IGNORED

ipod 30G Video

johnnash

I am planning a trip from Maryland to Colorado & Utah in May.Would anyone know how long this ipod will play music on the charged battery?Is it safe to hook it up to the acc.

jack to charge it while riding?

I forgot to mention I have an 05R12RT,I'm concerned about this canbus electrical system damaging my ipod if charging from acc.jack ???

I am planning a trip from Maryland to Colorado & Utah in May.Would anyone know how long this ipod will play music on the charged battery?Is it safe to hook it up to the acc.

jack to charge it while riding?

No telling how long the battery will run - simply too many variables (how new the battery is and how much charge it can hold, how efficiently the music has been stored on the drive, temperature, etc. etc.). Best case, for a new iPod I would expect at most 80% to 90% of the "marketing" run time.

As to your second question, you should be able to keep it safely plugged into a charger for the entire trip. I've done this many times. The new batteries require a "smart" charger which won't kill the battery like the older NiCad battery/charger systems. Sounds like a great trip! thumbsup.gif

I forgot to mention I have an 05R12RT,I'm concerned about this canbus electrical system damaging my ipod if charging from acc.jack ???
The charger will have a filter and protection circuitry. The canbus is probably much quieter than the electrical system of many cars and trucks.

If you just let it play straight through on either shuffle or through a long playlist, at a reasonable volume level, 8-10 hours is possible. If you mess with it a bunch, you can cut that in half. It buffers into memory if you leave it alone, less hard drive spinning=more play time.

I have a Griffin Airclick remote on mine, it cuts the play time in half.

bakerzdosen

Go get one of these and don't worry about it. Well worth the $50 if it's an issue. I personally wouldn't expect 80 hours, but 50-60 should easily be attainable.

If you don't already own the 30g iPod, consider the 60 (refurbished at the apple store) or the 80Gb models. The batteries last longer.

Couchrocket

My 60 Gig iPod Video will run 8-10 hours in my tank bag. But, as previously said, the more you mess with it, the more juice it drinks.

I just ordered one of the cool batteries! Very cool solution. Thanks for the tip!

i cHARGE mY 40G via my now electrified tank bag. I plug in the iPod like I would charge it in my car with an iGo.

I run a lead to my helmet - while it charges I'm listening to J.Geils or Edgar Winter Live or Yes or Robben Ford or Hamilton Loomis...you get the idea.

Hit radio shack and they have the correct connections for around $10.00. There's a specific iPod connection (white) and there's also one for my Sanyo phone...so i can charge whatever - when ever...slick.. thumbsup.gif

Thanks everyone for your input on this matter.I've been riding for about 33 years without music.Recently traded my K12LT for the R12RT.Liked having tunes on the LT,but couldn't hear it above 60mph.Looking forward to the ipod,downloaded about 500 CD's.Bought a pair of ER6i earbuds which I understand are the way to go on the bike.

Steve_Witmer

I purchased a supplemental battery pack (I think it's made by Belkin) last year. It holds 4AA batteries and on audio program it would probably run the iPod for several 8 hour days. And you can always find AA batteries at a gas station.

Apologies in advance for the slight hijack here, but....

Are there any issues with vibration when using a 30/60/80g video Ipod in a tankbag? I want to put my 80g Ipod in my tankbag but have been told the vibration may make the hard drive fail prematurely.

Mine's been spinning away for 25k mi. troublefree. I keep it under the mapcase plastic.

Apologies in advance for the slight hijack here, but....

Are there any issues with vibration when using a 30/60/80g video Ipod in a tankbag? I want to put my 80g Ipod in my tankbag but have been told the vibration may make the hard drive fail prematurely.

Something which may be of interest to you guys who travel with iPod videos: pretty soon, if not already, Google maps and directions will be available as iPod downloads.

Archived