IGNORED

1st time

strat

jusut finished my fluid exchange, engine, tranny and final drive. I put synthetic in it all the way. In the final drive I put what the manual says but it didn't quite come up to the bottom threads as I've seen posted. I figure I'm OK but If I'm not please post back...last thing to do this season is the brakes but I'm waiting on a mity-vac to do the job. I'[ll be back for some tips when that occurs in a week or so....

Cheers

strat clap.gif

There does seem to be a disconnect between the visual check and BMW's stated capacity. I just put in the prescribed amount and let it go at that.

Just use what amount the manual calls for . I know from working on cars the prescribed amount was below the fill plug by quite a bit usually the first knuckle on your finger . Overfilling causes seal problems .Dave

I'll echo putting in the prescribed amount. In the rear drive of my R1100RT, this results in an oil level well below the fill plug. There have been a lot of posts on this issue, some say it should be at the fill plug threads, but you're safe by measuring the prescribed amount and filling therewith. This is what I've always done.

HRminneapolis

Agree. Measure it and don't put in more. On my Honda that happens to coincide with the height of the filler plug threads, but many bikes don't.

Archived