IGNORED

anyone use ATE Super Blue for brake fluid in their bike?

OoPEZoO

I want to flush out my brake lines, but the only brake fluid I have sitting in the garage is ATE Super Blue. I've been using it in my BMW cages for years, but wasn't sure if it was ok to use on the RT.

it is listed as a 100% synthetic that is rated DOT4. It is compatable and supposedly will mix with DOT3, DOT4, DOT5.1. It is still sealed.

Like I said, I have been using it in my cars for years and it works great. I'm more curious about if people have used it in their bikes.

I believe that this is a standard DOT4 formulation, and if so then OK. I have read of several forum members here who use the ATE fluid in BMW motorcycles and shift between the Blue and Gold so they can tell when they get to new fluid when doing fluid changes. I have the same problem, probably just means that we are changing the fluid much more often than necessary... but that's another thread... wink.gif

I believe that this is a standard DOT4 formulation, and if so then OK. I have read of several forum members who use the ATE fluid in BMW motorcycles and shift between the Blue and Gold so they can tell when they get to new fluid when doing fluid changes. I have the same problem, probably just means that we are changing the fluid much more often than necessary... but that's another thread... wink.gif

That is what I do with my cars. I have 2 cans of each blue and gold in the garage pretty much all the time

it is listed as a 100% synthetic that is rated DOT4. It is compatable and supposedly will mix with DOT3, DOT4, DOT5.1. It is still sealed.

Like I said, I have been using it in my cars for years and it works great. I'm more curious about if people have used it in their bikes.

I have 2 cans left over from the M3. I was going to ask the same question.

DavidEBSmith

I have 2 cans of each blue and gold in the garage pretty much all the time

Sealed cans, right? 'Cause if you're changing your brake fluid from cans that have been open and absorbing moisture for a while, you're not really accomplishing much.

Sealed cans, right? 'Cause if you're changing your brake fluid from cans that have been open and absorbing moisture for a while, you're not really accomplishing much.

Of course.......Personaly, I don't think its THAT big a deal, but I got into the habit of replacing all of my vehicles brake fluid at the same time that way I'm not leaving opened fluid on the shelf for years at a time.

I've heard that it could stain your clear plastics i.e. rear reservoir & front reservoir window.

I recently found that to be true in the case of my 03 GT.

The plastics do appear to have a slight blue tinge but not sure if its a stain or light reflection from the fluid.

I use this stuff in my race cars. It handles heat really well, much more heat than anyone on this board is gonna generate with a bike.

BTW, if I have a partial can left at the end of the weekend, I throw it away. One really ought to be keeping new unopened cans in the garage. It's not that expensive to risk water contamination.

Archived