read it, we should see a shaft of golden light and hear heavenly music and the rush of angels wings as the clouds are rent by the awesome power of our creed. We then ride off, fortified by the conviction that no other marque or rider has ever been so worthy. We can then stand with fists on hips, our blue, black and white capes undulating in the wind, and throw our heads back with prideful laughter at the pitiful delusions of those other so-called riders and their inferior motorcycles.

So, let me ask a question?

Can anyone come up with a time when some similar post was made of say, Honda, or Ducati, or anything else, where everyone didn't jump on the anti-(pick one) bandwagon and slam the poster for an amusing post that has no relevance other than to bring out the insecurity of so many? dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

IOW Would the reaction be the same if you substituted Honda for BMW? I doubt it. smirk.gif

DaveTheAffable

Can anyone come up with a time when some similar post was made of say, Honda, or Ducati, or anything else, where everyone didn't jump on the anti-(pick one) bandwagon and slam the poster for an amusing post that has no relevance other than to bring out the insecurity of so many? dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

IOW Would the reaction be the same if you substituted Honda for BMW? I doubt it. smirk.gif

Whoaa...I thought we were making fun of BMW!, and their marketing folks. The earlier quote is talking about THEIR imagery. The first post said, "I just got an e-mail from BMW's XPLOR site"

Then... maybe a little fun about ourselves.

I certainly wasn't slamming the poster. frown.gif

I get two pictures. ... We can then stand with fists on hips, our blue, black and white capes undulating in the wind, and throw our heads back with prideful laughter at the pitiful delusions of those other so-called riders and their inferior motorcycles.

Would you settle for a red cape? grin.giffleisher.jpg

Jim cool.gif

Hey Jim,

Read my post. Makes a lot of fun of everyone, including BMW.

Seems like most of those who responded were making fun of BMW since it was a BMW Manifesto.

Not many folks here willing to support any manifesto unless there are "shafts of golden light" involved. grin.gif

And I didn't see any insecurity, just a bunch of hoons having a good laugh.

YMMV

10 even 15 years ago I might have agreed with that statement whole heartedly.

+1. That's why I ride a '75 BMW grin.gif

My next bike will either be from another manufacturer or another older airhead.

The way I look at it is that BMW motorcycles do everything well. I've been down the Honda, Suzuki etc. road untill I rode a friends BMW. Try putting a thousand miles a day on a crotch rocket without your shoulders falling off. Try going down the Blue Ridge balls to the wall on a Gold Wing without having your arms fall off. You can do all that on a BMW with a grin from ear to ear. I don't knock any motorcycle because it's what you want and like in a motorcycle. I want the best in all aspects of riding that's why I ride a BMW even with the new technology glitches they have. I wave to all motorcycles IF they wave first, saves my arm from getting tired. lmao.gif

russell_bynum
The way I look at it is that BMW motorcycles do everything well. I've been down the Honda, Suzuki etc. road untill I rode a friends BMW. Try putting a thousand miles a day on a crotch rocket without your shoulders falling off. Try going down the Blue Ridge balls to the wall on a Gold Wing without having your arms fall off. You can do all that on a BMW with a grin from ear to ear. I don't knock any motorcycle because it's what you want and like in a motorcycle. I want the best in all aspects of riding that's why I ride a BMW even with the new technology glitches they have. I wave to all motorcycles IF they wave first, saves my arm from getting tired. lmao.gif

OK, but instead of a "Crotch rocket" (which are not intended to be ridden on the road) and a GoldWing, try an FJR, ST1300, Concours, etc.

Don't compare apples to Oranges. That's like saying Honda is better because one time you tried to ride a Road Star, a Vulcan, a 999, a K1200LT, and a GSX-R1000 on a motocross track and none of them could keep up with a CRF. eek.gif

OK, but instead of a "Crotch rocket" (which are not intended to be ridden on the road) and a GoldWing, try an FJR, ST1300, Concours, etc.

Don't compare apples to Oranges. That's like saying Honda is better because one time you tried to ride a Road Star, a Vulcan, a 999, a K1200LT, and a GSX-R1000 on a motocross track and none of them could keep up with a CRF. eek.gif

I don't think you read what I wrote. You read between the lines. First, I said the way "I" look at it which means "me" not eveyone. Second, "I" think BMW fits "my styles" of riding the best, not knocking any other motorcycle as I stated earlier. This is all just my opinion which I thought we all had. It makes no matter to me if someone rides a moped coast to coast and wouldn't think any less of them. It's whatever floats your boat. Sorry if I pissed anyone off.

russell_bynum

I don't think you read what I wrote. You read between the lines.

No...I read what you wrote.

You said: "Try putting a thousand miles a day on a crotch rocket without your shoulders falling off."

Then you said, "Try going down the Blue Ridge balls to the wall on a Gold Wing without having your arms fall off."

I just pointed out that comparing a crotch rocket to your R1200RT for doing a 1,000 mile day is silly. ST1300/FJR/etc is a much more legitimate comparison.

As for running "balls to the wall" on the BRP...I can say without any doubt that a Wing would neither hold me back, nor wear me out on a sporty ride on the BRP. But...again you're comparing apples to oranges. For the comparison to be valid, you need to compare other bikes in the same class as your RT.

No.... You didn,t read what I wroke, or I didn't explain it right.

First sentance, "The way I look at it is that BMW motorcycles do everything well". I wasn't comparing apples to oranges, I didn't try to compare apples to oranges. For me I can't tour on a GSXR, kills my shoulders, RT doesn,t. A Wing, one of the best touring bikes can't go through the twisties as good as the RT however they are impressive nor can the RT do it as well as the GSXR but it does it very well. The RT is not as fast as the GSXR but is impressive. The RT is not as cushy as the Wing, but does tour very well. That's all I intended to say, the R12RT does eveything well in one motorcycle. There could be 20 more motorcycles out there that can do that also, I don't know. For me I like BMW and the R12RT fits my bill.

i thought someone had just submitted something several weeks, well within the last 4 months about what our creed should be... can't find the link right now... but i thought it was okay...

anyone?

quote]We've gone far too long without a creed. Harley's™ got its own creed , the centerpiece of one of its highly successful marketing campaigns. It's really inspirational, starting with the words "We believe in going our own way," then building to the point where hundreds of H-D™ riders are shown going their "own way" in tight formation™, identically clothed in H-D™ black clothing, and chanting The Creed™ in unison. lmao.gif

In checking out creeds, I see that Harley-Davidson's™ was a takeoff on the Nicene Creed, the statement of Christian faith adopted by the First Council of Nicaea in 325 A.D. Yet, while the Christians have had their Creed for almost 1700 years and Harley-Davidson™ riders have had their Creed™ produced in 16:9 widescreen format with Dolby 5.1™ Surround Sound, we poor BMW riders have had to make do without a Creed for quite some time. May I propose:

We Believe . . . in BMW, the world's foremost purveyor of horizontally-opposed twin-cylinder engines;

We Believe . . . in The Right Cylinder, The Left Cylinder, and The Shaft, the primary components that distinguish our Faith;

We Believe . . . in Kevlar and Cordura, flip-front helmets, and exhaust notes as subtle as a farting nun;

We Believe . . . that exceeding Man's Posted Speed Limit is a right bestowed upon us by The Almighty;

We Believe . . . in coming together, in campgrounds and in discount hotels, and in the Righteousness of Eating Smoked Meat with Tasty Potato Salad;

We Believe . . . that we've got it right and everyone else has it wrong. But, YMMV. thumbsup.gif

Amen.

There could be 20 more motorcycles out there that can do that also, I don't know. For me I like BMW and the R12RT fits my bill.

Look up "Brand Loyalty" in the dictionary, you'll find statements like that. Nothing wrong with it by the way.

But Russell's point, as I see it, is that he's comparing the RT more with the ST1300 and the FJR. You could expand that even further with some bikes that are a little more country, or a little more rock and roll. ST4, VFR, the new Triumph Tiger...whatever strikes your fancy.

But the point is this class of bikes is not BMW's and BMW's alone anymore. The way I look at it is that quite a few motorcycles do everything well.

I agree 100% with you Steve. That's why I said in my first post "I don't knock any motorcycle because it's what you want and like in a motorcycle". Guess I should have written a longer post instead of trying to make it short. Didn't explain it correctly I guess. I'd love to own 4 or 5 different motorcycles but I can't. The R12RT for me is the best compromise. I ride with many different motorcycles and they grin ear to ear as I do and I think thats great. Best feeling you can have.

Archived