IGNORED

My Texas Tall Tale

azkaisr

139324451-L.jpg

Last Tuesday Afternoon, the Hoonigans all came to the Love shack to get ready to moto to Texas. First to arrive was Jamie and Leslie. Since they were going to take the 300, I let Jamie play Moto-cyclist for a few minutes why Az Al got busy making Steve some earplugs. My main man KC just watches in wonder at the lunacy.

139324448-L.jpg

AZAL making another person wonder why they didn’t have these plugs sooner.

139324483-L.jpg

Meanwhile Angie, Shelley and Mama Hoon are inside making trouble. Don’t let that glib look fool you. I am sure they were talking about that best way to pass me in a curve again.

139324444-L.jpg

Next to arrive was SageRider.

139324455-L.jpg

139324457-L.jpg

Rather then cook something Pizza was decided. Jamie took care of the ordering and Mama Hoon labeled the boxes.

139328750-L.jpg

Of course before somebody could eat, a bike needed cleaning

139324431-L.jpg

Not soon after that, Philly showed up as did the Olsons! We had ourselves a party. One thing that I find so cool is that even though folks didn’t all go to Texas, they showed up on a work night to see us off.

139324437-L.jpg

Chris saying something profound.

139328732-L.jpg

Notice Ladies and Gentlemen how quickly Hoons make themselves at home. Laura, my favorite Pillion was a little shy. Of course any resemblance to a woman in Texas is purely coincidental. grin.gif

139324430-L.jpg

The next morning we were all up and ready to moto.

139324409-L.jpg

Picacho Peak Arizona. The goal was to get to Tucson, pick up JohnLT, and then head to Van Horn for the night.

139324405-L.jpg

We decided to have JohnLT meet us at the Pima Air Museum. Oh and in case you need to know. “There are bathrooms inside” Ask Steve. Here we all are in front of some Air Force Hand me down plane that they let the Marines fly. At least that is what Steve told me.

139324403-L.jpg

Passing one of the Billion Trucks on I-10. The road was actually not that bad once we got out of the Tucson area.

139324401-L.jpg

Jamie wouldn’t let us stop at all the cultural landmarks along the way. Bummer

139324397-L.jpg

Getting gas in Demming before eating at Denny’s

139324395-L.jpg

A twisty portion of I-10

139324389-M.jpg

No I didn’t stuff Phil into the trunk. But it sure was nice having a chase car!

139324386-M.jpg

Some of the local flora of Van Horn. Oh and the Train comes by so often you don’t even hear it. Right Mama Hoon?

139324383-L.jpg

I think Phil is a bad influence on Steve.

139324392-L.jpg

560 miles down.

139324375-L.jpg

Ok we are in the middle of nowhere in Van Horn Texas. So what happens next will in my opinion equal any other paranormal event I may experience. Phil is standing in front of me looking out over the parking lot when a car pulls in. He sees a pretty woman get out and says “She looks familiar”. I of course held my tongue. She then gets a young baby out of the car. He is ghost white. “Mary Margaret” he says. The woman almost drops the kid. It is the Bridesmaid from his wedding. They are moving to Phoenix from the DFW area and stopped at the hotel on a whim rather then drive on to El Paso . FREAKY!

139324372-L.jpg

I have an alibi but will admit that is one cute little kid.

139324369-L.jpg

Day Two is what I am going to call the Texas Hollywood Tour. Here we are I Marfa. This is where two of my favorite movies were made. GIANT with James Dean, and Fandango with Truman Sparks.

139324357-L.jpg

From there we went over to Alpine for breakfast at the Bread and Breakfast Bakery. Man what a great place to eat!! Amazing food and great atmosphere.

139321236-L.jpg

Thank the Good Lord Richard wasn’t there

139324348-L.jpg

It would break my heart to call somebody a geek in this tale…..

139324356-L.jpg

Gassing up in Sanderson Texas. Highway 90 is a great road to ride. No traffic, nice views and not many trucks.

139335875-L.jpg

Crossing the Pecos where the Honorable Roy Bean kept court was the next stop on the film tour.

139335894-L.jpg

Mama Hoon and Phil.

139335884-L.jpg

You know there is no law west of here right?

139335886-L.jpg

I keep having to tell people I am the much handsomer Neumann and that Paul is a distant 2nd at best!

139321222-L.jpg

Lunch in Del Rio was great too! This is another road food stop

139321204-L.jpg

Ok, I am a huge John Wayne fan. I loved the Alamo movie and as we decided which way to go, I was adamant that we go by where he filmed that movie back in the late 50’s. Thanks to all who let me go live out this dream. This is the street where he filmed a lot of the movie outside of the old fort.

139321193-L.jpg

I had the place almost all to myself and they let me take my bike right up front to get pictures in front of the old mission that was built for the film. What I didn’t know was just how many other things were filmed here. It is still an active filming location today!

139321185-L.jpg

We got to the hotel just in time to see the ceremony of Hannabone giving Limecreek the sacred Bud and candy bar. I have no clue but it brought me close to tears.

139340996-L.jpg

Nothing like a good story of Texas Justice from the Lawman.

139341003-L.jpg

Ok I am not going to spend a lot of time on Steve’s get off. It was crazy slippery. How Limecreek and I got through it, I won’t ever really know. It was not skill as much as luck for us. I am just happy Steve is ok.

139340999-L.jpg

I will say that Whip and Louise are two of the greatest people I have ever met. Limecreek made one phone call and help was on the way. All of you should give the man a big hug next time you see him. He is that special.

139321180-L.jpg

Of course his wingman had something to say.

139321168-L.jpg

I think he was really playing sudoku here.

139321159-L.jpg

“In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history.

There lived a strange race of people...the Druids.

No one knows who they were, or what they were doing...

but their legacy remains...hewn into the living rock of Stonehenge…”

139321155-L.jpg

This place rocked

139321149-L.jpg

Oh and I will let Hannabone tell you about the woman that wanted to sleep with him in Leakey.

139317462-L.jpg

Meanwhile back at the ranch….Jim and Hannabone discover that beer is good.

139321065-L.jpg

I have been forbidden by Shelley from getting an FJR…..but man was this one nice.

139321070-L.jpg

I’d leave my kids with this guy…no problem

139321077-L.jpg

Saturday, it was decided that we would go sightseeing and I told Whip that I would ride sweep. Now with 15 bikes it was hard to keep track of everyone but we did great.

139321080-L.jpg

I would follow him to the gates of a Harley Davidson factory and back!

139321083-L.jpg

Ok another weird Texas thing….They say a bag of water keeps the flies away. Never heard of that.

139321086-L.jpg

MMMM Just like Mom makes….seriously good food there.

139321095-L.jpg

I’d like to think that me and ole LBJ would have gotten along just fine.

139321098-L.jpg

I think I am going to call my next album ….Making Drunken Friends in Luckenbach

139321113-L.jpg

A super highlight for me was meetin up with Eric and his family. They are so wonderful. If there wasn’t a restraining order, I would spend a hell of a lot more time with them. Seriously great to see ya man!

139321116-L.jpg

Coming home Sunday Phil and I hit the rain storm I posted about earlier. It was here that the woman living in the middle of nowhere working at a Fina station called me Stupid. She was probably right

139321119-L.jpg

Ahh back in the Grand Canyon State. I will say this again…Texas drivers out in the country are the most wonderful people I have ever met. I will go back to Texas someday.

139321123-L.jpg

Back home. 900 miles in a day and a lot of great memories.

Thanks all for sharing another great week of my life.

Tom thumbsup.gif

AdventurePoser

Sob...sniffle....I so wanted to go! bncry.gif At least I have your excellent pix and commentary to fall back on. Thanks for posting! thumbsup.gif

Steve in So Cal

Great tale... Wish I could have been there too. BTW, I'm a John Wayne fan as well. My favorite wasn't filmed there, however. The Quiet Man...my #1 movie.

Oh, and the "Bud and candy bar" was something we ALL learned about at last years Unrally. I've been wonderin' when 'Bone would show this to everyone.

Mike O

Great pix and write-up Tom. I didn't think an 1150RT would do 142 mph. Was that from this trip or did you put the GPS on someone else's bike. lmao.giflmao.gif

Great pix and write-up Tom. I didn't think an 1150RT would do 142 mph. Was that from this trip or did you put the GPS on someone else's bike. lmao.giflmao.gif

Well it was raining. I think it was when I was going down a big hill on the way home trying to catch up to Phil. I doubt it was much over 120 really, just a GPS glitch. That is what Jamie thinks too.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Rocket_Cowboy
Now with 15 bikes it was hard to keep track of everyone but we did great.

You sure that wasn't 13 bikes? :D

Ok another weird Texas thing….They say a bag of water keeps the flies away. Never heard of that.

Did you see any flies?

139321086-L.jpg

No flies there, must have worked pretty good! grin.gif

Great write up! thumbsup.gif

Now with 15 bikes it was hard to keep track of everyone but we did great.

You sure that wasn't 13 bikes? :D

Did you see any flies?

139321086-L.jpg

No flies there, must have worked pretty good! grin.gif

Great write up! thumbsup.gif

Look, if the stupid silver RT hadn't parked in Fredericksburg and Roland the Roadie hadn't disappeared.....and I could count past 6....

Not making excuses though grin.gif

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

PS: I didn't see any flies before I got to the bag either

Thanks all for sharing another great week of my life.

Thank you! What a great week it was.

Great pizza & party!

Great riding and eating!

Great report & photos!

Francois_Dumas

Took me a while to go through it all..... great pictures, wonderful comments.. thanks so much for sharing!

I love those 'John Wayne' shots too.. thanks !!

Oh, the hand-me-down aircraft is a 'Scooter' wink.gif

Francois

cOMMANDO tOMMY..! absolute wonderful pics and report sonny..! Thanks for sharing it with us.

As for the beer and candy bar - you can thank Whip for remembering to get the "formula" and LimeCreek for the idea..!

That UnRally last year was a flippin' hoot and this Texas Hill Country deal was equally as fun.

?I'll be sitting down this weekend to do a full ride report too.!

Thanks again Tom.! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Oh and I will let Hannabone tell you about the woman that wanted to sleep with him in Leakey.

Is this true? And he didn't even have Sir Rodney baiting for him?

It is true and yes he had Sir Rodney with him.......and it was classic hANNAbONE...I almost fell of my bike laughing.

Whip

It is true and yes he had Sir Rodney with him.......and it was classic hANNAbONE...I almost fell of my bike laughing.

Whip

mUSTA bEEN the combo of the Red hot Sprint STA and my Blue PowerRanger suit... lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gifthumbsup.gifeek.gifdopeslap.gif

It was none of the sexy stuff...the "Beer Delivery Guy" T-shirt did it lmao.gif

I gotta get me one of them-thar shirts lmao.gif

You know, if that Power Ranger suit was purple, John would like a bit Smurf like!

I think I am going to call my next album ….Making Drunken Friends in Luckenbach

Are there any other kinds of friends at the post office?

Yeeha! Stephen

Great write-up and photos, Tom.

Are we Twin Sons of Different Mothers?

That could be my garage. Same door, fridge and water heater are on the back wall of my garage.

How about them photo ops!

834915-AlamonMea.JPG

And check out that bike set-up!

Did I tell everyone here how much I Love Redheads?

Thanks for the story. wave.gif

834915-AlamonMea.JPG.891354ec0197b7e40247aee3d3e5b6fd.JPG

Great tale Tom! It was a pleasure to finally meet you. I'm in CA this week--Sacramento and finally got all the pictures downloaded last night--lousy connection in the hotel.

Did you every get your honorary Texan certificate??

No he didn't get that there certificate you speak of... But he is somebody, he got the shirt from Luckenback, TX that says so!

great write up!

139321070-L.jpg

You might leave your kids with this guy, but.....

never your beer because you wouldn't get it back. lmao.gif

139321070-L.jpg

fUNNY tHING is - we're passing out OUR beer to friends hanging near our digs for the weekend.

A song flits in my head -- "That's what friends are for.."

Okay - I guess so.

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

I wore that shirt just for the stomp factor.! lmao.giflmao.gif

(*quire frankly, I'm on the lean and mean scene - Moose enroled us both in a 10 week "Ultimate Body Shaping" dealie here in DullMoan...so, no sugar no pop, eating portioned meals and whoofing down six meals a day with tons 'o water...oh, and the exercise---did I mention the punching & kicking and resistance band training??

Holy Schnikes...if I hafta do one more forward leg lunge...!dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif*)

I'll be a new man by the time Torrey comes around -- what say, about 205 and ready for my first beer in weeks...yeah baby..!

139321070-L.jpg

fUNNY tHING is - we're passing out OUR beer to friends hanging near our digs for the weekend.

A song flits in my head -- "That's what friends are for.."

Okay - I guess so.

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

I wore that shirt just for the stomp factor.! lmao.giflmao.gif

(*quire frankly, I'm on the lean and mean scene - Moose enroled us both in a 10 week "Ultimate Body Shaping" dealie here in DullMoan...so, no sugar no pop, eating portioned meals and whoofing down six meals a day with tons 'o water...oh, and the exercise---did I mention the punching & kicking and resistance band training??

Holy Schnikes...if I hafta do one more forward leg lunge...!dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif*)

I'll be a new man by the time Torrey comes around -- what say, about 205 and ready for my first beer in weeks...yeah baby..!

You look like you've been sculpted! lmao.giflmao.gif

I'm doing some body sculpting too, with a three pound bag of M and M's. May have to buy a LT Light Truck before my next trip dopeslap.gif

Looking forward to seeing that lean, mean, beer drinking machine in ten weeks. Who need's Rod to bait the ladies for them. . . . lmao.gif

jIM...3 pounds of M & M's?? Daaaaaaaang

Are You starting something like LimeCreek did with the 3 Musketeers and Budweiser??

Maybe M&M's and Coors Light...or M&M's and Boulevard Pale Ale??

Man bring it - I like the idea..!

Archived