IGNORED

Quick question on balancing tires (how much weight is too much)

E30TECH

I'm balancing my rear tire right now and had to put 28g on each side of the rim (basically 56g) to balance it. I'm wondering how much weight is too much, and if I should break the bead and rotate the tire on the rim.

I am using Marc Parnes balance, Avon Storms, rim has been cleaned, valve cap and stem is in.

Thanks,

Perry

Some might say that balanced is balanced but I'd go ahead and try rotating the tire. Did you pay attention to the heavy spot marked and line it up appropriately?

I checked the heavy spot on the rim (which was slightly off from the valve stem). The tires did not have markers for heavy/light spots.

The tires did not have markers for heavy/light spots.

They should. Can you see one or two little dots on one of the sides? (either red, white, or maybe yellow)

Avon tires do not have balance marks.

One thing that might help is to balance the wheel (without the tire) and leave those weights on the wheel permanently, then add separate weights for each tire (if necessary) when you mount them. This seems to work pretty well for me.

Does 2oz seem like too much weight?
Hard to say from a few thousand miles away, but that would certainly be on the high side. One thing you might be doing is trying to get the balance perfect, which can drive you nuts (especially with something as sensitive as the Parnes balancer) and lead to using too many weights. When doing the balance procedure just get rid of any major motion and leave it at that, trying for perfection is unnecessary and maybe even detrimental.
Joe Frickin' Friday
I'm balancing my rear tire right now and had to put 28g on each side of the rim (basically 56g) to balance it. I'm wondering how much weight is too much, and if I should break the bead and rotate the tire on the rim.

Have encountered this before, and yes, breaking the bead and rotating the tire half a turn helped a lot. Give it a shot.

I'll give it a shot today.

Let me ask this as well....What is the MAX pressure you want to use when setting the bead?

Let me ask this as well....What is the MAX pressure you want to use when setting the bead?

Are you talking about hose pressure or actual pressure in the tire when trying to get the bead to pop?

For what it's worth I have my hose poressure set at about 60 and I'm pretty sure that my tire pressure has never gone above 40 (probably far less) when setting the bead. I can't fully testify to the 40 pounds however since at that point I have the valve out of the stem and I don't get an accurate read when inflating.

ShovelStrokeEd

If the bead is properly lubed, it really shouldn't take more than 40 or 50 PSI to get it to seat. I keep my line pressure at 120 PSI and don't have the valve in the stem when inflating to seat a bead. You want fast flow and a rapid rise in pressure to "pop" the bead into place.

Joe Frickin' Friday
If the bead is properly lubed, it really shouldn't take more than 40 or 50 PSI to get it to seat. I keep my line pressure at 120 PSI and don't have the valve in the stem when inflating to seat a bead. You want fast flow and a rapid rise in pressure to "pop" the bead into place.

I've never had to do this. Valve core in place, well-lubed bead, the bead typically seats at 30-35 psi, no problemo.

I'm talking tire pressure. I have the line set at 110-120 psi.

I had to keep the needle in since my clip on chuck wont work without the needle.

I guess I'll break the bead and rotate that tire 180 degrees. I'm not going that crazy with the balance. There is still some *very* slight movement with the weights.

Is it a good idea to check the balance before setting the bead, or will this not work?

Joe Frickin' Friday
I'm talking tire pressure. I have the line set at 110-120 psi.

I had to keep the needle in since my clip on chuck wont work without the needle.

I guess I'll break the bead and rotate that tire 180 degrees. I'm not going that crazy with the balance. There is still some *very* slight movement with the weights.

Is it a good idea to check the balance before setting the bead, or will this not work?

I can't imagine before/after seating the bead would make a humungous difference, but it might change it by 1 7-gram weight or something as you change the radial location of the unseated portion of the tire.

I would think that in order to get an accurate balance, the bead must be seated.

Make sure the balancing cones are wedged in the rim tight as any play will really mess with your head.

DAMHIK dopeslap.gif

Made sure the balance cones were tight.

I removed the weights, broke the bead, and rotated the tire. I had to rotate it several times to get it *right*.

I'm using a 1/4 oz now smirk.gif

Time for the front...

lawnchairboy

another helpful thread, the last two conti attack fronts I have put on have not have a heavy spot marked...and I had to use beaucoup weight to get it balanced both times...

Some might say that balanced is balanced but I'd go ahead and try rotating the tire. Did you pay attention to the heavy spot marked and line it up appropriately?

The spot marked on a tire is the LIGHT spot, which is why it is recommended to place it next to the valve.

did you try rotating the tire on the rim? It took several rotations, but I did get it.

I checked the balance each time before setting the bead to get it close. That is the way I will be doing it from now on (rough checking before setting the bead)

By balancing the rim separately in advance I've never had to add much weight once the tire was installed. I guess it could happen someday but it hasn't yet.

In any event, I'm not sure what the sin of using some extra weight might be... seems a whole lot easier to me to mount the thing and be done with it (using whatever balance weight is necessary) vs. the process of pulling the tire off of the stand, installing in the balancing fixture, and jacking around with the tire... perhaps several times. This seems to be the most labor-intensive method of all the options, and I'm not sure to what benefit?

Archived