IGNORED

24K service

John in NC

24k Service is upcoming. I do it all myself. I'm thinking of skipping the fuel filter change until 36K. Any comments?

Blue Beemer Dude

If you've got the gas tank off to do the brakes anyway, why not go ahead and do it?

It's an expensive bike - why be cheap on maintenance? Think of all the money you're saving by doing it yourself, and use some of the savings toward a new filter.

Michael

Joe Frickin' Friday
If you've got the gas tank off to do the brakes anyway, why not go ahead and do it?

It's an expensive bike - why be cheap on maintenance? Think of all the money you're saving by doing it yourself, and use some of the savings toward a new filter.

Michael

You don't save much money by not changing the filter, but it definitely is a PITA. The offficial filter maintenance schedule seems like overkill; based on what's been reported on this site, fuel filters don't silt up over time, they block rapidly after a single bad fillup with water-contaminated fuel. Changing on a set schedule isn't going to prevent that. (FWIW, I don't recall ever changing a fuel filter on any of my cars, or ever having a problem with a clogged filter.)

Having said all that, I'll add this:

If the filter has never been changed out yet, then it still has the factory crimp-clamps on the hoses. These will add a bunch of hassle to the job if your first change happens by the side of the road, in the dark, 3 states away from home. Now might be a good time to get into the tank and replace those crimp-clamps with screw-tight fuel injection hose clamps.

Skip it. The potential for fuel filter issues is vastly overblown IMHO. When's the last time you changed on in your cage? They're not replaceable at all on the new hexhead series.

Joe Frickin' Friday
They're not replaceable at all on the new hexhead series.

eek.gif

Not replaceable at all??? How can that be? what happens in those rare cases where you do clog the filter with water/silt? Do you just buy a whole new tank assembly?

Ken

You are right about the non replaceable fuel filter on the new hexheads. I found this out yesterday at an independent BMW mechanics place in the L.A. area. At the same shop the mechanic said he recommends changing the fuel filter on the older models at about 18K-20K miles vs. the 24K. Just his opinion I guess.

I got a little behind in my service and did not do the 1st brake flush until last summer therefore I will not have the tank off for the 24K service. The brakes will get flushed again at 36K. As for filters getting clogged, I had it happen once on my car. I too think filter replacement is overdone especially since I am careful where and when I purchase fuel. (never when the truck is dumping, and always at high volume pumper stations.)

Thanks for the responses.

Bruce Barrow

A riding buddy is a BMW/Mercedes automobile mechanic. He flat states that he has never had a vehicle in for repair related to a plugged fuel filter. I asked him about my R1100RT and his K1200LT. He's just finished 24k service on his and has no intention of touching the fuel filter. His take is that fuels are much more carefully stored and handled these days and he just doesn't see the problem. In addition, as the owner, you have pumped all the fuel yourself and certainly are cautious about debris entering the tank. Just ride and enjoy; change the air filter which certainly does require regular maintenance.

Bruce smile.gifsmile.gif

P.S. My Cessna Skylane has no fuel filters other than sceens on the intake fuel lines; can't comment on newer fuel injected aircraft.

Some unsolicited cheap advice.

I just changed my fuel filter on my 04 RT at 30K and found when I blew air thru the old filter in the reverse direction that all kinds of black ugly stuff came outta there! As long as ya have the tank off it's not a real big deal to take care of that!

wave.gif

Don_Eilenberger

I just changed my fuel filter on my 04 RT at 30K and found when I blew air thru the old filter in the reverse direction that all kinds of black ugly stuff came outta there! As long as ya have the tank off it's not a real big deal to take care of that!

wave.gif

All that means is you picked up some bad gas sometime. It isn't an indication that everyone will have the same experience at the same mileage.

A FWIW - despite the former owner of my old K75S being charged for a new fuel filter every 6 months, when I got the bike - in 2003 - it still had the original 1987 dated fuel filter in it. It had never been changed - and the bike had 45k miles on it at the time. I did change it - and I also did the reverse blow through the filter to see if it had captured anything - and all that came out was clean gasoline. That was about 18 years and 45k miles.

My '04 RS got a new filter for it's 24k mile service that I did after I got it. The tank had some junk in it (sand and some other crud) - but - the filter showed no sign of being plugged and when I blew through it - nothing came out. Apparently the pump pickup is above the level where it would actually pick the stuff up - and/or the strainer on the pump input was fine enough to keep this crud out.

IMHO - the need for changing fuel filters has greatly diminished with the newer double-wall fiberglas tanks most stations are required by the EPA to have. They don't rust, they don't sweat internally and they don't allow water intrusion. I bought a new spare filter for the RS - but I never really expect to need it.

YMMV - and if you get a crap tank of fuel - the filter you put in 5 minutes before can instantly need changing..

Jim VonBaden
Skip it. The potential for fuel filter issues is vastly overblown IMHO. When's the last time you changed on in your cage? They're not replaceable at all on the new hexhead series.

On the GS this is true, but not on the ST, and IIRC the RT as well. The ST has an easily accessably outside the tank filter.

Jim cool.gif

Bruce Barrow

quote mrduck

mrduck

Not quite!! You sir, are what I call a study of one. I asked a master mechanic point blank. He services many vehicles over a 500 mile radius (we have no dealers in our area) and I would classify him as an expert. The point is not about being cheap or saving $$; changing a perfectly functioning filter is not preventative.

Sorry about your fuel problems but my 99 RT is going strong. It has the original fuel filter, fresh brake fluid, new air filter and "old" BMW synthetic rear drive/tranny lube. The internet is a great source of advice(a lot of amateur experts) but it's easy to get only the negative viewpoint. My guess is that very few BMW riders with trouble-free bikes take the time to write in a forum like this.

Now if the remains of the recent blizzard would melt we can all ride. Take care.

Bruce grin.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Bruce,

If you still have the orignial filter in after 8 years of service either your "master mechanic" is doing you a disservice or you are one lucky guy.

Fact is, filters are there to remove contaminants from the fuel system before they get to the areas (injectors) where small particulate matter may cause problems.

The BMW filter has a very fine mesh and, I don't care where you are in the country, it is likely to have blocked a bunch of stuff from getting to your injectors.

Given that a clogged filter will bring the bike to a halt and a partially clogged one my be subjecting the fuel pump to much higher pressures than normal, which, if said device fails, will also bring the bike to a halt, we "amateur" mechanics feel that regular replacement makes for cheap insurance against such an eventuality.

Replacement, in your garage, with the appropriate tools to hand, is about a 2 hour job. When done in conjunction with other maintenance which might require removal of the tank, it takes a little under an hour more. While on the side of the road, even if you have the parts and assuming it is not the dark of night, you are looking at a couple of hours, or, given your location, a long wait followed by a ride in a tow truck.

As with anything else, I guess, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Bruce Barrow

Ed,

That is the best reason for replacement, to avoid the beside the road hassle. But, how come both of my fuel injected cars with double the mileage of the bike have never needed replacements either. Jerry's point was that the fuels are much more carefully transported, stored, filtered etc. My buddy who burns auto fuel in his Cessna has a tank and filter on the back of his pickup(??rusty old steel tank??) and you can see the sight glass on the filter(about the size of a large tomato juice can) and trust me; there isn't anything showing in that after 6 years. I would hope that our motorcycle tanks, fuel lines etc., are at least that clean. Could it be that the changing of filters over? flexes the fuel lines and that's where the gunk comes from. I once had an old Chevy with a sight glass and that was always full of debris. Changed out the fuel tank which was rusty for a clean junk yard tank and problem went away.

I'm like working on cars, planes, motorcycles but like you not on the edge of the road while vacationing. I'll let you know if I get stranded this summer. I'll buy the filter and an extra throttle cable; that is a guarantee that I won't need either. Take care and thanks for your thoughts.

Bruce

Archived