IGNORED

BMW battery tender help

Stephen_Chase

Stephen_Chase

I recently picked-up on eBay a BMW battery tender (BMW part # 72 60 7 679 040) for use on my R1100 RT.

Does anyone have the user guide for this unit you can send me?

I am using to charge a Odyssey in my '96 R1100RT. In the first use the lite display gradually shifted from red to green over a couple of hours. Last time I tried it it stayed red & did not transit to green. Why did this happen?

Thanks!

Stephen

Yes, the BMW unit is made by Deltran. The charging may take hours. Red is not charged, Green is charged. Flashing green is somewhere between 80% and fully charged. That code should be printed right on the unit.

-MKL

harleyjohn45

i bought a battery tender a few years back.. i think it was about 65.00 then. if failed right away. i threw it away and started buying the 600 ma battery maintainers from harbor freight. i buy them on sale at 4.95 each. i have about 15 of them in use, even on cars, airboat, tractors, & lawn equipment. they work great. good luck with your tender, i was not so lucky.

Jerry Johnston

I've found I have to sometimes hook every thing up 1st then plug it into the wall. I started with a cheap Deltran purchased from Harbor Frieght but it kept screwing up my clock when I used it. I've used the Battery Tender for the last 8 years with out problems.

Stephen_Chase

Would you have a user guide for your unit you might copy for me?

Persistence pays off. For the group, I left the unit plugged in and it eventually transitted to yellow then green. I am much amazed at the parasitic load these bikes have.

I would add that Rusty at Max BMW is very helpful.

Stephen

I've found I have to sometimes hook every thing up 1st then plug it into the wall. I started with a cheap Deltran purchased from Harbor Frieght but it kept screwing up my clock when I used it. I've used the Battery Tender for the last 8 years with out problems.

The directions say this is a must.

Jerry Johnston
Would you have a user guide for your unit you might copy for me?

Steven here is the exact location of the users guide and trouble shooting guide. web page

Stephen_Chase

Thanks Jerry & all. The advice regarding attaching the plug-in to the bike before connecting to AC solved the problem. Cheers!

clap.gifStephen

Archived