IGNORED

Demystify 'isolated' autocom cable please

daveinatlanta

daveinatlanta

I want to bike power a cell phone and ipod and see here that an isolating cable is recommended. Rather than buy one of these for about $50, can't a reasonably talented and electrically inclined person simply build one or, in my case, two? I have tons of shielded cable and Radio Shack has plenty of parts - if I need them. What I don't have is a plan to build from, assuming it is possible. So, just what does an isolating cable consist of and how is it constructed??

Thx

do you have the cable with the 1/8" jack?

If so you can buy a noise filter for @ $25. I have 2 on my bike for XM and GPS

Aluminum_Butt

The mystery is "just" an isolation transformer. I emphasize "just" because specing one out that will provide quality audio goes past "electrically inclined" and more to electrical engineer.

Radio Shack offers a ground loop isolator that's a little more cost effective ($17) HERE.

There's some interesting articles HERE and HERE and HERE

I doubt this applies to your cell phone. Most phones these days have fairly special connectors on them. You are paying for the connector and the knowledge of how the pinouts have to be wired for the Autocom. Probably not hard to make a copy if you can get a cable to examine. But that's only a guess.

Radio Shack offers a ground loop isolator that's a little more cost effective ($17) HERE.

The only problem with that one is the RCA connectors would need to be adapted to 1/8" jacks (assuming that he is using the 1/8" jacks).

WirelessRider

You Might find this to be very useful, it is small and requires no adapters to get to 3.5mm stereo cable size.

I use this one on intercom systems all the time and it works well. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-X4nA6NISQOz...=3&sortBy=3

If you are intent on making your own, let me know and I will give you schematics for general purpose isolation cables.

This info is in relation to ground loop isolators only,

Autocom itself, you are own your on, no experience with their units.

Later Spike

Archived